ad: HamHats-1

HR2.0 - Best Handheld Ham Radio for Off Grid | Hunting - Survival Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Dec 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said brother; couldn't have said it any better myself.....as for "i don't think that was his intent" i'd have to disagree; IMHO it "was" intended (cough..sponsorship...cough cough) equals kerchinggggg $$...however YMMV.

P.S. all my views are my own, i haven't been paid, sponsored or gifted anything to bring this message to you.

KE0GXN, K2XT and WN1MB like this.
  2. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm hoping you were joking...really hoping...

KC5HWB likes this.
  3. KD5BVX

Another good video, Jason. I'm baffled by the number of hams who take time to comment negatively here, only making themselves look bad. Hams should support hams and support the hobby. Instead, these seem intent on tearing down another ham and the hobby (unless it's their single view or opinion being shared).

We need more promotion of the hobby so keep up the good working making videos and promoting ham radio in various ways. I don't always agree with every single thing that is said in the videos but they're your videos, not mine, so who am I to say you're wrong? Discussion is one thing, downright puking on the thread with the level of negativity we've seen here is uncalled for and should be unacceptable behavior from hams and here in the forums IMHO.

KM6ZJK likes this.
  4. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I’m not joking. Nobody should trust their life to amateur radio.

KE0GXN and VE3TSV like this.
  5. N5WTF

N5WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

But yet that is exactly what is being prepared for when ARES is activated for potential natural disasters. We are the last line of communications in the rare event cell and internet were to go down.

KC5HWB and KD5BVX like this.
  6. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A generator isn't "the grid" Neither are water tanks. But the point of the video isn't to compare types a power, it was to tell which radios I used in this environment.

That is a nice camp setup. I have done similar hunts. I'd like to expand on this video and do more "in the field" vids that have even less facilities than we do now.

Thanks for commenting.

KD5BVX likes this.
  7. KD5BVX

Seems you've missed half of the point of ham radio then... "when all else fails"... and you're an Extra.

I get that it's a hobby, yes, but the hobby is to be fun and interesting as we prepare to be able to provide communications should the need arise. Disappointing that a ham would have such an attitude toward the hobby... after all, from the ARRL website, "ARRL's volunteer Amateur Radio operators help their communities in good times and bad, through community events, disaster response, and various programs." And from their "what is ham radio?" page:

What is Ham Radio?
    Amateur Radio (ham radio) is a popular hobby and service that brings people, electronics and communication together. People use ham radio to talk across town, around the world, or even into space, all without the Internet or cell phones. It's fun, social, educational, and can be a lifeline during times of need.​

Be glad you haven't needed ham radio in an emergency and certainly not a life-threatening event. Thankfully, many hams are ready and willing to help their fellow citizens should an emergency arise.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    W2CPD and N5WTF like this.
  8. KC5HWB

Thanks Mark, I do appreciate it. I think we also need more people inside of this forum, focused on being positive and lifting each other up. We don't have to all agree on everything or with everyone, but there is a missing element to Amateur Radio when we, as Hams, bicker with one another. Why would a new person want to join a group of bitter old timers that always nag at each other? I have sometimes been guilty of this myself, but now I am trying to focus more on the positive side of commenting, and actually promoting the hobby.

I've been accused of making videos only to "become famous" or "just to get clicks" - no one makes YouTube videos about Ham Radio to get "famous" If I wanted to do that, I would switch to doing reviews of cameras or Android phones. I want to promote Amateur Radio, and I have my own unique way to do it, but my way isn't the only way, nor is it the best way - it is just the best way FOR ME.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    KD9QWD, 2E0TWD, N5WTF and 1 other person like this.
  9. WB2YMU

WB2YMU Ham Member QRZ Page

What qualifies this guy to be an expert...????

10. KC5HWB

Not sure who you are talking to, but to answer your question: Nothing. I never claimed to be an expert.

KD5BVX likes this.
  11. W1WWA

W1WWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the video,

IMHO: The video makes some great points and a good hand held will come in handy on many outdoor occasions. Many hunters use 2m radios as well as marine radios while in the woods, However "off the grid" has many meanings, if you can hit a repeater I do not consider that "Off the Grid". Try hunting or hiking in the wilderness of Wyoming, Idaho or Montana etc: no cell service for miles and sure as hell no repeater, that 2m radio and battery adds 2 pounds to your back pack and is totally useless, Like another person said a Garmin Inreach or similar device makes much better use of weight you need to carry. My "Go Bag" has the 2m HH ready but the Garmin is my go to if I am truly "Off the Grid"

Just my 2 cents..

KC5HWB and W7ASA like this.
  12. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't participate in ARES nor is my my responsibility to provide any communications for anyone.

VE3TSV likes this.
  13. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Care to explain to me which "half of the point" I've missed? The slogan you stated is something made up by the ARRL in an attempt to remain relevant. What that slogan and mindset created is a bunch of Technician class amateurs that never use any radio at anytime and will, most likely, never upgrade.

I don't subscribe to a 'prepper' mindset and it's not my responsibility to provide communications for anyone.

KE0GXN, K8JHR and WG7X like this.
  14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Our forefathers and their forefathers were preppers long before the invention of the word and its usage became fashionable - and most certainly before yellow reflective vests. Cave dwelling hunters and gatherers were primative preppers.

Prepping is nothing new.

W2CPD, KD5BVX, KC5HWB and 2 others like this.
  15. KG4UDW

KG4UDW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been a ham since 2002 and I wouldn't count on a 2m radio to call for help unless I had a plan with other hams to actively listen for me. A PLB or satellite phone/communicator would be a much better choice for timely response in a life threatening emergency. You are absolutely correct that when there's a wide scale disaster hams respond but the odds of someone listening at the time you need them the most are small.

VU3DRU, K2XT and M0MNE like this.