ad: Flexradio-1

Motorola Solutions Files Suit Against Hytera Communications Over Alleged Theft of DMR Technology

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6KEN, Mar 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Robert Hall this season, will show you the reason...LOW OVERHEAD...LOW OVERHEAD;-)

(see if anyone remembers that mind-numbing jingle;-) Circa 1961.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    WA8FOZ and WF9Q like this.
  2. K4IIE

K4IIE Ham Member QRZ Page

"Analog becoming obsolete",heard that before.When transistors arrived all thought tubes were dead,but not so.In high-end audio,tubes command a 60% in sales.Same with CDs.Turntables and vinyl are dead.Hasn't happened.Records and tables are selling at an all time high.In this area(Augusta,GA.) I have 25 local repeaters programmed in my 2M/440 rigs.They scan all day with nothing heard.Only in the evening do you hear anyone on.You really want to go digital,there will be even less action.Just because something is new doesn't mean it's better,it's just new...de K4IIE

NK2U and KF4ZKU like this.
  3. WB4YAL

WB4YAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe we are missing the point here. If all this is true, These SCABS stole from their employer and Violated a non-compete agreement. Then they took the stuff they stole to their new employer. Maybe we could get Johnny Depp to headline this movie: "Pirates of the Pacific Rim."

NK2U and N8SA like this.
  4. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

That might only be enforceable if they were US citizens.

5. N8SA

N8SA Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems the Courts will weigh in on this. Most large corporations work STRICTLY for Wall St. in whatever form that takes. the USB to Serial cords that China sells with these radios has stolen Code in them. The Engineers notes from the original programming are still in place......they CANNOT DEFEND THAT! BUT, those Companies DO NOT do business directly in the US, thus no chance of suing. Chinese laws do not ban this practice.......but if you want a cable that WORKS, buy American.....Basically the ones sold by RT Systems and others in the US. The power has always been our hands to NOT BUY CHINESE.......but cheap hams will go with cheap over moral most of the time......not realizing they are putting AMERICANS out of work.

KF2M and KF4ZKU like this.
  6. N8SA

N8SA Ham Member QRZ Page

John,

I like the movie idea! GREAT STUFF!

KF4ZKU likes this.
  7. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My X's former employer tried to sue her when she quit and started her own company because she signed a no-compete clause. When it went to court, the judge threw it out because such clauses are not enforceable in Michigan.

8. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

When I worked at Howmet as an R&D tech, my engineer was 'poached' from Pratt & Whitney and brought with him mountains of copies of Pratt's patents of nickel based super alloys for us to glean from. When I asked how that was legal, I was told that Howmet invented nickel based super alloys and how did I think that Pratt ended up making them? Howmet was so brazen about it, they actually kept the Pratt name and just added 'Mod 1' or the like after it. We also used alloys from other companies and 'modified' them and used them to make parts with. Standard operating procedure 35 years ago, and still is today, I see.

9. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Knowing what I know with a similar situation my recommendations to all engineers / developers would be to consult with an attorney that is well versed in business law before entering or exiting either by force or choice. My former employer shafted me hard, 1 year of all IP rights and 2 year non compete, needless to say I am having the last laugh.......

10. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Pure Capitalism, baby! Caveat Emptor.

11. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, these CAPITALIST HEROES got better value for themselves. Looking out for #1!

12. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I will give him a ton of credit for admitting that. The "turn around/investment " groups that buy well established brands and go offshore don't tell any one and worst of all they don't have any intention of lowering the price. Just play the consumer that fails to read the tag and or fails to look it up on aliexpress and find the pricing of similar products.

13. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow unbelievable.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on the consumer.

Guitarists, for example, are hyper aware of the provenance of the guitar, and expect a premium on US versions.

Because of this, major brands compete with themselves on the cheapo PRC versions.

The finest electric guitars are being made now in PRC--not Nashville or Fullerton. But the costs are dramatically lower... $300 vs $3000 dollars in some cases. Not the same pricing...

I own 50 guitars; a recent purchase of a Koa Wildkat for about $500 is better in quality and tone than my various ES335 and (Nashville and Kalamazoo) equivalents. About 1/6 th the cost.

Typically PRC manu makes two versions of things: 1) for US, Japan, and Euro markets thru their respective distribution; 2) internal Chinese sales.

Guess who gets the money for the China market sales...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    WF9Q likes this.
  15. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple months back I was shopping for a fully automatic band saw and I want to buy USA, manufacture quoted the good USA made one at 80k then quoted their "house" brand import at 52k. I went to Alibaba and found their supplier from overseas, exact saw just without decals 13k. Their sales rep crapped down both legs when I called him on this, have not heard back from vendor.

The quality from China is extremely good and better than the American made on some items, it is hit and miss on quality. The machines I buy from Japan are are always excellent as well as the American made Haas machines.