ad: CQMM-1

New ICOM software - Time Adjustment - ST4003W

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC3DS, Dec 2, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AC3DS

AC3DS Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom has released a new program for Windows and Android to allow you to update the clock of your USB enabled Icom radio from your computer. The manual states that this works for the Icom 705, 7100, 7300, 7600, 7610, 7850/51, and 9700. It is a simple little program and worth checking out. Here is a video I made about it:

WA6QHD, KD2RJM, N0OU and 15 others like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess this solves the internal clock battery issue.
    73 from,
    The K0UO "Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire, I'm In the Air or On the Air daily

3. VY1RW

VY1RW Ham Member QRZ Page

this looks like a useless up date for apple computers users!

KC8UJP, KZ4R, K6EFA and 2 others like this.
  4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally have no use for this but it makes a 'feller wonder why they went through the trouble to make the application and didn't give an option to auto run/update at computer startup or at a user defined interval.

WA6TWJ, KJ7WT, KA9YYZ and 2 others like this.
  5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps lack of memory in the radios.

AK5B likes this.
  6. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for posting your fine video, Drew; it will come in handy for my IC-9700. Now if there was only a similar fix for my Elecraft K3...! (such fine rigs but with continually wonky clocks)

Jeff

K0PIR, AA0YY and K8CGS like this.
  7. KO4CES

KO4CES Ham Member QRZ Page

May the Force be with you, Drew.

N7XCZ likes this.
  8. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Icom, works as it should for me. :):):)

KA4DPO, AF4KK and MM0JNL like this.
  9. K9RDU

K9RDU Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know why they did either. You can hook up a gps if you need real accuracy. You could also script CI-V commands to sync with the system clock.
    Is this even an issue? I set the clock on an IC-7100 2 months ago. Just checked it for the first time and it's still within 2 seconds.
    They didn't give the option to run at certain times because that functionality already exists in every modern OS, and if that's too much of a "deep dive" for someone, scheduler apps are a dime a dozen.

10. KO4CES

KO4CES Ham Member QRZ Page

WSJT-X system requirement necessitates ". . . synchronizing the computer clock to UTC within ±1 second." Sortof analogous to throwing the football too soon for the wide receiver to catch the ball.

N5QXP, WB8NXR, HB9HNU and 2 others like this.
  11. WB4MIO

WB4MIO Ham Member QRZ Page

I for one appreciate it since the clock battery in my 7300 has died. GPS sync is fine for my 705, but since the 7300 doesn't have an internal GPS this helps.
    What would have been even better would have been an easily replaceable button cell in the radio in the first place.

W4MEK, KB2SMS and PA0MHS like this.
  12. W5ZZ

W5ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder what kind of battery is there ? Or is it a ionistor?
    Clock in my IC-7300 still working good , maybe because I use the radio almost every day?

13. K9RDU

K9RDU Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I don't understand what you're trying to say. Syncing the computer clock has absolutely nothing to do with the radio clock unless you are using a radios built-in ft8/rtty functionality instead of a computer.

G0DJA, W6FVO, KD1ELK and 1 other person like this.
  14. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

The battery inside the 7300 and the 9700 is a "whopping" 1 mAh rechargeable lithium-ion cell which provides for appr 55 days of power to the RTC. These batteries fail after one or two years and then only hold charge for a few days. The clock chip simply drains this battery beyond the discharge limits of a Li-Ion battery so the entrie design of this circuit ensures that the battery will fail if the 7300/9700 is left unpowered for too long.

In the 7300 the battery is easily accessible but in the 9700 it is hidden under a soldered-down shield and thus very hard to replace. It is really beyond me why Icom did it this way. One would expect they learned from their screw-up in the 7300. Instead, they made it worse.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    HA3FLT likes this.
  15. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, but that would have made sense. ;)

Welcome to 2021 and the "There's an app for that!" generation.

K8XG and AK5B like this.