ad: CQMM-1

HR2.0 - Best Handheld Ham Radio for Off Grid | Hunting - Survival Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Dec 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

wow

Here in Ak using a radio while hunting is a crime...

KC5HWB likes this.
  2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in VA it isn't unless you're using the radio to coordinate hunters around game or some such. Even then I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for it. I suspect it's an anti-poaching measure and not intended to be used against legitimate hunters who are trying to maintain contact with each other (seems prudent to know where your hunting buddies are and if they're having problems).

Chris

3. KI4POT

No confusion for me. Off-Grid means not on the established power supply network (ie mains power and such). I did tease the OP about bringing the grid with him, but that's because my preferred style of camping is much more primitive and I saw a bunch of campers and the implied generator. I've had friends live in more primitive digs full time.

I don't get the attacks and sour grapes myself. Nor do I understand why one video portraying an opinion gets such nasty and persistent attacks, but another one gets adulation and reference as "established fact" down the line. It so clearly personal that some folks really should feel ashamed.

Regarding the OP's video, I personally found no value in it. Not because it was bad per se, but because all I do radio-wise is off-grid and portable. I also spend a lot of time outdoors, away from civilization, and in places where cellphones don't work. But, that doesn't mean there's a guy new to radio and not an experienced outdoorsman who wouldn't find the video useful. Then there's the effort it takes to produce the video. I certainly can't do that. I doubt I'm charismatic enough to present the material, any material to be honest, in an engaging and interesting fashion. Frankly, I'd like to see some of the naysayers produce some content of their own since they seem to be experts and critiquing others.

Chris

KC5HWB and KD5BVX like this.
  4. KG4UDW

KG4UDW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's interesting, can you expand on it? Is this something the game warden would ticket you for if he spotted the antenna or is it like @KI4POT said a charge that gets added on to other more serious criminal charges?

5. KI4POT

Just to add clarification from VA's side...

This is the sum total of radio-related regulation in VA's hunting laws:
    IIRC, when I took my hunter's safety course 23 years ago, it could be interpreted that the first rule applied to hunters using radio to coordinate around animal movements ("hey bubba, there's a deer heading in your direction"), but I've never heard of anyone being charged with that.

Chris

6. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The UV5R was not in this list of radios, but generally we are using 146.52 simplex

7. KC5HWB

That's quite strange

8. KC5HWB

When I read that first part it says "except on dogs or raptors" so is good to know that hunting with dinosaurs is legal. ;)

But I read that as "radio trackers that you tag the animal with to follow it around" not handheld radios to communicate with your buddies. Otherwise, how would a dog use a radio?

Of course, most of these laws are state regulated, so they can vary from state to state throughout the country

9. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not really. If the bears had guns and radios it would probably be allowed.

10. KC5HWB

By that logic, are you not allowed to hunt bears with guns, since the bear isn't also using a gun?

Using radios to communicate with other hunters for safety and information sharing should always be allowed, imo. I can see the problem with trackers being tagged on the animal, of course. But I find it highly unlikely that a handheld radio would be an effective tool to use with another person for purposes of surrounding an animal during a hunt. I'm sure it has been tried, but in all of my life hunting since I was in high school, I've never seen anything like that

KD5BVX and KG4UDW like this.
  11. KI4POT

That's the intent, but it was also mentioned it could apply to hunters using radio to coordinate amongst themselves to corner, corral, chase, etc animals. Though, I suspect that might have been an over-interpretation of the regs by the hunter safety instructor. As I said earlier, nobody has ever had an issue with the use of handheld radios while in the field hunting in this region.

Chris

KC5HWB likes this.
  12. KG4UDW

KG4UDW Ham Member QRZ Page

A little searching of http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildliferegulations.hunting
    I was able to download the 2020-2021 regulations and found some info about radios on page 18 under General Restrictions:
    Using wireless communication to take a specific animal by
    a person until after 3:00 a.m. following the day after the use
    of the device, EXCEPT:
    -- Communications equipment may be used for safety but may
    not be used to aid in taking of game.

-- In the Unit 20D bison hunt, the use of ground-based
    wireless communications to locate bison is allowed.
    -- In Targeted moose hunts, the use of ground-based wireless
    communication to locate individual moose for harvest is
    allowed.
    I changed some of the formatting to highlight the part relevant to this discussion.

Looks like you're safe to have that 2m HT on you while hunting just don't announce game locations or movement. In my search for this I found reference to cell phones in the AK code 5 AAC 92.080.7 and it looks like AK decided rather than try to list every device type to just summarize with wireless so don't text your friends a photo of where that Caribou is hiding either.

KC5HWB and KD5BVX like this.
  13. KI4UYA

KI4UYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Since I don't follow the "You Tubers" anymore, It was fun reading all the posts here. Thanks for the giggles. IMHO it's all about the free gear that the influencers get. As long as the companies decide to keep doing it, we will have to endure this dribble. As an example.....go to You Tube and search IC-705. Must be 30 +/- reviews on just that radio alone. At 15 minutes per video, that's over 7 1/2 hours of video.

G7DAZ likes this.
  14. W7OMH

W7OMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice Video Jason I like information. I am a HAM just for the fact that this could happen at anytime "What is a kill switch? A kill switch refers to the government’s authority to disconnect commercial and private wireless networks—affecting both cellphones and the internet—in the event of an emergency, such as a viable threat of a terrorist attack or lots of other scenarios that come to mind!" Nothing wrong with having a camp you can go to while the country "Builds back Better". Wake up!

KD5BVX and KC5HWB like this.
  15. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

A simple web search yields several pages on this to include court cases.

And yes, the fish and fur guy use scanners to catch folks at this.

We have a real problem with overly wealthy out of state 'hunters' thinking the law doesn't apply to them - oddly, it does.

N0TZU likes this.