ad: CQMM-1

New Kenwood TS-890S HF Transceiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, May 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WM6P

WM6P Ham Member QRZ Page

SDR radios have shown superior results for over 10 years. Check out Sherwood Eng. for ranking of radios. I am including the K3 and K3s as an SDR.

2. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, when you get into HDMI, don't you suddenly run into licensing costs, handshaking issues, and overall more difficult software? All you need is a DVI to HDMI cable (or converter plug) to make it work, anyway.

KR3DX, N1VAU and NL7W like this.
  3. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Superior? In what way? Sherwood does not "rank" the receivers that he tests. As he states on his website: "Sorted by Third-Order Dynamic Range Narrow Spaced - or- ARRL RMDR (Reciprocal Mixing Dynamic Range) if Phase Noise Limited". That's it. A SINGLE parameter determines the placement of a rig. Some rigs that have identical 3rd order intercept numbers but LESSER results for other specs are placed above the superior performing receiver! Take a hard look at ALL of the specs before you decide how well a receiver performs compared to the others on the list. Also, the test parameters that are currently being used reveal the weaknesses of Superhet receivers, but they do not focus on the shortcomings of SDR type rigs. The FPGA in an SDR will collapse under the weight of a crowded band during a contest weekend, while a Superhet will keep on going. Then there's comment #37 by W6RZ:

"You can't get 150 dB blocking dynamic range with a direct sampling ADC. It's just not possible.

110 dB 3rd order intermodulation dynamic range is possible, but from what we've seen with the Sherwood testing, individual ADC chips perform differently by up to 10 dB. You'd have to test and screen all of the ADC's you purchase to guarantee the specification. No manufacturer would do that."

Look at the "second sample" rig's specs: The Superhet K3/K3s have specs that are exactly the same or they differ by only 1db. The 2nd samples of the true SDR rigs, The Flex 6700, the Icom R-8600, IC-7610, and IC-7300 all show a wide variation in performance. The Flex 6700 is 1st on the list and the 2nd sample is 18th! Not very consistent performance. Regarding the K3 and K3s: They are Superhet receivers with a DSP stage, they are not "direct-sampling" rigs with an FPGA as the "front end", therefore, they are not true SDR radios. Yeah, I know, Elecraft advertises them as "Superhet/SDR Architecture". In addition to the K3/K3s, the Icom IC-7851 and the Hilberling PT-8000A are Superhet receivers with greater than 100db narrow spaced dynamic range. Also the Yaesu FTdx-5000, but it's performance is phase-noise limited.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    K2NCC and AA5AZ like this.
  4. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for explaining that. I knew this in my brain, but couldn't get it out of my mouth or my keyboard to save my life. Einstein once said, "If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough." I'm guilty of that right here. I have a TS-590s and I'm very happy with how it performs when stacked up against two friends who own an IC-7600 each; I also have $800 invested where they have $2,5000~ invested.

5. KR3DX

I believe the TS-590s and SG are the best current "bang for the buck" rigs. Great performance on receive AND transmit (CLEAN signal, vs the dirty 7600 transmitter). They outperform many rigs that cost several times as much..

KE0EYJ, UT7UX, KN4RA and 2 others like this.
  6. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IMO DVI is more suitable for the TRX than HDMI. DVI is more “pro” with its screws that secure cable in the connector while HDMI is more “consumer”. Electrically DVI is compatible to HDMI (except audio link which you generally won’t need) so simple $1 adapter will solve “I've got HDMI-only inputs on my monitor” problem.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    KR3DX likes this.
  7. NO20CALLSIG

NO20CALLSIG Guest

I don`t think that this unit will ever outperform the latest Icom SDR radios

8. NO20CALLSIG

NO20CALLSIG Guest

rubbish...............

9. KR3DX

Warum nicht? There already are several superhet rigs which outperform the "latest Icom SDR radios" , and all of the other SDRs as well. Take a look at these test results: http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
    Keep in mind that the test parameters are designed for superhet receivers, they don't reveal all of the inherent shortcomings that SDRs have that superhets don't have. SDRs achieve high 3rd order dynamic range figures at the expense of sensitivity and noise floor performance. The dynamic range of an SDR decreases as the sensitivity is reduced, therefore, the 3rd order dynamic range number represents the BEST attainable performance. The 3rd order dynamic range of a superhet increases as the sensitivity is reduced, therefore, its dynamic range number represents the WORST performance that is possible. This means that reducing the RF gain will INCREASE the dynamic range of a superhet receiver, but reducing the RF gain of an SDR will DECREASE its dynamic range! Lower the RF gain on a superhet receiver and the dynamic range will be MUCH higher than on any SDR. SDRs achieve their dynamic range by dithering and randomization of the data, this manifests itself as an increased noise floor. This is why SDRs can't equal superhets for sensitivity and noise floor performance. As W6RZ has already pointed out:

"You can't get 150 dB blocking dynamic range with a direct sampling ADC. It's just not possible.

110 dB 3rd order intermodulation dynamic range is possible, but from what we've seen with the Sherwood testing, individual ADC chips perform differently by up to 10 dB. You'd have to test and screen all of the ADC's you purchase to guarantee the specification. No manufacturer would do that."

As I've already demonstrated, that dynamic range comes at a high price in a direct-sampling SDR.

Sherwood's testing of second samples of SDRs illustrate their tendency to be erratic performers as shown by their widely varying test results. Multiple samples of the Elecraft K3s and K3 with the updated synthsizer show that those superhet rigs have consistently high performance.

I see no reason why the new Kenwood TS-890 shouldn't be among the better performing receivers. The fact that it's a superhet instead of a direct-sampling SDR gives it a big advantage toward that goal.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    NY7Z, NL7W, KN4RA and 2 others like this.
  10. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Transparently jealous..try being a little more subtle next time.

11. KA5DOB

KA5DOB Ham Member QRZ Page

I just heard it may be available in late September. I sure hope so, I got one on order. I been hearing rumored prices of $3000 to $3500. I also found it will be manufactured in the big Kenwood factory in Japan where they make the TS-990's, so their's no doubting it's quality.

NY7Z and NL7W like this.
  12. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

If true, that's good to hear.
    Historically speaking, Kenwood HF radio audio has been par excellence.
    Icom and Yaesu... not so much.

13. KA5DOB

KA5DOB Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

The new TS-890S will be made at the Kenwood factory in Japan the same one where they build the 990S. I'm was told the receiver may test out near the Elecraft K3S listed in the top 5 in the Sherwood list. The K3S and the new TS-890S are Legacy type receivers and not SDR radios. The pricing, brochures and the release date will be available this September.

PSK Decoder

RTTY Decoder

CW Decoder

Touch Screen

7 inch TFT Display

Single Band Receive

13.8 volts DC

100 watts output 6 – 160

Full Down Conversion Receiver

Heavy Duty Automatic Antenna Tuner

Built-In Roofing Filters with ONE optional 270Hz CW filter

The Kenwood TS-890S is not a SDR transceiver.

A SDR receiver is UNABLE to accomplish these RECEIVER SPECIFICATIONS shown below.

3rd IMDR 110 dB

RMDR 112 dB

BDR 150 dB

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    AA5AZ and KR3DX like this.
  14. W4ZD

W4ZD Guest

Nice video, Pascal. But I could have done without the inane techno music. If you must add music to a video at least try to pick something pleasing.

KR3DX likes this.
  15. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the average ham on a city lot with low hanging wires and close by neighbors really going to notice the difference between a K3S or TS-89oS and a Flex 6600M ? I love my K3 but really like some of the features and station configuration possibilities of the Flex. SO2R in a box to name just one configuration. I just don't think I will realize much difference between the two. I really think the new Kenwood radio is going to give Elecraft something to think about if it really can perform to spec and comes in at $3500. I'm getting ready to spend a bunch of money in the next 6 months for a tech refresh of my station before I retire. I will also be selling off a ton of gear that is setting on the shelf. Fun time to be in the hobby !