ad: M2Ant-1

HR2.0 - Best Handheld Ham Radio for Off Grid | Hunting - Survival Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Dec 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All I ever said was, why does he make those absurd faces on the title page (whatever it's called) of his videos?
    A lot of those guys do, roll their eyes off to the side, make a stupid expression, and point to some radio in a cloud. Weird, really weird. Is that supposed to make us want to watch the video?
    I'm talking about Crash Course, Callum the DX Commander guy, etc.

KR3DX and WE4B like this.
  2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Once again, your tax dollars should be paying for robust professional communications system. As a taxpayer if you are relying on amateur radio, you are getting short changed.
    Uh... okay... I'm sorry that it bothers you that I choose to only show satellite contacts. I hate that it bothers you.
    What am I supposed to change? A poster stated that I was an Extra and didn't represent amateur radio. I explained to him that I was a well rounded amateur and did represent several facets of amateur radio. I also pointed out that he hasn't upgraded in almost seven years and, as such, should not point fingers at anyone.
    If you ever, in the future, want to be able to find out this info your own, you can find it on AE7Q.com. I went from a Tech to a Tech+ to a General to an Extra. I really don't recall how long I was a Tech+ before I was a General. You're welcome to look it up if you want to do so.

Happy Thursday afternoon.

3. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, might not be my style or yours but it is what they do. But I've seen that all over YouTube, not just from a few. Most, even Ham Nation, have a thumbnail they use to get attention (a few episodes ago it was Bob holding his dog), though not all do it in the same fashion as you described. My guess is someone somewhere (in some genre) started it and it kind of snowballed from there. I'm not going to diss someone for going that route but it usually isn't to my taste either. If I made videos I could create the thumbnail like I wanted to... but it's their channel, not mine...or yours.

KC5HWB likes this.
  4. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, alrighty then... rather than compare ham radio with NASA, I am going back to my original post on this thread which questioned the title of this thread. If anyone is relying on amateur radio for survival, they are playing a fools game. With today's technology, we have means of reliable communication which do not involve amateur radio. If someone is so concerned that they will need an amateur radio to survive, they should be counseled to look into getting a Garmin inReach, a PLB or a satellite phone. Amateur radio is great for casual communications but to rely on it for survival is ludicrous.

That's all folks... have a great Thursday afternoon!

KG4UDW likes this.
  5. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is a proven tactic that makes people on YouTube want to click on the video. The video wasn't made for QRZ, it was simply shared here.

6. KC5HWB

No one used a Garmin inReach or a Sat Phone in the aftermath of 911 or Hurricanes Katrina, Harvey, etc to send bulk traffic and messages into and out of the area, since all of the infrastructure was either down or (most likely) over-saturated due to everyone trying to make phone calls to loved one at the same time.

Thinking that Amateur Radio For Survival is a term only used for Prepping, Preparedness BEFORE a disaster is what I find lubricous.

Also to be fair, I never said anything about Prepping or Preppers in my video. Nor did I mention loss of cell signal, etc. The point of the video was talking about which radios I use for comms....both with repeaters and on Simplex...when at my hunting lease, which has no grid power or connected facilities.

I've seen lots of positive comments here, so I thank all of you - and those who are bickering, I don't think you actually caught the point of the video - or at least your complaining comments don't really have anything to do with this specific subject discussed specifically with the video, but moreso in an overall capacity. At the very least, several of you have given me some ideas for new videos, so whether you meant to or not, I am getting great information for some upcoming episodes.

73 to all.

KD5BVX likes this.
  7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

They are grid systems and generate no power when the grid drops. It's cheaper to do and the system has no batteries.

K8XG likes this.
  8. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Why was it shared here? That's really the issue. Many "content" producers who actually enlighten other hams won't come here anymore because as soon as they post a vid it's driven down the page by silliness and ne'er do wells looking to increase cliks.
    That's really my only issue is the "look at me" producers force out the ones with real value to the viewer. Your just creating noise for noises sake more than raising the bar. I watch more than a dozen content creators and most will not post here anymore.
    Of those that do maybe one or two vids once in a great while. Not my business what QRZ wants for the site but it's gone down hill lately as far as hard info goes. I think myself along with many others that the slide began with your crew decided to camp here. Of course that's just my opinion but by the likes my posts get I would say it shared by more than a few. I will take content over self promotion any day.

KR3DX, G7DAZ and WN1MB like this.
  9. N5WTF

N5WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

And on my parting note, if you can't rely on amateur radio for survival purposes then you lack the knowledge and skills to MAKE it work and have no business trying to counsel ANYONE on anything amateur radio related. Just sit in your bubble and send packet QSOs through satellites.

Here is a quote for the day:

If that mans brain was refined into gasoline, there wouldn't be enough available to power a piss ants motorcycle halfway around a BB.--My Grandfather.

KD5BVX and KC5HWB like this.
  10. KC5HWB

Because I've traded DMs with the Owner of this site and not only are they OK with it being shared here, but they also requested it.

I know just as many content creators and podcasters who don't come here any longer due to all the negativity of Hams bickering and complaining about other Hams sharing their knowledge.

This isn't actually true, it is just a fantasy you have developed inside of your own head and convinced yourself of. If I wanted to do "look at me" videos on YouTube, I wouldn't pick a niche like Amateur Radio which A) lots of people have never heard of and B) whose average age is 20-30 years older than me.
    I would find something closer to my age demographic and something more of the population is actually familiar with.

If it has gone so far downhill, why do you still post here, then?

I have as much right to post here and anyone does. I don't complain when other folks post vids, blog posts, new articles, even though I might not agree with what they are saying. Ham Radio Operators have access to this site, and as I a Ham, I have the same rights that you do to be here.

"By the likes my posts get" - this is the part where I ask you if you are just here for the clicks or for self promotion, the way you have claimed I am many times.

KM6ZJK, KD5BVX, VU3DRU and 1 other person like this.
  11. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Classy. Real classy.

Here is a puzzler for the day:

Find the spelling error and punctuation mark omissions in the quoted text.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2020
    WE4B likes this.
  12. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Motorola APX-series.

Nice to see amateur radio bringing folks together in this forum <- SARCASM.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    KC5HWB and W7ASA like this.
  13. KG4UDW

KG4UDW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not trying to be contentious but I think you overestimate amateur operator's effectiveness at directing a rescue operation for a single individual which was kind of what the video title seemed to be about. Some background regarding my perspective on this. Odds are good if I need a rescue it's because I crashed a motorcycle in the mountains somewhere, probably not on a paved road possibly even on an unnamed trail. Expecting an HT to be useful would ASSUME that 1. the HT is loaded with the right frequency for the area, it should be but sometimes we change plans and typically we ride well beyond a single repeater's coverage every day. 2. The HT is able to trip the repeater with enough signal to be heard 3. Someone answers the heard call before I bleed out or the HT battery dies 4. That individual is willing and able to help 5. I or a companion know where I am well enough to direct rescue to myself. That is a lot of uncertainty vs a PLB or InReach/Spot which when triggered by a single button push makes contact via satellite, automatically transmits an SOS with GPS coordinates directly to someone I've paid to sit and monitor for just such a signal. InReach and I think Spot now allow for 2 way communications with the GEOS operator who is also in touch with the SAR team (that my subscription pays insurance to come drag me out of the trees and maybe give me a helicopter ride). Pretty sure I'd rather be communicating with a trained pro than a person similar to myself on the other end of a radio in that situation and I'd consider myself pretty competent. So on the whole for a single individual incident in a remote area such as you might find yourself in hunting, hiking, mountain biking or even motorcycling your odds of quick rescue and therefore increased survival are higher with a dedicated rescue system vs an amateur radio. That fact doesn't belittle amateur radio or the contribution of hams to disaster relief and emergency management it's just recognition that other devices have exceeded ham radio in some areas. All that said either one or both of us hams that ride together will have an ht on bike, you know, just in case.

K9GLS and VU3DRU like this.
  14. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Because in several notable documented circumstances they literally had to. :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

15. NI4TG

NI4TG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a mag mount on my deer blind, and a line of sight to the Club’s repeater on the mountain. AB939155-2D64-4033-B63B-A48907A1AADF.jpeg The deer don’t seem to mind. I laugh when I see Baofengs being used on my wife’s show, the walking dead. In an event, I’m using Hf.

KC5HWB and KD5BVX like this.