ad: portazero-1

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N6JSX

N6JSX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What are we buying with V6.0? I've seen many ask but no conclusive list of one-liners describing the changes either here or on HRD web site - we heard "trust me" in 2008!

If 6.0 does not include read/write to radio memories its not worth any price!
    This is starting to smell like Win98 charging for service pack Win98se then charging for service pack WinME, which really backfired on MS sales.

2. KG8JF

KG8JF Ham Member QRZ Page

I will continue to use HRD until such time as it crashes and becomes beyond my ability to sort it out. At that point I may be inclined give them their price. I am glad that someone took over the HRD project and as it was I donated $15/quarter to the efforts. So the asking price is not much more than what I was giving before. I met Rick and he seems like a pretty good guy. I reliaze that he has to earn a living.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Best of luck on the latest release of this fine ham product:)

Chip W1YW

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly.

Best of luck with it Rick:)

Chip W1YW

5. W8VHO

W8VHO Guest

one thing ive learned that hams are cheap a$$es...lol,,,, i just downloaded the newest version didnt see much change well didnt see any change!! I would love to see them do alot better on the main radio control, maybe some more realistic meters and controls the whole screen is just the band listings.. love everything about HRD exept for that..

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

So when does the Free Version stop working ?

I think that it would be better to Take Donations and let people decide the price by how much they like and use it.

Is this Bait and Switch ???

7. W4LT

W4LT Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve . . . Windows is an operating system that millions use. No ham radio software comes close to being used by that number of people. To suggest Windows cost such and such a price and thus ham software should too ignores basic supply and demand principles that control business. ​

Agreed.

I run Windows 7 on my machines and have no idea what GRUB is. I'll have to look that one up. Since when did HRD require Windows 7?? That's a new one on me. ​

I dont know what GRUB is either, Bob

Logic by Hosenose has been a logging program around for years. MANY years. It's expensive yet survives today! So much for those who say they won't spend money on software. ​

You and I both know who the LOGic afficionados are. I find LOGic user hostile. And its written in *FOXPRO*! FOXPRO, for God's sake!

As I have always told our friends that propose LOGic at "the best", I have used N3FJP ACLog for almost 10 years now. It does 95% of what LOGic does. Its stupidly simple to set up and use. It handles LoTW effortlessly with one button push. Its ugly, looks like Excel, and has not been updated since 2003, but it cost $21 and works perfectly.

Now, with an SO2R set up and controller, I may have outgrown ACLog, and am toying with Logger32 (freeware) and DXLabs (also freeware). I find DXLabs comprehensive but much too large and cumbersome for my needs. I find Logger32 quite competent but somewhat buggy. I like the visual layout of Logger32, it resembles N1MM, my personal favorite contest log. But I still keep going back to ACLog due to its elegant simplicity. Its so simple, there isnt even a help file. You open it up and instinctively know how to use it. That is the way good software is supposed to work.

I tried HRD back in Version 3 days with a TS850. I didnt like it so much. I tried a later version with my new K3 about 6 months ago, but it kept turning off the K3 AGC system, a known control issue with HRD (dont know if Rich has fixed that or not). I may try it again if there is a shareware version of it that can be tried before you buy. I dont usually need any kind of support, so the cost for support is an issue for me.

I will leave it to others to decide how much is enough for HRD. But because we all share a repeater here and I like to help out friends, I may end up buying it. I want to know the particulars about N1MM integration. This might be a clincher sales pitch for me.

But what I have works, and works well.

I guess Im just not into brands. Im into what works for me and solves my problems. Im not into this to let people know that I use a program that cost me $xxx.xx or a radio that cost me $xxxx.xx. After all it is still a hobby

-lu-W4LT-

8. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

lolwut?

I plug in my second monitor, and it just starts working. Go into the app menu, drill down to where you put your monitor applet, and arrange the monitors. All done. In less than 2 minutes.

Essentially the same as Windows. The icons are different.

9. KH6DC

KH6DC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well put Frank.

delwyn, kh6dc

10. KA9JLM

The Problem that comes with MS software is all of the licensing requirements. HRD has to pay for that.

They could write a Open Source Version so that we could use Ubuntu to make it work for our needs, and share with others.

You CAN modify the MS program to meet your need, But You CAN NOT share your code with others.

HRD Developers need to be paid for their work, But the price for "with support" is something that we may not all need.

––••• •••––

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  11. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

KA9JLM, the free version never stops working.. no bait and switch.

Wow, I can't believe you asked that, much less me having to post an answer. :(

12. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Many software companies do that. An update adds a kill switch. It was a fair question.

13. KA9JLM

Thank You for answering. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Keep up the good work.

14. KA9JLM

Yes, Like Version 5.11

Just thought I would ask.

––••• •••––

15. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think that's really true. I've never heard of a company doing that by surprise.

It might be common in a situation where you buy a license to use an application for a year or whatever, sign contracts etc and in return you receive and install a key with an expiry date. No reasonable company would have a kill switch without being clear about how long you're entitled to use the software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.