ad: LZQSLprint-1

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes , Many do that. You are correct and The License Does cost money.

Many times the Nag Screens POP up when unexpected and the program becomes unusable.

When you write software and have a New Release in less than a month then there is Reason for the update.

A teenager made MS update their software (Win XP OS) because he found a Backdoor open the day it was released. MS claimed that they did not know. Give me a break. Watts Up ?

If you have a old version of HRD and it works for you, then you should save it and use it.

From what I can tell MSVS has a ways too go.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

None of my products have kill switches. That's unethical! People who bought the Pacterm 98 product back in 1997 can still use their copies they purchased.

My feelings weren't hurt, just surpised. Do hams really not trust other hams that much?

So many of the hams I met, I would trust with my life.. and want to be around them when a disaster occurs. We may all die, but we'd die going down with a fight.

That's the hams I know ;)

3. KA9JLM

That is nice.

The hidden stuff that MS hides in your software is what I can see.

All of us Hams look out for others.

Echolink is a good example of Backdoor access.

Who knows what MS adds to Your code ?

Its them and not You. Look at the code after it is compiled and ready to sell.

You have a good thing going, and we hope that it stays that way.

Don

––••• •••––

4. KB1VCZ

KB1VCZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I can guarantee you that if you drop this price to $49.95 for the software and $19.95 for yearly updates you will have significantly more total revenue coming through the door than the current pricing model you are adopting.

The people paying now at $80 would probably pay at ANY price level, it is the marginal customer that you are ignoring here--again, you will make up revenue from the lower price with more units.

All that said, pricing is not an exact science and is one of the hardest elements to get right as part of your marketing mix--you really need to put some kind of gee wizz wow capabilties into the new software to come close to justifying $80 large though in my opinion.

And as far as the time discount you are promoting, these typically backfire because of anchoring behavior on the part of the consumer--that is, they will always have in the back of their mind after the price discount expires that the software could have been bought cheaper, but is now "more expensive"--not a good thing to be going up against, especially in this economy.

5. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

You've never heard of Microsoft Windows, then?

While, it's great, you should understand profit motives make people ultimately un-trustable. Because the "other guy" isn't what is important, but making money.

6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

What version of Windows has an unexpected kill switch?

7. KA9JLM

Any version after 98. But NT was OK, But is was not Internet based.

XP was the first, I do believe.

Any New MS OS requires that you have the internet, and they can shut it down if you connect to many External device, or upgrade your hardware.

They do that so people do not copy their software. But a person that wants to make a copy can, and will, for a backup.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  8. KC2UGV

Windows XP: "You have made an unauthorized change to Windows."

9. KX3DX

KX3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

HRD is a nice package. Since I only use once in a while, I'm not sure yet if I'll purchase it. We'll see. But there is one point I'd like to make that applies to HRD and other "user supported" free software. Past HRD supporters, thinking the software would be free (forever?), have provided free beta testing, free user support and and free marketing services to the author, in exchange for the free use of the software. Think about it - lots of folks get on the forum and answer user questions. Beta testing? Every possible combination of computer and radio is tested by the user community for free. Marketing? Have you ever suggested a killer feature that was then incorporated into the program? You just provided marketing services. I've seen this before. Programmers use this model to launch companies all the time. I'm not complaining, its a good business model, just mentioning it just in case you might have missed it. In HRD's defense, keeping the existing released versions free doesn't violate the fairness of the model - at least not in my opinion.

One other thing, I don't mind minor bugs in free software, but even the slightest bug in paid software bugs the heck out of me. I suspect others are like that. When you take free software into the paid arena, it's much trickier to keep users happy.

10. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Kind of a pointless debate but I guess we're talking about different things. I interpreted the question as asking if HRD was suddenly going to unexpectedly stop working and force you to pay more if you want to continue using it. That's not what Windows activation is about. You buy Windows for usually a maximum of one computer at a time. Once it's activated you can use it forever. Yes... I know you might need to call them if you change the computer significantly but still not the same thing.

11. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Corey,

The "other guy" is important, it's all about repeat business.

My mantra always has been, "Do the right thing and the money will come".

And yes, there will be 'killer' enhancements to each part of HRD 6.0. The word 'sweep' comes to mind (yes that's a hint).

12. KA9JLM

That is a valid point.

If you do not pay then there is NO obligation for the software to work.

Most people will pay , if it works for them.

If a charge is made for the software then a certain amount of Customer Satisfaction must come with it.

We are all Beta Testers, Just make sure that you have a good backup of your HD before installing any new software.

13. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Well guys, I guess you dont use any piece of software since none is 100% bug free. Even the great and powerful Microsoft cant do that and they have over 33,000 people working for them

14. KC2UGV

Not necessarily. You can get the repeat business through vendor lock-in as well... Not saying you'll go that route, but it's understandable for a consumer to have a healthy level of distrust of a vendor.

15. KH2D

KH2D Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick, here's a suggestion for the first new paid version.

Fix the HRD "radio control" screen. That thing is uglier than three fat girls mud wrestling; full HD screen of nothing. I don't need sliders for bands I'm not on, all those sliders make me sea sick :)

Check your PM's.

73, Jim KH2D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.