ad: Schulman-1

HR2.0 - Best Handheld Ham Radio for Off Grid | Hunting - Survival Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Dec 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

You have the right to post just as I do. You do not have the right to everyone here being in lockstep in the comments. I just wonder if you are only in it for ham radio maybe donate the profits to a Ham charity? It's pretty simple to register as a 501c3 and I can provide some people who could help you with it. That would effectively prove your intentions and you could lead the others in you clan to do the same.

G7DAZ likes this.
  2. N1IPU

Had the benefit of Maines linked repeater system while hunting for many years and even used it while offshore many miles from the coast. Issue is not many areas have full coverage or any in the places I go. HF is really the most reliable while in the boonies.
    I kept a list of many out of band frequencies for emergencies, like Aviation HF and Coast Guard. You could back in the day know that a mayday there would get a response and a relay.
    On VHF/UHF the real issue is you need to hope some ham is monitoring the freq. With a linked system your odds are greater than the odd repeater.

3. N1IPU

Spent decades in very remote areas around the world and at sea. With that experience I can positively say only HF is a reliable means of communication in an emergency in relation to Ham radio. In my kit goes a Portable HF, PLB and sat phome. Adding a handheld is just added dead weight unless your in a known area or have a purpose for it. I think I have burnt enough Diesel, JetA and Avgas to qualify that statement.

G7DAZ likes this.
  4. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent idea....if and only IF his intententions are to help other Hams/further Amateur Radio progress and it's not about the $$ as he states then this is the only way to stop the doubters (me included) IMHO. The YouTube debate isn't going to go away. Not everyone is happy with it; more so when some form of kick-back is given.
    An article can be written (it's been done this way for years) that can be quite informative, educational, includes pictures/graphs/data/other etc. etc. and doesn't need a video to get the exact same message across.

So Jason, be a gentleman and step-up-to-the-plate and DONATE ALL (i mean every cent's worth) of your FUTURE (Ham Radio based) YouTube earnings to CHARITY or a Ham Radio based ORGANISATION.

5. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Jason is contributing to ham radio through many of his videos. I don't agree with them all, I may not like all of the thumbnails, and I may think the titles can sometimes be a bit much, but he is contributing. He, in no way, should be required nor expected to give any money that is received (whether from YouTube earnings or from those who contribute to him monthly through Patreon or PayPal) where you or anyone else thinks it should go. That is actually pretty silly to even suggest. Do you say the same about Ham Nation or Amateur Logic?

But, at least the last line of your signature is correct! And in red, too.

KC5HWB likes this.
  6. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Should people who write books on ham radio subjects do the same? If not, then why the double standard?

Creating a video takes effort and money out of pocket (tools, software, etc). I'm ok with the creator getting some compensation.

Chris

K9GLS, KD5BVX and KC5HWB like this.
  7. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

aaaaahhhh good old fashioned justification i see above....however YMMV :rolleyes:

p.s. attacks on signatures are lame/form of abuse...grow up.

8. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

YouTube is one our best resources and biggest handicaps.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Folks - please - this is an "Amateur Radio News" article that was approved for publication by the QRZ Staff Editorial Team.

Knock off the attacks of the OP and each other and keep it classy.

Those not able to follow such a simple request will simply find themselves not able to post further in the thread.

Thanks

Dave
    W7UUU

K1XS, NY7Z, K3SZ and 2 others like this.
  10. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the efforts that you, Fred, and the other admins put into this forum and website.

11. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was replying to your comment about how I make video that are only about "look at me" - nothing at all in your original comment, or in my reply, said anything about money.

In the interest of following what the admins have requested, I will not comment here anymore on this topic, but you can email me directly, if you wish. I would honestly like to have a polite conversation with you about this, if you are willing. I know you are on QRZ, so you should have my email ;)

Anyone wanting to talk about Off Grid work, hunting leases or the radios I mention in this video, please reply here and we can discuss.

KD5BVX likes this.
  12. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think one point of confusion (or implied confusion) is the use of "off grid" - some think it means totally disconnected, no generators or anything. Off grid, though, usually just means off the electrical grid or other public utilities. You can be off grid in the middle of the dessert but still have solar or generator power, comms, etc.

Some prefer to completely unplug when they go camping or hunting. That's fine and can be nice to get away. Others like to have means of supplying power (whether it be solar or generator or whatever) for lights or equipment, etc., and that's fine, too.

We need more understanding in these forums and fewer attacks because someone simply doesn't like the OP, the content, the title, or the fact that it's on YouTube.

It's permitted by QRZ on their site so that would, it seems, remove the validity of attacking the fact that it's here. The OP certainly doesn't deserve it, either, even if someone disagrees. I don't think Jason has ever said, in a video or forum post, "you must agree with me, I am the final authority and keeper of all knowledge".

Opinions stated as facts are still just opinions. He shares his opinions in video form...then gets attacked (by opinions stated as facts) when he posts about it here as QRZ wants him to do.

Keep up the good work, Jason! I appreciate QRZ being a 'hive' of information, including links to the many videos, articles, etc., that are often featured on the front page by QRZ. Many I see and don't really engage with but they are still there and still valid.

KC5HWB and KI5AAI like this.
  13. ZL1MTO

ZL1MTO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I got what he meant and I agree with the quote. Nowadays everyone relies on EVERYTHING they need on their mobile devices (Smartphone, tablet, iWatch, whatever).
    Lets say there's a volcanic eruption and all mobile towers are down due to the ashes. An earthquake ? All gone... What are you going to do if you need help or reach your family and friends ?
    We don't need to go these extremes. You go for a hiking in the park carrying your $2000 smartphone, battery charger, etc....you get lost....Ohh..that's OK....my smartphone will help me right ?
    There's no coverage....you cannot get a GPS signal neither make a call asking someone to help you. Your mobile device is useless.
    If you have a VHF/UHF portable radio with you, just go to the highest point where you are and try to get a repeater....or even better, if you have HF capabilities, a portable antenna, etc.. you can easily reach hundreds of miles and ask for help.

KD5BVX likes this.
  14. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

What I would like to know is what freqs are being used on those radios
    surely I can not think of any that are legal, let alone type accepted for the uv5r
    so maybe its what ever you want with these, taking an inherit risk of not getting caught

KC5HWB likes this.
  15. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham repeaters are subject to the same frailties as any other radio device. If your cellphone doesn't work, chances are your Ham repeater won't work either. With a simplex VHF portable, you can talk what a mile. Good luck with that...

When Yellowstone blows, I'm going to be reaching for my MREs, not any kind of radio/electronic device...

Is this an appropriate place to say, those that live in glass houses powered by commercial power shouldn't throw electrons? If you're Ham radio isn't powered by alternative power sources like solar or wind, you're going to be off the air like everything else.

KG4UDW likes this.