ad: HamHats-1

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do Beta testing for MS, and you are correct that no software is 100% bug free.

That is why we are testing Win 8 , before it is released, for sale.

You are correct that No software is perfect.

I am sure that HRD will do good, as long as users can afford it, and HRD is not overpriced.

Does HRD have a Old Fart discount ? Maybe I could qualify...

2. AH6OY

AH6OY Ham Member QRZ Page

W4PC good choice in radio brand :)

ft-9000.jpg

3. K4TGK

K4TGK Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick, I have ordered 6.0. How about one straight answer? Is JT65 in the works at all?

4. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

John and I are in email talks about JT65 and the best way to impliment it in DM-780.

He just lives an hour from me, so he and I need to sit down and just figure it out.

AH6OY, oh yeah, my dream radio. That was at superfest back in 2009

5. K0SAV

K0SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Too buggy for me... I wouldn't pay 'em one cent!

6. KH6DC

KH6DC Ham Member QRZ Page

That'll be cool if JT65 is incorporated into DM780 and it will be a value-added feature.

7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

APRS implementation with it's own software tnc built in, and a better way to calibrate the sound card would be nice.

The way it is now, you let it run forever then pick the best values for RX & do it all over for TX.

You have to put the values in manually. The calibration window will not let you click on the best value to insert it. only the last value calculated.

If you use notepad to write down the best value to put in manually, then switch back to DM780, DM780 crashes.

Now about those 3 mud wrestlers.......... :)

8. W4DSM

W4DSM Guest

That is the way Simon handled it. Donations didn't work. He moved onto something that paid his bills! Give the NEW team a chance. I think you will be happy with the program as it goes forward. BTW, I have no connection with any of them except being a PAID user of HRD 5.11 and whatever follows.

David - W4DSM

9. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a nice post to close the thread on David.

We've beat this to death more than once.

10. W6MQI

W6MQI Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there plans to fix SSTV so it will work as well or better then MMSSTV. Right now DM780 SSTV sucks when it comes to picture quality. I know this is asking a lot but, somewhere down the road maybe an easypal version also?

73, Dave

11. N9GU

N9GU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I an earlier post I mentioned that the new price model basically has an annual subscription. Some of you said that you do not have to pay that if you are happy with the version you have. To that I completely agree, BUT here is my point. I deal with software everyday in my job. Sometimes we buy the "maintenance" plan that includes support and updates, and sometimes we don't buy it. It varies based on stability, costs, and long term plans. That said, HRD relies on some things that are out of it's control. Here is an example:

I mainly use HRD for logging. A while back QRZ changed their site to the point that HRD logging would not work with QRZ. The only fix was to download an updated HRD. That was fine, since there was no cost involved. With the new price model, if I install HRD 6, and 18 months down the road, QRZ changes something again and breaks logging, what are my choices? 1. Use broken software (pretty pointless). 2. Pay the $40 to get the upgrade. 3. Find something else to use.

For those that think they can buy version 6 once and never pay for "maintenance" at $40 per year will eventually get burnt. It is inevitable that at some point something important will break or change and an update will be required.

So don't tell me that this is only $80. Even if you do the $40 every other year you still end up paying way more.

Yes, we spend hundreds, even thousands on radios and towers. But you know, last I checked no one was giving towers away then suddenly putting a $1000 price tag on them.

At some point the new group will realize that if they just had started with HRD 6 at $40 with $20 annual subscription, they would have reeled most of us in. Then they could have slowly moved the price up with each new version release. A slow increase would have been way more accepted than going from zero to 100 mph in 1 second.

I will be upgrading to the last 5.11 free release, and hoping that nothing breaks with it.

12. W8JAA

W8JAA Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ will break the code as soon as it is fixed, QRZ has its hand out too , they want you to buy a annual subscription to their database . It irks me that QRZ gets our callsign information FREE from the FCC and other sources then wants to sell it back to us when in fact that if it was not for all of us hams and our callsigns QRZ would not have a database . They always cry bandwidth , but why is their unlimited bandwidth for the forums and all of the advertisemnts. Its a shame that the FCC dont start charging Fredd a subscription fee to download there database. Nothing but GREED. This all started when Fredd bought a Tour buss and expects us to pay for it for him . GREED

13. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't mind helping to pay for the Tour bus, I just don't want to pay for the Gas forever.

It is all about advertisement, And QRZ does a good job at that.

Just like this Thread advertizing HRD.

Everyone needs money, Many are Greedy but you can't expect a company to provide a service for nothing.

Lets hope that HRD can live up to everyone's expectations.

Updates should be free for paying customers.

If everything works, then few updates should be needed.

14. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

JAA,

As a Ham Member, how much a year are you paying to use the QRZ.com database?
    And yes, that is a trick question.

Bill

15. AJ4CU

AJ4CU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello All,

I am an AClog user, basically bulletproof and now a new update coming, he has updated all the contest packages as well, I will always use this package as I feel there is no better! (also Lotw up/downloads are seamless!) this was a one time purchase and all updates are free for life! WOW What A concept!
    Anyway I also use Mixw for the digi modes (yes I paid for it) and updates were free (but few and far between) but alas now one must pay up for the new packages and due to the past track record (and many issues) I will not making the purchase, so to find a new package, FLDigi! here is a really neat package! very cool stuff here, I have been using this more and more!!
    So to continue, I have also been a registered user of HRD I have played with it and found it to be far too involved, (read that as not user friendly) as mentioned earlier the radio control screen is a drab and dreary sight and yes all those sliders are useless, the digital mode screen is a nightmare! there is far too much going on for my liking, I will download the last and latest free update but 89.95 for the next version!!!!???? then 39.95 a year is just unacceptable to me, similar to this is DX4Win same kind of price structure but from what I understand light years ahead of most packages.....anyway guys good luck, my money stays with me, I will play with the last update and use the packages that are tried and true for me, I agree with most others 40-50$ price range ( and I would easily part with that) and free updates is far more acceptable.
    I think your visions of sugarplums will be short lived with the current pricing structure, sure a handful will buy it but fat chance of long lasting subscribers...that's my rant.....

73 all
    AJ4CU
    Hari

P.S. One last thing, I had not even looked to see what the contesting support of HRD is, does it support any contests? correct me if wrong but I think not, again AClog!!!!!! (heck even Mixw has contest modules!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.