ad: elecraft

Village of Kenmore adds $1000 permit fee for amateur radio antennas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD2BHP, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE4HSV

KE4HSV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Apply for a federal grant to make your property a group home for registered sex offenders and move to a Ham friendly community.

2. AA7WB

AA7WB Ham Member QRZ Page

Now the full picture emerges. It is a recently passed ordinance. Tough. No one was watching and they slipped it in. Reprehensible, but that's the way government plays the game these days. My personal rule is that I don't have an obligation to obey any law an average person would find unreasonable. Not just inconvenient to me, but truly unreasonable. Your mileage may vary and take this road at your own risk.

In your situation I'd see what the effective date of the ordinance is e.g. when filed by the Secretary of State or some other milestone. This is often mentioned at the end of the ordinance. And if you have done your research and are absolutely sure that it is not yet in effect, build your little Jpole. Document the dates with photos, receipts etc. The "anything not permitted is forbidden (illegal)" is a bluff.

I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice. Proceed being aware that there may be unpleasant and costly consequences to challenging these thieves. Everyone has their "line that shall not be crossed". It often depends on what its worth to you.

Good luck.

73 de W7WBB

Peri

3. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now this is funny. The rest of the story is just plain sad. Individual rights have been eroding away for decades and with the big brother mentality of government (look at our current mess with Obamacare) it isn't getting any better. I'd be moving to a locale where I could put up whatever antenna's I wanted. I bought my current home for that very reason. I knew I wanted to put up a tower and living within city limits either prevented that or made it damn hard.

4. AH6OY

AH6OY Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems to be an evolution of the neighborhood board syndrome into government. There are worse conditions forced on citizens like when Chicago was expanding hwy's and was paying displaced residents only the original value of the land. Enjoy it while you can. Expanding city and town limits forced on persons enjoying the country areas is an even worse awakening to junkies with laws and fees like this.

On a good note it gives more reasons for a self supporting as high as you can go tower to get the antenna's radiation fields away from residents. Let's just hope there's no height and overhang restrictions.

Sadly since the circus's have not been so prosperous in the past decades the clowns and lion tamers have migrated into an over expanded government.

5. WA1UFO

WA1UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

The clerk is an idiot not to mention the ignorant fools who got this piece of crap written up in the first place. If Kenmore was to suffer a disaster I would never help that town with emcomms were I a citizen. This business is so indicative of the gross ignorance which permeates the entire country. America as I have known it is dying and this Kenmore deal is just one symptom of many which are killing the USA. I am glad that my town supports ham radio for ARES and other activities.

6. N1WT

N1WT Ham Member QRZ Page

Did the person who told you this previously work for the KGB? The last time I checked, if it is not prohibited by law you CAN do it.
    The $1000 application fee is intended not to make money but to prevent people who can't afford to throw away $1000 from applying.
    That in itself seems to run contrary to the reasonableness clause in the federal rulings regarding local regulation of amateur antennas.

7. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's called gunny sack swimming lessons .
    Or the Boston Tee Party .
    Or through the scum into bags , then through the bags into the harbor , DO NOT USE ROCKS , let them suffer ;)

8. KA1JBE

KA1JBE Ham Member QRZ Page

Vote the idiots out, start getting signatures.
    We have to stop it before too many towns start this thinking they can hold us hostage.
    Let them know you are getting votes to send them home.

9. KD4EXY

KD4EXY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

all the dish antennas would have to pay too. get yourself voted in on board and get others like you too. then make changes for inside.

10. WQ1C

WQ1C Ham Member QRZ Page

Another idiotic law that needs to be overturned by way of PRB-1 or similar. That kind of fee is also called theft in a lot of locations.

11. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Amen!

AMEN Joesph !! I once lived in the "Soviet State of New York" Being a Texan , my job took me there. I got sick and tired of being ripped off with NY taxes and high prices. After 6 months I told my company, move me or lose me, they moved me back to Texas, I have never seen such economic depressed place in my life. I was in upstate Soviet State of New York. I like you am living very well financially thanks to a no state income tax State of Texas! The State of NY can kiss my wallet!

12. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

THIS IS A CASE OF THE DOLLAR IS THE LAW. OTHERWISE, ITS JUST AGAINST THE BUILDING CODES.
    Maybe a little too severe a permit fee? I am not moving to Kenmore! WJ2L

13. K4FBP

K4FBP Ham Member QRZ Page

This whole situation sounds to me as if it was contrived by some people that are not Hams. Too many times the non-user, uneducated person makes decisions without proper knowledge or training. Just as a non-pilot speaks out against something at a small airport, or offers their opinion of a "crash". Come on Kenwood... an engineering firm would have to inspect and pass muster on a small private project? Who in the engineering department knows Ham Radio? This is right up there with the (stupid) people that think that Radio Waves will effect their "brains"... Something perhaps already has! I live in a rural area, and a Ham wanted to erect a 40 foot tower more than 2 miles from our address, yet the lady neighbor with a son with MS was worried that the Radio Energy would mess with his head!... I did not tell her that I was also an operator of Ham Radio, not to mention a 50,000 watt TV transmitter and several 3000 watt satellite transmitters. RF has had no effect on me, cell phone or radio room or my work.

14. KD8IGK

KD8IGK Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenmore is setting themselves up for damages. I read through some of their regulations and it is cheaper to operate a snow plow without a permit than erect an antenna. They have a lot of regulations on abandoned cars, for $1,000 you could haul a bunch or derelict cars from a junkyard to the city hall parking lot and just leave them there and let them figure what to do with them. I noticed they did not include any abandoned boats in their regulations, so having a boat derelict or otherwise is against the law according to their interpretations in the law that anything that is not provided a permit is against the law in Kenmore. It sounds like this town is trying to set them selves up as a large HOA.

15. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.