ad: HamHats-1

New Kenwood TS-890S HF Transceiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, May 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm. They both mix (sample) an incoming signal, convert it to another frequency for further amplification, filtering and demodulation. So I repeat the question.[/QUOTE]
    I and others have several posts on this thread that explain some of the differences between the two architectures, I'm not going to repeat myself, it's far too complex to explain in a few sentences. Read the posts or GTS, maybe you'll understand it. 73

2. N7WS

N7WS Ham Member QRZ Page

I and others have several posts on this thread that explain some of the differences between the two architectures, I'm not going to repeat myself, it's far too complex to explain in a few sentences. Read the posts or GTS, maybe you'll understand it. 73[/QUOTE]

It's actually a rhetorical question.

3. KA5DOB

KA5DOB Ham Member QRZ Page

KA5DOB said:

It's a few inches larger than my 590SG. The new TS-890S dimensions are: W15.6 X H5.6 X D13.4 > weight is 37.5 lb.

This is a excellent single receiver, non SDR radio. It uses a improved Legacy type down conversion receiver. I'm sure looking forward to the Sherwood test to see how close to the top of his list the 890 is rated. From the receiver info that Kenwood advertises with the 890, it should be #1.

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

Recent info on price and release date, sometimes in August I hope early in the month. I got one on order and i'm sure it will be a great Kenwood to own.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  4. G3ZPF

G3ZPF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, I didn't realise that. My experience of APF was in my ts930, which was all done in audio. I have kind-of simulated it in my 590 by using the 'usr' setting for filter & just having one slider at max and all the others at min, but its not as effective as the APF was in my 930.

WRT the quoted price of the 890, I guess they're pitching it at the same level as a single-RX K3 with all filters, plus its external panadapter.

But they do it in very different ways. Superhets remove all the frequencies they don't want & deal with what remains. SDR accept everything & use software to figure out what is wanted, but the demands on an ADC that can 'see' a whole chunk of spectrum are extreme.

Have you listened to the podcast interview with Ulrich Rohde (he of Rohde & Schwartz testgear)?

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2018/july/qso-today-n1ul.htm

He covers the differences & gives his 'take' on the situation. I didn't realise he was involved with the design of the ic7851, and owns the first one ever made.

5. KA5DOB

6. KA5DOB

August 5, 2018 update..

Kenwood started building the new ts-890s, August 1st according to the video with the UK Kenwood Sales Manager speaking in a video talking about the new radio. He also mentioned delivery's during September hoping to get them all done by the end of the month, due to some upcoming large event perhaps a contest.

7. G3ZPF

I stumbled across some more info HERE.

Pics of the inside, plus the price in Yen. Unless my maths is worse than usual that equates to about £3000 + sales tax, which in UK money makes it £3600.

In USA dealers are guessing at $4000 I believe....so pushing it at £5000 (incl VAT) in the UK seems a bit extreme.

EDIT : ts890 user manual now online HERE

S58DX likes this.
  8. KA5DOB

The higher price you mention in the UK. That could be the TS-890 includes your additional ham band in your country where we don't have it here in the States.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  9. NG9F

NG9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No updates? No rumors?

10. G3ZPF

UK main dealer said "price announcement on 20th August"
    Nada.
    Their website changed to "announcement week commencing 20th August"
    Nada.

Emailed dealer, who said KenwoodUK difficult people, and the unofficial price they'd been quoted (which he's not allowed to reveal) has gone UP by 2%.

Seen prices on EU dealers sites circa 5800 euros, which equates to about £5100 & concurs with the 2% increase the UK dealer was muttering about.
    If the usual formula of £=$ holds true the 890 will be way above the $4000 you guys are expecting.

To be honest, all this prevaricating has sucked all the joy out of any anticipation I had about the 890 & I really CBA any more.

11. NG9F

NG9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for all that info G3ZPF.

12. KX1G

KX1G Ham Member QRZ Page

Price announced by a couple dealers.....$4,495

No comment.

13. KC2FQ

KC2FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's out.

I was hoping for a better price considering it doesn't have two receivers, it's just 100 watts and not SDR. The not SDR doesn't bother me much because the engineer interviewed said he couldn't reach the great receive specs he reached doing it that way. I could even forgive the 100 watts because 200 watt radios that are not the flagship model are "not a thing" just yet but no two receivers? What were they thinking? I also see the younger generation complaining that it doesn't have VHF and UHF but they don't get it where that's concerned (the same group complains the coming IC-9700 doesn't have HF so . . .). However, no dual receivers is unforgivable. PASS and that's too bad because I REALLY like Kenwood's stuff.

NY7Z likes this.
  14. NY7Z

NY7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My thoughts too. I can live without the second receiver or the 200W. But still, this is a $2,500-$3,000 radio. Kenwood is testing the upper limits of what early adopters will pay. I don't blame them, they are a for profit enterprise.

I am a huge Kenwood fan myself, and have been waiting excitedly 10 years for the release of the the successor to the TS-870 thinking I would almost certainly upgrade to the new radio. But unfortunately, the price is just ridiculously too high in my opinion. And although I could swing it, I don't like feeling taken advantage of, which is what I would feel like if I paid $4,399 for this radio. Hopefully, the price will settle down to around the $3,000 mark within the next few years and then I'll probably jump in. Even then, with like-new TS-990's on the used market for around $4K, it could be a tossup which radio I'll upgrade to.

FWIW, I think Kenwood's got a great design philosophy. Take it slow technology-wise, perfect the current state of the art, and put performance, quality, and reliability ahead of the latest bells and whistles. Kenwood is continuing in this philosophy with the TS-890, which is commendable on their part. It will be great to read the reviews and test reports as they start coming in for what looks to be a future all-time great radio.

KC2FQ likes this.
  15. KA5DOB

DX Engineering was the first to receive the new 890's yesterday, Wednesday 10/03/18. A ham friend of mine in PA and me in NM were called to alert us of the radios being shipped yesterday. Ed already has his up and working and mine will arrive this Saturday. I have anticipated receiving it now since last June when I first ordered it. It may take me a few days to get it setup like I want. I did talk to Ed on his today on 20 meters although it was right out of the box and he needs to set his EQ and up his processor to sound better with the expensive mike he is using. I'm with many hoping this new radio will top the Sherwood receiver list.

Find a lower price with it on sale maybe next Fall. Some buy the radio to check it out then offer it for sale used.

Jimmy