Force of Two: In Depth stories from 2 Puerto Rico volunteers on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4AQ, Oct 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah.

Balanced projection of the truth would do just fine:)

K5WW likes this.
  2. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

The MOU is available here
    http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Public Service/MOUs/2016_01_06_MOU_ARRL_Red Cross_FINAL.pdf

4. Response Activities

a. National headquarters coordination: Operational coordination between Red Cross national headquarters and ARRL headquarters will occur through the primary points of contact as shown in Attachment A, Organization Contact Information or other officially designated staff. ​

b. Communications: Whenever there is a disaster requiring the use of amateur radio communications resources and/or facilities, the local Red Cross region or chapter may request the assistance of the local ARES organization responsible for the jurisdiction of the scene of the disaster. This assistance may include:
    • alert and mobilization of ARRL ARES® personnel in accordance with a prearranged plan;
    • establishment and maintenance of fixed, mobile, and portable station emergency communication facilities for local radio coverage;
    • point-to-point contact between Red Cross personnel and locations;
    • the maintenance of the continuity of communications for the duration of the emergency period until normal communications channels are substantially restored, or until radio communications are no longer necessary in support of the response to the disaster. ​

3. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

CYA at all costs. Truth... we have a whole bunch of facts but we will never have the truth.

4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the SHARES insider input. Rethinking about my last post, OTOH there isn't any value for SHARES to minimize reports of their contribution so why not go with their story. Yet the ARRL news release clearly states something significantly different, which is disturbing.

MOU's notwithstanding, for whatever reason a decision was made to pull the plug on "The Force" and apparently prematurely from the "customers" perspective. It wasn't for lack of willing and competent amateur radio human resources in the field.

I wonder if the rationale for mission termination will be ever be accurately, completely and / or truthfully revealed. Despite being in the era of "fake news" there ought to be no place for it in amateur radio EMCOMM.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    KG7LEA likes this.
  5. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

I will continue to hope for a "lessons learned" and "what we will do better next time."

Do other ARES groups do after action reports? Email makes it very easy.

W1YW likes this.
  6. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be nice, truth, but when you have the faithful that see 'bashers' everywhere it won't happen soon.

Perhaps it's time for the emcomm contingent to separate from ARRL and form their own organization. If you don't think that's possible take a look at what some of
    the CW NTS guys did with Radio Relay International. ARRL has some problems of their own right now that don't look good for the future, read the latest EC
    minutes if you doubt it <http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Board Reports/2016/EC October 2017/Fall 2017 EC Minutes final.pdf> It's already
    late in the game and options should be considered.

7. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

And I thought I was the only one to mutter that this week.

8. NS0S

NS0S Ham Member QRZ Page

AI7PM likes this.
  9. NS0S

NS0S Ham Member QRZ Page

I know I personally used your modem. There was a second one in Florida and one in Cancun I used. The bands weren't always great. If it connected it would work for a few moments and drop off when the bands changed. Anyways, someone sent me a link to this forum. I saw your name and thought I would thank you for having a node for us to use. The Caribbean has zero nodes. You literally cover all those islands and the whole central east Atlantic. I imagine you get a bit of boat traffic too. Thanks for being able to set that up for people to use.

KX4O likes this.
  10. NS0S

NS0S Ham Member QRZ Page

That news release is from the same lady who lied multiple times to me and about other items. I believe the truth is in the ARRL story but it is spun to make it seem one one.

SHARES operators were sent to Puerto Rico to help fill the communications void for FEMA. The Red Cross sent us to help communicate for the Red Cross. Rouge members wanted to support FEMA and left us hanging at the Red Cross. Those member that were there for a PR campaign at FEMA raised their hands and said look at what I can do with my radio. FEMA responded that they have their own team that does that.

No hospital was replaced by SHARES operators that I was aware of. Not in the sense that I didnt leave my post until properly relieved. I am sure the SHARES member is on target with what they posted. I am actually a SHARES member too.

We weren't replaced by SHARES member. SHARES member who use some of the same technology we used came to Puerto Rico as we were leaving. They had a different mission.

KX4O, K5WW and AI7PM like this.