ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (KG4TEZ @ Mar. 06 2007,10:25)]I've got my go kit and it does not contain rope, flares, ladders, or radiation detectors. #I am not a wanna be. #I am an amateur (Professional) Communicator and that's what I do best. #

I do carry spare radio's, batteries, and an extra antenna.

Yes I am trained to assist but what I do best is communicate so that's where I'll utilize my skills so I don't give amateur radio a bad name.
    I do have my go kit. It does contain flairs and a lot more other stuff. As a matter of fact, there are 5 trucks set up as go kits and all contain from 1000 gal to 2000 gal of water, hoses and the works setting at the fire station.

Let dispatch drop our tones and we have 15 to 50 persons responding to any emergency. We also have about 500 more firefighters in reserve at 12 other departments with their GO KITS ready to respond.

Oh well, just thought I would say that

Tim Wright KD4OVM
    Safety Officer unit: 90-17
    Wurtland Fire Department
    Wurtland, Ky.
    Been serving the Public for 40 years and counting
    Tim Wright AK4MP
    SR. DX DATABASE MANAGER
    ARRL Amateur Extra VE

"We have added your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
    We are the Dx Helpers."

" We are all like Tea bags- We don't know our own strength until we're in hot water."

Quote[/b] (ki4lzk @ Mar. 07 2007,01:30)]For those of you that aren't in the Public safety Industry, (Fire, EMS, Police, Rescue) You may not be aware of the National Incident Managment System. NIMS (http://www.fema.gov/emergency/nims/index.shtm) #Basically anyone that receives any sort of Federal Aid must be in compliance. #It isn't a very difficult concept. #Pretty much use plain language and know your place in a response of any size.
    According to 2 County Emergency Managers I discuss these things with have informed me that even Amateur Radio Operators that assist in emergency communications will have to be NIMS Certified.

Home Land Security just hasn't gotten around to making it the rule yet.

Tim Wright KD4OVM
    Safety Officer unit: 90-17
    Wurtland Fire Department
    Wurtland Ky.
    Been serving the Public for 40 years and counting
    Tim Wright AK4MP
    SR. DX DATABASE MANAGER
    ARRL Amateur Extra VE

"We have added your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
    We are the Dx Helpers."

" We are all like Tea bags- We don't know our own strength until we're in hot water."

"As a matter of fact, there are 5 trucks set up as go kits and all contain from 1000 gal to 2000 gal of water, hoses and the works setting at the fire station".

TRANSLATION FOR THOSE NOT SPEAKING EMCOMM:

"They have 5 fire trucks".

Why do many emcomm types use hyper-jorgon-speak to make simple things (like fire trucks) sound far more complex ( "go trucks") then they really are?

I have Taken ICS 100,200,and 700 and it took all of maybe two hours. They are not that difficult and if you have any perception of the Incident Command System it will not be that difficult of a concept to grasp. The worst part, is that it is boring as sin.

I agree that if ARES, RACES members are going to respond to an incident they should be required to take the NIMS classes as well. Heck a lot of places the Utility companies are already taking them. Like I said above they are not difficult courses. just dry.
    My Website - [url]http://www.jjones-online.com[/url]
    -----------------------------------------
    Help cure cancer: [url]http://folding.stanford.edu/[/url]
    Join me on team 53338

RACES "should" be required to take ICS courses?

Gee, I already thought it was a mandatory requirement?!

After all, how can anyone possibly participate in an "incident" if they don't even understand who they are supposed to report to in the first place?

How would they know or even understand the difference between the terms "unity of command" and "chain of command"?

How would anyone participating in RACES even understand how the organized structure of the entire EOC response process works?

Basically, they would be running around in circles bumping into one another if they didn't have any understanding of NIMS.

However, I found some of the ICS modules contain the same boring and repetitive information.

73 de Charles - KC8VWM
    North American QRP CW Club #3159, SKCC# 5752

Quote[/b] (kc8vwm @ Mar. 07 2007,18:57)]RACES "should" be required to take ICS courses?

Gee, I already thought it was a mandatory requirement?!

After all, how can anyone possibly participate in an "incident" if they don't even understand who they are supposed to report to in the first place?

How would they know or even understand the difference between the terms "unity of command" and "chain of command"?

How would anyone participating in RACES even understand how the organized structure of the entire EOC response process works?

Basically, they would be running around in circles bumping into one another if they didn't have any understanding of NIMS.

However, I found some of the ICS modules contain the same boring and repetitive information.

Hey I am not sure where the diffrent organizations stand on their policies and procedures I am in agreement with you that it just makes since and that fact that the courses are quite repetitive.

Josh KI4LZK
    My Website - [url]http://www.jjones-online.com[/url]
    Help cure cancer: [url]http://folding.stanford.edu/[/url]
    Join me on team 53338

Quote[/b] (W9WHE @ Mar. 07 2007,12:21)]"As a matter of fact, there are 5 trucks set up as go kits and all contain from 1000 gal to 2000 gal of water, hoses and the works setting at the fire station".

TRANSLATION FOR THOSE NOT SPEAKING EMCOMM:

"They have 5 fire trucks".

Why do many emcomm types use hyper-jorgon-speak to make simple things (like fire trucks) sound far more complex ( "go trucks") then they really are?
    They most likely do not have just 5 fire trucks (ladders and aerials). #I am guessing a couple of them are fire engines. (pumpers). #There may be a tender in there too.
    Is that hyper-jorgon-speak enough for you?
    HAW!!!
    I'm a firefighter, so...
    If you see me running, try to keep up!!

Quote[/b] (WA5BEN @ Mar. 05 2007,21:05)]All codes are banned. #Plain language is required.
    True for any/all JOINT operations. Individual departments may and do continue using their various 10 codes.
    Funny how this came about following Katrina but it must be noted the professional dispactchers' organization has been recommending this for many years. Oh..and don't forget the California Higway Patrol's 11 code.
    Paul/W6VPS
    President - Shade Tree Mechanics-Rickety Welding & Let the Smoke Out Electronics Co.

This is, of course, bureaucrats "churning". They only hope to appear to be doing something. It simply buys time for further kickbacks and bribes.

Quote[/b] (aa1mn @ Mar. 06 2007,08:01)]There are some states that reportedly currently have mobile scanning laws. #That is, it's illegal to have a scanner in your vechile. #If anyone has a list of the states having with such a ban I'd appreciate it.
    I know NY has laws against scanner usage (V&T section 397).

A compiled list can be found here, amongst some other interesting stuff relating to scanner.

73's

Kevin

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast