ad: elecraft

Motorola Solutions Files Suit Against Hytera Communications Over Alleged Theft of DMR Technology

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6KEN, Mar 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No glasses needed here. I see where stuff is made.

NK2U and WF9Q like this.
  2. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Was it the Tytera (TYT) thread(s) and posts or the recent Hytera thread (I think a GigaParts announcement)?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  3. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Doing what?

Your post made no sense, unless you where trying to be an ass.

Care to clarify what you meant?

--Shane
    KD6VXI

4. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

It is written in what I believe to be the English language, were the words to big for you? Hopefully not because it appears to be at a 5th grade reading level.

WU8Y likes this.
  5. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have like 3 cheap chinese radios ... better buy me a ripped off DMR'ish wannabe before they get banned or overpriced due to the lawsuit.

Ebay here I come.

6. G4IYK

G4IYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How is rushing out and buying more going to help? Every Chinese Copy or rip off bought means less revenue, prosperity, jobs etc for people at home.

KF2M, NK2U and KF4ZKU like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your service.

Some here might not get the humor above. They should look at your bio page.

Chip W1YW

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There are strict rules on what constitutes a 'Made in America' product; there are strict guidelines--government regulated for the moment-- that define an overall 'percentage'.

It gets very --anal-- including the origin of the raw materials. For example--some of my products include the use of PLA plastic-- made from corn starch. Can I assume that comes from the USA?

'Assembled in the USA' is not good enough to use a 'Made in the USA' label on a product.

K0EED likes this.
  9. WA1ZJL

WA1ZJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe they stole it, maybe they had different ideas on how to accomplish the same things. I know that I've designed things that after getting it working I see how I could have done it easier, cheaper, better. Looking at those trade names they seem pretty generic to me. After all, the term vox has been around forever. I think it stands for voice operated transmit or some such thing. Actually vox came from our side of the industry. I'm certainly not defending Motorola but I think they are reaching on some of it.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt that (Motorola is 'reaching').

Such lawsuits have to be quite thorough before courts accept them.

Issues of infringement are subject to interpretation of wording on patent claims, that get decided by courts.

But this formal complaint has other factors, such as breech of contract, that seem compelling, even with the little we have been shown.

Chip W1YW

11. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that is a very valid point. My suppliers must supply a cert that clearly identifies the steel as USA melt. Not sure if you purchase metal stock, it is hard to find product that is an actual USA melt and have a cert that states that. Also, many would be very shocked if they knew the country of origin for many of the food products that are consumed.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeh, most people don't know that:

The SCRAP iron is EXPORTED from the USA and melted down in MINI-MILLS in ASIA--and then(most of that) is newly 'imported' back to the USA. And as a result, many tree huggers blush with a'green' pride for recycling, even though the 'carbon footprint' has merely been pushed off to foreign climes...as they scrunch around in there wood built --rented--'tiny houses' riding to their barista job on their PRC bikes built from Asian re-melt, after amassing major debt in college by majoring in gender studies, and protesting global warming as an avocation.

Did I get it right? Well, at least our tree hugger didn't have to pull himself up by his bootstraps and re-invent himself. Heaven forbid!:)

Yep! Its ALLLLLL goo-oood!

KJ5GUY, KF2M, KE0CO and 2 others like this.
  13. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that is so true, bad part,,,, that is very small compared to the total volume.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear ya bro! :)

15. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Almost forgot, explain to me how a company can pay for scarp iron in USD, transport it across the ocean, remelt, make feedstock, machine it into a finished product then transport it back to the USA and sell it for nearly or less than what they paid it?