ad: AbAuRe-1

HR2.0 - RF-Kit RF2K-S Amp - Ham Radio Amplifier, Legal Limit, Hamvention 2022

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Jun 2, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KJ7E

KJ7E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In practice it makes a much larger difference than theory would dictate.

N2QM likes this.
  2. W0DN

W0DN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Where is your proof on that "fact" ?

Ive done the test myself went from 1500 to 100 watts while watching a meter
    on an SDR in Utah, sometimes it didnt even mean 2S units because of propagation

The funny thing is i talk with a group on 20 meters and most everyone has a very strong
    signal , 20-40dB, but insist on running power, no sweat to me, I run 100 watts and am
    20 over.....I really think some Hams think 1500 is 15 times better than 100 watts because
    of the simple math involved at reaching a false conclusion.
    In practice I can change EQ settings and most folks think I kicked and amp on.
    Of course if you want to believe in a different set of physics and math than I do thats
    FB, just let me know if youre a ATP,Doctor, or somebody else I should steer clear off
    73 have a good weekend

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  3. KJ7E

KJ7E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

35+ years of actual HF operation is all the proof I need. Your stuck on this arbitrary 2s unit thing, in practice the S meter is inconsequential weather it be sub s1 or 15 over 9. Good luck on your "fact" finding.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    WD4IGX and K0UO like this.
  4. W0DN

:D

5. WA2TP

WA2TP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice, however, it could be excellent if it could handle 1500 watts on 6M EME JT65 duty cylce.

KC5HWB likes this.
  6. K1RFD

K1RFD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

S-units aside, it's a 12 dB difference, which is quite a lot. Think how much difference a Yagi can make over a dipole, and that's only about 8 dB, typically.

WD4IGX, K0UO and W0DN like this.
  7. W0DN

it's 11.7dB , but who's doing the math right...
    1S unit is supposed to be 6dB.
    The point some folks are missing I think, is put up the best antenna you can afford/get away with, then add the amp. I know hams that bought the entry level rig and spent Thousands on the Linear w/o regard to coax loss etc...

N2QM and K0UO like this.
  8. K1RFD

K1RFD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed! The amp is completely out of the path on receive :)

9. WO2E

WO2E Ham Member QRZ Page

amps are not cheap at all, I wish I would have known about this amp when I purchase my ameritron AL-1500 I would have enough change for a good movie popcorn two hotdogs, and maybe a new antenna,

N2QM, K9UR and K0UO like this.
  10. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just got word that my new RF Kits amp should be shipping in the next couple of weeks. From a Mid-May order date (at hamvention) to delivery (expected in mid August) places the timeline exactly inline with what was communicated to me, ie, 12 to 13 weeks from deposit to delivery. woo hoo !

N2QM and K0UO like this.
  11. K9UR

That's right... and remember that needs change over time. I really didn't care about legal limit but really wanted full breakin. After thinking about things for a while, the idea of remote operation appeals to me because i travel a lot - and so having an integrated ATU in the unit enables near seamless remote operation from a remote site that has only 1 antenna and it doesn't cover all bands perfectly - an ATU will help. In the end, I figure it isn't really much more $$$ (or time) to step up... and with the price hikes, it's more of a bargain now than even a few months ago.

I was told when i ordered the mercury 3 that it is taking 1 year or more wait time...

K0UO likes this.
  12. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

An internal tuner that only handles up to 3:1 wouldn't work with my Zepp and balanced feed line anyway (most likely - with the right external balun, maybe sometimes) and I don't mind the wait because I have an AL-811H. But different strokes and all that.

K0UO likes this.
  13. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I received mine in about 11 weeks/ I ordered mine on Monday the week before Dayton.

It got here in 3 days from Germany on FedX
    Great Service

Very clean RF out on all bands/ looking at it with recently Calibrated laboratory instruments at +1500 watts (Rob Sherwood would agree). Much cleaner than my Icom PW1 at 1kw

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    N2QM, K9UR and KJ7E like this.
  14. K9UR

always wanted to try a pw1 8x mrf150 after running the 4x mrf150 in the als600 but with the advent of ldmos I do not think I’ll go back to mosfet —

K0UO likes this.
  15. WB7AM

WB7AM Ham Member QRZ Page

My QRO2500DX will do 2300 watts all day key down. and yes i run AM 100 persent dutty cycle. AMP uses two 4cx800A's grid driven. You can buy thies amps for about $3500 used
    Built like a tank, and I mean taink. WB7AM

N2QM likes this.