ad: CQMM-1

Nellie Ohr: Ham radio not used for Russia contacts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Mar 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KF4ZKU likes this.
  2. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was a legitimate question IMO, as I too, wanted to know why she decided to get an amateur license during the time she was working with Fusion GPS. Her answer is satisfactory. There were many outlets that speculated nefarious reasons why Ohr got her license. I could not for the life of me figure out what she would do with the tech license that would further her other endeavours. If she wanted to "talk" to Russia, she could do so without a license I imagine.

Anyway, I and glad the whole issue is cleared up. It makes sense and the techncian's license is not difficult to obtain. As for her other activities...I will reserve comment so as to avoid delving into the political realm.

3. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had 371 contacts alone with European Russia of which many were made during the cold war. And many more with ex Soviet Republics.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  4. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I collude with Russians all the time to exchange location and signal report information.

K4XJ, KF4ZKU, K0GOV and 1 other person like this.
  5. NI4TG

NI4TG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A clandestine HF sked with a Russian would not require a license, lol. In fact, using your own call would be rather stupid.

KF4ZKU and G3SEA like this.
  6. K6VGC

K6VGC Ham Member QRZ Page

In 1970 I was in the Air Force being processed to get a top secret clearance. On the many forms that had to be completed I was asked if I had a Amateur Radio License. Later on in the process I had a personal interview with an intelligence officer who noted that I was a ham and asked me if I had ever contacted anyone in the Russia. I never had, though having my license sent me directly to work for the NSA as a morse intercept operator.

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Type the following into your search engine and reach your own conclusion. "Nellie Ohr lied about obtaining her ham radio license".

K4XJ likes this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

More interesting today, type "thumb drive" into Google News. o_O

Then search QRZ for hams with surname Zhang. Whoa! :eek:

All near the backyard of the QTH @N1FM ! :cool:

Perhaps a good time for a massage. ;)

Where's my NE Patriots cap... :p

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    KK1N and W5HEH like this.
  9. VE7IAF

VE7IAF Ham Member QRZ Page

"It was kind of dumb to ask Nellie if she communicated with Russia using her Tech privileges. If anything she would have used ham radio to pass traffic from FUSION GPS to handlers in the US government in an effort to bypass NSA monitoring of our telephones and the Internet. Fake info went from Nellie > to her husband Bruce who was #3 at DoJ > to the FBI > and then to the national media > via leaks from the FBI and DoJ."

5:5 Patriot

WC5P, W5HEH and K3XR like this.
  10. W5HEH

W5HEH Ham Member QRZ Page

MY QUESTION OF MRS N OHR WOULD HAVE BEEN , WAS ANY DIGITAL MODES USED TO PASS INFO TO FUSION GPS , NZ OR UK INTELLIGENCE ?? I AM A 66YR OLD WHO CAME BACK TO HAM RADIO JUST TO HAVE FUN AND BE A LITTLE PREPARED JUST IN CASE . WE MIGHT NOT EVER KNOW THE TRUTH , DOES IT MATTER , OR ACTUALLY CHANGE YOUR LIFE ? IF SHE OR ANYONE SHARES CLASSIFIED OR HARMFUL INTEL THEN LOCK THEM UP ! WON'T LET IT STEAL PRECIOUS TIME FROM MY FUN HOBBY . 73s ENJOY ALL
    #WWG1WGA

11. N0DNE

N0DNE Ham Member QRZ Page

This is really kinda funny...the only Russian I’ve ever talked with was done using my Tech-Plus privileges. I was traveling NB on I-25, yes mobile somewhere in New Mexico. Do I care if anybody knows about this? No! The feds have more information on me than I do, go figure.

Anyway, that’s my story...I did lose all my contacts on my iPhone though, I call up NSA and they reloaded them for me. LOL

KF4ZKU likes this.
  12. N7RD/SK2023

N7RD/SK2023 Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why waste space with Political junk. Waste of time and effort...

KF4ZKU likes this.
  13. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Because legitimate Amateur Radio is dependent on governments, and especially in democracies that means a publicly political process. So IMO it's imperative that AR as a group keep aware of how we are perceived, or a misperception is used, by those that are elected and govern.

The OP is a bizarre example of this, an April 1 example that sometimes foolhardiness can be stranger then fiction, but I agree, in general ham radio combined with politics rarely makes for a polite and fun forum topic.

However, so far I am very impressed and proud of how well behaved the Zed audience has been on this thread. :D Hopefully mods like @W7UUU are too. :p

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    W7UUU likes this.
  14. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

What we should all be at least a little aware of is that, if spies really are using amateur radio to avoid surveillance on the usual communications systems, certain busy-body politicians who like the idea of security theater might get the idea to invent a whole array of regulations on amateur radio hardware, requiring registration of equipment, background checks, etc... with of course the accompanying costs foisted upon users. Maybe a little far-fetched but they did give us the TSA after 9/11, so I would not put anything past them.

KF4ZKU, WN1MB and N8QWS like this.
  15. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Then we would have the Cold-War situation that I have alluded to about back.
    Radio amateurs were trusted, but only after jumping through many "hoops".

It would probably reduce the amateur population with perhaps 90% in some countries.

Having experienced this, I would be able to live with it, but I feel that I may be quite alone in this respect.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.