Village of Kenmore adds $1000 permit fee for amateur radio antennas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD2BHP, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD2BHP

KD2BHP Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-reg...wnshop-moratorium-enacted-in-kenmore-20131203

I email our mayor and town clerk :

the Clerk responded :

The bolded part is my favorite.

I asked for clarification

and the clerk responded

my last question has gone unanswered thus far

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The (application)fee gives you the exclusive right to then be turned down for your antenna. It is not a permit fee...IOW its even worse than you think.

Chip W1YW

3. WW7F

WW7F Guest

By the definition of thier town's name, kenmore, maybe they should change it to Kenless since it seems this is the general attitude in thier village govt.
    I wish you luck with them, they sound truly fubared by what you have posted here. 73,Michelle

4. W1ERP

W1ERP Ham Member QRZ Page

So let me think about this a moment....a 1000 dollar fee will ensure safety and the well being of the community....hmmmmm..sounds really bogus to me....sounds like discrimination situation......I served on a planning board for many years, and my town never issued anything like this. The fee for the application was based on the dollar value of the project.......minimun 10 dollars for the first thousand of project value, and believe it was 5 dollars for every thousand in value after that...........

5. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm glad I live in a ham friendly county. The local ordinances concerning "towers" (mainly aimed at cell cites) have exclusions for "FCC licensed amateur radio operators". You still have to get a permit for the construction but it's a minimal cost.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

6. CU3AK

CU3AK Ham Member QRZ Page

On this part of the world, the goverment is always looking away to get (STILL) more money from everybody's pocket. But so far we hams are lost in the desk door. Everywere the politicians have only one thing in mind... STILL the people, shame.
    CU3AK
    Eloy

7. K5FO

K5FO Ham Member QRZ Page

"Please note that the Village, prior to passing this law, had no regulations pertaining to HAM operators, and such antenna structures were prohibited by local law. This local law represents the Village’s efforts to expand the rights of HAM radio operators."
    As you indicated, this wording suggests that if an activity is not specifically allowed by law, it is prohibited. Perhaps the Village will require all citizens to purchase licenses to breathe? To me, this is the complete antithesis of liberty.
    Welcome to 21st century America - land of the un-free.
    Suppose I were a citizen/subject of Kenmore and I wanted to put a 40 - 50 foot tower in my yard for a windmill - do my
    bit for green energy and combat global warming etc. Would I have to pay the same $1K use fee?

8. NY8T

NY8T Ham Member QRZ Page

how much is the fine for non-compliance? It might be cheaper than the permit.

9. W7KHZ

W7KHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The easy answer on this regulation/fee is that it will fail if properly challenged. The Village does not have the ability to regulate antennas. They can only regulate certain structure types that antennas are mounted on. I doubt that they would ever attempt to regulate or charge a fee for you to mount a weather vane on top of your house, put a hammock between two trees, or even put up a basketball hoop on a pole. A tower or a mast is not an antenna. The Village would also have to prove that a vertical antenna could be a potential safety hazard when mounted on the ground and requires permitting/safety inspections based on existing industrial safety standards. The Village "idiots" blew it on this one. They really should have just targeted tower or monopole structures that, in some cases, do require a building permit and inspection. This sure looks like a learning opportunity for several. Good Luck Kenwood!

10. K8NGW

K8NGW Subscriber QRZ Page

What about the existing amateur radio stations? A license search for Kenmore NY results in 65 callsigns!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.