ad: CQMM-1

FCC to Host First Responders Summit

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0JAA, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I do have my go kit. It does contain flairs and a lot more other stuff. As a matter of fact, there are 5 trucks set up as go kits and all contain from 1000 gal to 2000 gal of water, hoses and the works setting at the fire station.

Let dispatch drop our tones and we have 15 to 50 persons responding to any emergency. We also have about 500 more firefighters in reserve at 12 other departments with their GO KITS ready to respond.

Oh well, just thought I would say that

Tim Wright KD4OVM
    Safety Officer unit: 90-17
    Wurtland Fire Department
    Wurtland, Ky.
    Been serving the Public for 40 years and counting

2. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

According to 2 County Emergency Managers I discuss these things with have informed me that even Amateur Radio Operators that assist in emergency communications will have to be NIMS Certified.

Home Land Security just hasn't gotten around to making it the rule yet.

Tim Wright KD4OVM
    Safety Officer unit: 90-17
    Wurtland Fire Department
    Wurtland Ky.
    Been serving the Public for 40 years and counting

3. W9WHE

W9WHE Ham Member QRZ Page

"As a matter of fact, there are 5 trucks set up as go kits and all contain from 1000 gal to 2000 gal of water, hoses and the works setting at the fire station".

TRANSLATION FOR THOSE NOT SPEAKING EMCOMM:

"They have 5 fire trucks".

Why do many emcomm types use hyper-jorgon-speak to make simple things (like fire trucks) sound far more complex ( "go trucks") then they really are?

4. WL7JJ

WL7JJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have Taken ICS 100,200,and 700 and it took all of maybe two hours. They are not that difficult and if you have any perception of the Incident Command System it will not be that difficult of a concept to grasp. The worst part, is that it is boring as sin.

I agree that if ARES, RACES members are going to respond to an incident they should be required to take the NIMS classes as well. Heck a lot of places the Utility companies are already taking them. Like I said above they are not difficult courses. just dry.

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

RACES "should" be required to take ICS courses?

Gee, I already thought it was a mandatory requirement?!

After all, how can anyone possibly participate in an "incident" if they don't even understand who they are supposed to report to in the first place?

How would they know or even understand the difference between the terms "unity of command" and "chain of command"?

How would anyone participating in RACES even understand how the organized structure of the entire EOC response process works?

Basically, they would be running around in circles bumping into one another if they didn't have any understanding of NIMS.

However, I found some of the ICS modules contain the same boring and repetitive information.

6. WL7JJ

WL7JJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey I am not sure where the diffrent organizations stand on their policies and procedures I am in agreement with you that it just makes since and that fact that the courses are quite repetitive.

Josh KI4LZK

7. NK0V

NK0V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They most likely do not have just 5 fire trucks (ladders and aerials).  I am guessing a couple of them are fire engines. (pumpers).  There may be a tender in there too.
    Is that hyper-jorgon-speak enough for you?
    HAW!!!
    [​IMG]

8. W6VPS

W6VPS Ham Member QRZ Page

True for any/all JOINT operations. Individual departments may and do continue using their various 10 codes.
    Funny how this came about following Katrina but it must be noted the professional dispactchers' organization has been recommending this for many years. Oh..and don't forget the California Higway Patrol's 11 code.
    Paul/W6VPS

9. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

This is, of course, bureaucrats "churning". They only hope to appear to be doing something. It simply buys time for further kickbacks and bribes.

10. N2KCQ

N2KCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I know NY has laws against scanner usage (V&T section 397).

A compiled list can be found here, amongst some other interesting stuff relating to scanner.

73's

Kevin

11. N2MMM

N2MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Support the troops, impeach and REMOVE the "commander" in chief.

12. N0JAA

N0JAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't seen anyone say this in the discussion yet, so I will say it...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

[​IMG]

13. W9WHE

W9WHE Ham Member QRZ Page

"SUPPORT THE TROOPS"

And IMPEACH Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and John Murtha and the others that seek to undermine the constitution and our security through a poloicy of surrender, capitulation and appeazment, ALL for their own PERSONAL political ambitions.

14. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Always a possibility, since we're talking billions of dollars at stake concerning these public safety interoperable communications games being played and touted throughout the Nation.

The politics surrounding the national interoperable communications effort are incredible. As a recent government contracted telecommunications program manager involved in this political, interoperable, public safety communications endeavor, I played in that environment for about two and a half years. I just couldn't take the political crud any longer. It was interesting though, and I keep up with the games to-date.

15. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

MMM: Upgraded yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.