Nellie Ohr: Ham radio not used for Russia contacts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Mar 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Proving just how bizarre politics has become it's a bit distressing seeing this reported. :(

Ham radio should be used for making contacts with Russia - perhaps this info ought to be justification for the proposed expansion of FCC Tech license HF privileges. :D

What is so unusual about a 50 y/o, or any age woman, or man, wanting to get into ham radio. :eek:

LMAO :p

--------------------
    Nellie Ohr: Ham radio not used for Russia contacts

By: Jamie Dupree, Cox Washington Bureau

A transcript made public on Thursday by a GOP lawmaker in Congress shows that the wife of a top Justice Department official said she got a ham radio license as part of an effort to help with local community emergencies, not as part of any effort to communicate with anyone overseas, or to monitor broadcasts from Russia associated with the Steele Dossier.

"Have you ever communicated with anyone in Russia using your Ham radio?" Ohr was asked by one GOP investigator in the October 19, 2018 interview.

"No," Ohr replied, as she told lawmakers she had the lowest level ham radio license, which offers few frequencies to licensed amateur radio operators that would support contacts across the Atlantic Ocean.

Asked why a woman in her 50's would get a ham radio license, Ohr said the reason for her interest in amateur radio was spurred by a desire to support local volunteer emergency communications.

"I took a citizens emergency - community emergency response team training," Ohr said in a closed door interview conducted in October of 2018, saying it had been sponsored by the Department of Homeland Security 'and the local fire department.'

"And so I took the Ham radio class," Ohr testified. "I passed the test."

Ohr lives in Fairfax County, Virginia, which has an active Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program, that includes amateur radio classes designed to integrate local ham radio operators into emergency response efforts.

"I saw an ad for the community emergency response training, and I thought, now is a good time for me to do it," Ohr added, as GOP questioners asked only a few questions about her ham radio license, and then dropped the subject.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    VE7DXW and K9RBH like this.
  2. NH6RF

NH6RF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have 86 Russian contacts. Guess I won't be running for office.

KD8KNN, KN4LFC, KK3Q and 17 others like this.
  3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Bet there are lots of QSO's between USA and Russia in this weekends CQ WPX fone event. :cool:

In the mid-1960's, when I was a pre-teen SWL, Radio Peking broadcasts in English to the USA were reliably loud. Of course I sent a letter for a QSL card, and was put on their mailing list.

Then one day the postman delivered a genuine "Little Red Book" ie, Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-Tung.

My older brother teased me, "Oh oh, now you're on J, Edgar Hoovers Commie Watch List!" :eek:

UT2HC, N4DJC, AF6SA and 8 others like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Please do not let this go into politics or it will have to be moved to "Just talking - Politics"

One thread on the same topic has already been moved

Dave
    W7UUU

W0IIT, K7YB, NW5E and 6 others like this.
  5. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

VE7DXW and W0PV like this.
  6. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It was kind of dumb to ask Nellie if she communicated with Russia using her Tech privileges. If anything she would have used ham radio to pass traffic from FUSION GPS to handlers in the US government in an effort to bypass NSA monitoring of our telephones and the Internet. Fake info went from Nellie > to her husband Bruce who was #3 at DoJ > to the FBI > and then to the national media > via leaks from the FBI and DoJ.

At any rate, there's a positive note here for Jamie Dupree. After he lost his normal newsman persona due to a neurological disorder, he was able to use technology to develop a new voice.

Here's the story:

https://www.ajc.com/blog/jamie-dupree/pulling-back-the-curtain-jamie-dupree/mqd4O90Hfs4XCia1ApBR6H/

https://cmgwsbradiojamiedupree.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/bbc-world-service-dupree1.mp3

WB9BBE, AD6FR, KJ7WT and 5 others like this.
  7. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

"The times they are a'changing"...

When I got interviewed by the Security Police as a 14 year old
    in 1970 as part of the clearance process for my application for the then Novice licence, the interviewer looked sternly at me and asked:
    "Can you communicate with Russia using your radio?".

Political reliability played a good part in the licencing process at the height of the Cold War.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

SA6CKE, AF6SA, KD5RJZ and 3 others like this.
  8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

"Sure. Who do you want to talk to? Someone at the Kremlin or my KGB handler?"

KY1K, K4XJ, KD5RJZ and 2 others like this.
  9. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

If I would have attempted such an answer, it is highly unlikely that a licence would have been granted. Possession and use of a transmitter was Serious Business during this era. It would also have cast shadows over the political reliability of my family and my teachers.

In retrospect, I find it somewhat strange that a 7-grader was required to obtain a security clearance. But it reflected the high standards that amateur radio was subjected to.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

N5VAF, AF6SA and VE7DXW like this.
  10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, the KM4UDZ QTH in McClean VA could be be simplex range for FRS or even CB to FusionGPS in DC :p but bypassing the NSA probably could have just used WhatsApp, or the USPS :eek: :D.

Jamie Dupree is indeed an amazing ongoing medical recovery story. I have seen national TV coverage of it, several vids on YT too.

As NS3T he is also in my logbook for a QSO in the 2016 Sweepstakes, but that was on CW.

VE7DXW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.