ad: LZQSLprint-1

#45 How to get the best microphone for your ham radio shack with Bob Heil

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, May 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC2YMO

KC2YMO Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder how many tabs he dropped back in the 70's?

W4HM likes this.
  2. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

More likely weed, him and Jim Gamble! sorry that was for the tabs post!

3. W4VR

W4VR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using Bob's mikes for years...primarily the HM-10 with HC5 element. I could not get it to drive my Icom 7610 so I bought the ICM mike...works great.

W4HM likes this.
  4. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

And did I say, very affordable!

5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I could only listen to three minutes of this Heil microphone advertisement, er ... I meant informational video. The audio quality on Heil's end of the broadcast was nothing shy of terrible. It's actually hilarious, considering the topic of this thread. It's like Bill Gates and his on-stage BSoD moments.

Amen x2!

You two gents will definitely appreciate what Craig Street has to say in this brief video about ribbon mics and minimal processing in recording.

KW6LA, AG5CK, KC2YMO and 2 others like this.
  6. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

One does not need an expensive microphone to reproduce a mere 2700 Hz audio and RF bandwidth sporting 1-10 total harmonic distortion. I doubt my radio can hear or transmit more than that on sideband, and only little more on AM. I think virtually any decent hand held vocal microphone can sound good,and provide linear response, over the limited frequency range used in ham radio. A great many vocal microphones have a similar slight rise in the human speech frequency spectrum, which is why they are used as vocal microphones. A recording studio is a very different environment from the typical ham shack, calling for a different type of microphone. Most hams can easily rewire a microphone to reverse phase, but I doubt microphone phase matters in any substantial way after the audio is processed into RF. And I simply do not believe all the engineers at all those other companies are as naieve as Bob suggests. It is ludicrous to suggest he is alone in considering the effects of reversed phasing.

I previously posted a link to sound files comparing multiple $15 microphones with a HEIL product costing ten times more, so others could judge my assessment for themselves, but it was sumarily removed without explanation. Perhaps I am in the minority daring to disagree with ol' Bob, believing I do not need an expensive studio quality microphone for my transceiver, and thinking my $15 Superlux ECO-88 sounds so close to the expensive one, nobody can tell the difference on the air.

Ultimately, I am not persuaded by anything said during the interview. Of course, that is just MY take ... your mileage may vary. K8JHR

IS0HXK and VE2HEW like this.
  7. WN1MB

Interesting how that works, eh? Where did you post those links? On the Zed?

8. R6DPQ

R6DPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The same for me. I don't beleive in COVID restrictions in not answering bunch of e-mails...

9. W8DVE

W8DVE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is interesting to me is not that the audio quality in the recorded video of Bob Heil is poor, but that the video producer accepted the poor audio and uploaded this video for us to scrutinize. Maybe the producer doesn’t like Heil mics? Lol.

KW6LA and WA3VJB like this.
  10. AA5H

AA5H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was hoping perhaps that someone in management would see the thread comments and take action. Six phone calls, four voicemails, and mutliple emails have gotten nothing back but silence or auto-response messages. I try to support small businesses whenever possible, and have been patient with them due to COVID, but this is getting ridiculous.

The vendor sees this as the manufacturer's problem, so here I sit with my shiny new $300 PRo-7 collecting dust. One of my decisions in going with Heil was the reported great customer service, right now I'm just not seeing the love. I would write it off as a loss if it was a $20 part, but a $300 premium headset with a full warranty is another matter.

From the Heil Audio Website: " Our company founder, Bob Heil believes that “it all starts at the microphone.” Well, what happens if, on a rare occasion, the microphone…”stops?” At Heil Sound we are just as passionate about service, after-sale care, and warranty as we are about selling you new products"

11. WN1MB

Did you purchase direct from Heil or from a dealer?

BBB lists Heil Sound "A-" with 0 complaints: https://www.bbb.org/us/il/fairview-...strument-store/heil-sound-ltd-0734-1000017721

12. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

13. W9GDH/SK2023

W9GDH/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

HEIL HM-10XD
    Outstanding audio reports. Antenna 25 feet from the shack. With 1kw no RFI issues. Logged into a 20 meter net today. Under poor propagation conditions the narrow setting on the HM-10 XD I was able to be heard and got logged into the 20 meter net. The microphone is a Heil. Don't settle for less.
    W9GDH

14. WN1MB

Thanks, James! All six sound virtually identical to my 68 year old, less-than-golden ears (years ago they might have been silver-at-best) - though the playback used here doesn't exactly lend itself to critical discernment of subtle nuances.

Mic 1,2, and 4 sound virtually identical. Mic 3 was markedly different - sounded like some low-mids emphasis/boost. Care to reveal the identities?

"Got lost", eh? ;) At least the dog didn't eat the message...

73, Jeff

15. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

ouch. Hurt my ears.

WN1MB likes this.