ad: elecraft

Recent FCC Enforcement Actions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN7S, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N0AMY

N0AMY Ham Member QRZ Page

hate to burst your bubble but if you think fining a bunch of guys on welfare you may be surprised to know they do not have much money. how profitable can it be fining people who have no money..

2. N0AMY

N0AMY Ham Member QRZ Page

people still use cassette tapes? amazing..

3. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The same thought occurred to me, however I dismissed it instantly, here is why:

The cause of the RFI is not our issue, people do things all the time that generate RFI, the issue is that the RFI itself is not legal, (withing reason), no matter how or why it is generated. If you go down the road of the cause being legal, and the RFI being related-- you detract from your objective, which is to remove the RFI. In fact, having the local states make it legal, puts a grow operation in the same class as a motor which is generating RFI, if looked at only from a state law enforcement viewpoint. It is up to the entity generating the RFI to solve the issue. This is not to mean you can't assist in some ways, but be vary careful...

Every time I hear of a ham building an RFI filter, (which actually filters the AC line, not ferrites), and installing it on someone's home, I cringe-- if there is ever a fire, you can bet who the lawyers will come for... Even if the filter were not the cause... A suggestion to purchase a commercially made filter is in order for me, but I will NEVER build, or suggest that an AC line filter be constructed and installed. I might tell the person that some people have done this, but I will not suggest it. If it is not some questionably legal problem causing the RFI I will even offer to pay for what it takes to make the issue go away, (again within reason), however, if it is a pot grow, I don't know where I stand legally if I assist then in removing RFI. It could be construed as aiding and abetting, (it is still a crime if viewed federally), so I just never suggest anything to a farmer, other than they make the RFI go away, else it will be reported to the Federal Communications Commission. I include a sample letter that the FCC sends out in a packet I give them, and I make sure the letter is one that spells out fines etc... That normally takes care of things.

4. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My guess is that this is sort of like a shotgun, the FCC fires at its target, (in this case the target being all reported generators of RFI the FCC deals with in the Amateur Radio Community), and most of the shot hits the center, and some fall outside the center circle. When we talk about the ones that are on the outside of the circle, and treat them as if they are the norm, we detract from the real issue, after all 90% of the shot was on target. I am guessing here, but it is an educated guess based on what I have seen, that most of the time, when an FCC letter arrives, the problems go away, and/or are dealt with in some way, in a reasonable amount of time.

Yes you will get the odd case where the person is insane and ignores letters from the government telling him/her they are breaking the law, but those cases are on the outside of the target circle, and I suspect few and far between, hence the shotgun analogy above.

It's really not about fines, it is about enforcement, get the FCC out there, and get a letter in the hands of an RFI generator, on FCC letterhead, threatening a big fine, and most of the time the RFI will cease. The fines are for the ignorant/stupid/arrogant people that somehow believe they are exempt from laws... Even then it is not about fines, it is about making life tough for that person, the fines are just a way of making it important, not about collection, or making money.

Now, better if the FCC goes for the importers/sales outlets bringing in the lights, as the ARRL was involved in a few weeks ago... That IS real progress in the RFI issue, and a very good step by the ARRL and the FCC in starting a correction to this major problem.

5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When FCC does manage to collect a fine, they don't keep the money. It goes into the general fund.

6. KI6LZ

KI6LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Last thing I want is MORE government to spend MORE money on "parking violations".

7. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

until a couple of months ago I was still using open reel and 8 track tape .
    kd5pnt

8. WA0VY

WA0VY Ham Member QRZ Page

8 track is the bomb. "in a godda divida, man."

Brent WA0VY

9. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob, if that were the case I might not have become a ham. I bought a transceiver and listened around the bands and decided to get my license.

10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

da same people that use 80+ year old vacuum tube technology

11. KB2DX

KB2DX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, restricting free trade of goods isn't the answer. If you don't have a license you can listen around the bands, nothing wrong with that. It is the radio owners responsibility to make sure they don't transmit and not violate the rules especially non-hams. I used a scanner to listen around before I got my ticket in 2004.

The bad eggs will be bad eggs, enforcement and reporting violations sends a clear message to them that willful, malicious interference and other violations will not be tolerated and they will be fined big bucks for their actions.

12. NT2C

NT2C Ham Member QRZ Page

The same could be argued regarding firearms, yet there are many places in this country where a license or permit is required to purchase one. Apparently no one told the NRA to try the "restraint of trade" argument??

13. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

name one....., there is no such thing as a firearm "purchasing" license/permit.

there is an FFL (for dealers)

a person that buys a fire arm may (or may not) be required to register it, but, that is not a "purchase" license.

14. N0AKF

N0AKF Ham Member QRZ Page

In Iowa you need a "Permit to Purchase" a handgun. If you a a Concealed Carry Permit that qualifies.

15. N0AKF

N0AKF Ham Member QRZ Page

or a "Purchase Permit" but yes it is required to buy a handgun in Iowa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.