ad: AbAuRe-1

New Kenwood TS-890S HF Transceiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, May 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WM6P

WM6P Ham Member QRZ Page

Really surprised it is a conventional super het and not an SDR. Just a 590 with better specs? Am I wrong?
    WM6P

2. W2NPR

W2NPR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Pascal!! And thank you for your other videos!! Although the TS-890S is a nice radio, I still like my TS-990S better. Best 73 to you and yours! DE W2NPR

3. KZ4USA

KZ4USA Ham Member QRZ Page

To bad its not 200 WATTS. The TS-990 will still have that over this model.
    To bad its not 200WATT. The TS-990S will still have that over this model.

4. NY7Z

NY7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks really good to me. Superhet is no problem whatsoever, in fact I'm glad Kenwood stuck with further perfection of existing technology instead of going with a flashy design with bells and whistles but not necessarily better performance. Kenwood is following its conservative design philosophy, which I, for one, and glad for.

100W is just fine too. Most of us will be driving an amp anyway. And if not, then 200W over 100W hardly makes much difference.

N4UP, UT7UX, KR3DX and 3 others like this.
  5. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From what has been written, it looks like a nice piece of hardware. If it works well over a period of a year, I may sell my 590's and purchase one.

6. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For those asking about SDR here's a thought: Check out the latest Ham Nation where there was an interview with Kenwood's lead engineer on the project. The engineer was asked about SDR, and in broken English he tried to explain it and Gordon couldn't get the details out of him because of the limited English capability, I think. What I believe he was saying was in order to receiver numbers published on the Kenwood ads, he did it without SDR and SDR would've hampered it - that's taking liberty on my part.

I guess in all reality, we'll never know until Mr. Sherwood gets a hold of it. It won't be long.

KR3DX and W4LJ like this.
  7. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can't get 150 dB blocking dynamic range with a direct sampling ADC. It's just not possible.

110 dB 3rd order intermodulation dynamic range is possible, but from what we've seen with the Sherwood testing, individual ADC chips perform differently by up to 10 dB. You'd have to test and screen all of the ADC's you purchase to guarantee the specification. No manufacturer would do that.

112 dB RMDR is entirely possible with direct sampling. In fact, the IC-7610 has 112 dB RMDR.

KA4DPO, UT7UX, NY7Z and 5 others like this.
  8. WD9IDV

WD9IDV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow!!! In this day and age I'm surprised that the Yaesu does not have the Ethernet port for remote set up.
    It's also a shame that Yaesu put on the older display port (DVI-D Dual-Link or DVI-D Single-Link) . No HDMI output......unthinkable! Yaesu put the USB type B connector on, really???

The Kenwood display output (DVI-I Dual-Link orDVI-I Single-Link) is better but no HDMI? To bad!
    At least Kenwood put USB Type A and B on their radio. But how come no USB 3.0?
    Thankfully, Kenwood had the sense to put a LAN jack (Ethernet) on their radio. Lets hope its implemented well.

Other than that, I want them both!

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    AA5AZ likes this.
  9. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I have zero clue. I'm just passing info along that I thought was interesting. When Sherwood gets a hold of it, we shall see. I'm also very interested in knowing what the price point is going to be as well.

10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, 3db for another $4k or so? I wouldn't choose a 990s over this one for that reason. There may well be OTHER things that make the 990s worth the extra money to some folks, but 3db isn't it. (Or if it is, they have way, WAY too much money...would be cheaper to buy a 600-1k W output class SS amp as an add on!)

11. N1JAO

N1JAO Ham Member QRZ Page

I reserved mine two days ago! Looks really nice to me.

12. K4KPT

K4KPT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to listen below 500 KHz, that is where 'most' SDR radios fall flat.
    My Kenwood TS-590 SG hears exceptionally well down to 60 KHz.

We should be excited Kenwood has devoted the resources to introduce a new HF rig at this time.

N4UP, UT7UX, KR3DX and 4 others like this.
  13. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Probably to run a separate monitor (like on the IC-781) to put the radios NTSC display on another monitor...

14. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, there's a DVI-I digital video jack on the back of this rig. It's meant to interface with the typical new monitor of today offering both DVI and or HDMI standardized digital video connections.

In this rig, doubt the DVI-I interface would support VGA analog with an adapter, but you never know.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  15. DAVIDRADIO

DAVIDRADIO QRZ Member