ad: CQMM-1

Recent FCC Enforcement Actions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN7S, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA3YAN

KA3YAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Jerry,

I think the most recent crop of degenerates is a direct result of lack of enforcement by the FCC. While it's true that we as hams are charged with policing our own spectrum, the actual enforcement is the responsibility of the FCC. Without them, we can do nothing to curb the assault.

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

To sum it up.....When you dumb down the country the education system and the hobby why be surprised at the results.

3. K6SDW

K6SDW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FCC, over here...over here, @ 3840 on the West Coast!!

4. N6JRZ

N6JRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully we can get some help here in the Central San Joaquin Valley in Ca. We have had an RFI issue for over a month on 3.918, and for close to 4 months on 147.570. Numerous reports have been sent out to our ARRL Rep and the FCC and have yet to see any action. I have even posted a You tube video of the RFI on 3.819. It has since widened from when I first posted it. It now covers 3.900 thru to 3.930 whereas before it was from 3.915 to 3.9230.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-jlaHFVFrc

There's the link. If anyone has any idears what this is, please let us know. We do not have the means or resources to track this down or are we able to track down the RFI on 147.570 which covers 147.600 to 147.800

5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's coming from lack of enforcement.

There was a time when, if someone fired up "Radio Free Podunk", the FCC would quickly come down on them like a ton of bricks. Radiating RF in a way or ways that is outside FCC rules would result in serious charges, fines, etc. and confiscation of equipment. End of story.

And woe betide anyone involved in such an operation if they had any sort of FCC license - amateur or commercial, operator or station! Such a license was GONE and just try getting it back!

About the only place FCC left alone was the cb channels. As long as folks stayed there, FCC left them alone. But if they strayed....watch out!

As a result, there were relatively few who tried to play that game. Just not worth it.

But starting in the late 1970s/early 1980s FCC enforcement was cut back. It took a while for the effects of this to be known, so the effect was gradual.

The end result is what we have now.

6. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the sharpest people around are crooks in jail... you either impart a system of morality and ethics or suffer the consequences.

Chip W1YW

8. KA2UFP

KA2UFP Ham Member QRZ Page

...Glad to See something Being done...Hopefully in the Future it Will Get Better...Frank...

9. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

not going to happen. N6BHU vs FCC 1981.

10. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

Anybody else think that the RF interference cited by the FCC in WA state is coming from "grow lights", ie high intensity heat lamps commonly used for indoor marijuana cultivation? If the house where the RFI is originating is in fact a "grow house", or a house with no residents completely converted to indoor weed growing, that would explain why the FCC's letters have gone unanswered if sent to that QTH. The Pacific Coast has LOTS of illegal weed grows. Weed is legal for "medicine" in CA and OR and legal for recreation in WA. These laws are the result of ballot initiatives.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Grow lights are wide band: this was at/near 40M and deliberate, apparently. That's what the ARRL piece said.

Chip W1YW

12. WA0VY

WA0VY Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure I would agree with that.They think they are, but almost all get caught doing the dumbest things. By the way, i think this "George" guy was the same one one causing trouble on 3819 KHZ. I heard some of that on www.3819khz.net awhile back. He did the same things they talked about and would say "Get a job, George" in a vaguely menacing voice. Not sure what possesses a man to go do something like that.

Brent WA0VY

13. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to wonder if any of the fines affirmed against so-called "Pirate Broadcasters" are ever collected? The regulatory agency is very quick to state that it has "confirmed" such, but I have never been able to root out any information on the percentage of those that are actually paid by the person(s) so cited. I think it would be interesting to find out but in the 10+ years that I have tried, nothing on this has surfaced.

14. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

Cant do that. There is Federal level case precedent dating back to 1979 as in the findings of "Communications Attorney Service LLC vs Midnight Radio Supply." Ruling was that restricting the sale of amateur radio gear to only those holding an amateur license was "restraint of trade." The story was well covered by all of the ham radio and trade magazines of that era and may still exist in the Lexxus/Nexxus Legal Database. I have tried to find it in on-line searches (Google, etc) but have not found reference to it.

15. N1DVJ

N1DVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

They just shut down 3 pirate radio stations in the Boston area...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.