ad: Radclub22-1

QRZ unusable now on mobile phone.

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by G0WKT, Apr 6, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G0WKT

G0WKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a recap, initially I used the free version and it was great. So I subscribed for a year. At the end of that first year it doesn't go back to the original free version, but went to an unusable version, the adverts are refreshed at such a rate that you can't add to the logbook. Completely unusable. I resubscribed and it all works well again. Guess it's just too keep us paying!

2. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's try to clear this up as folks are talking about two different issues.
    1. QRZ (except sometimes the Logbook) works fine on Android phones. Period. If you're having problems, it's either you or your phone.
    2. QRZ Logbook reloads rapidly making the Logbook unusable on some Android phones. This problem is caused by ads on the affected phones. Several solutions are available. Two are: (a) Install an ad blocker. (b) Get a QRZ subscription that includes an ad blocker.
    Here's more info from the Logbook Forum: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/qrz-logbook-screen-flashing-redrawing-android.832276/

PY2NEA and KP4SX like this.
  3. PD5FL

PD5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Same problem here, on the mobile phone (Android) the logbook is unusable. Adds are ok, but not like this when they make the mobile part of this great site flickering every 2 Seconds

4. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm??? Gosh, I hate to jinx myself, but I didn't renew my paid membership a couple years back but have continued to utilize my Android phone to log my contacts on QRZ logbook and post to the forums. No problem.
    Just used logbook a couple of minutes ago and logged and then edited a test contact.
    I almost exclusively have been logging in using smartphone. I use android smartphone for everything since the first Android ever offered.
    Before Android, I was a power user of Motorola phones and had the first ever Linux phone. Once Android, I was done with modding firmwares "seem edits" and all that. I put the power of Android into my daily routine for everything and never looked back! My coworkers would call my Android his swiss army phone. Surprised they have not had a swiss army phone produced yet. Bet yeah Android phone is working with QRZ here! I also have a SSTV app that's pretty cool !

5. AE0Q

AE0Q Ham Member QRZ Page

If not a subscriber you can upload and edit logs, but can't DOWNLOAD them from QRZ.

PY2NEA likes this.
  6. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyway, even after getting rid of ads, editing the LB with a tiny smartphone is like editing a large spreadsheet, beware!

Usable UI exist, not by QRZ team, but you need a subscription, the XML key for manipulating data.

Oliver

7. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's fine by me,,, if I ever decide to copy everything over to another logbook or decide to utilize some sort of logging program I will have immediate usefulness and incentive to upgrade to full paid membership.
    I can still lookup my previous pages of contact and even screenshot them and print out for bragging rights, however if I was to transfer over LOTW or something, it is very worthwhile to upgrade. Really QRZ is a wonderful resource and worthwhile regardless!
    I will also side with tradition and say that the ARRL is also very worthwhile entity that deserves our unity.... (Just my own two cents and no further argument or comment solicited)

AE0Q likes this.
  8. G0WKT

G0WKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it only happens when paid subscription expires. As soon as you pay for another year, it all works perfectly again. It's the adverts, they get updated every second and stop you entering any details as it resets every second. Works perfectly well if you never subscribe... But once a paid member you can't go back!

9. G7VYH

G7VYH Ham Member QRZ Page

Reloaded free version of QRZ Android App after loads of problems on my Galaxy S23 since it was originally loaded never worked well crashed every few seconds - it must have been corrupted on original download because it crashed all the time now it works well afyer downloading it again over the top or the original and same version 2.2.41 many thanks whoever wrote that. G7VYH

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024 at 8:32 AM