ad: Flexradio-1

HR2.0 - RF-Kit RF2K-S Amp - Ham Radio Amplifier, Legal Limit, Hamvention 2022

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Jun 2, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4IBC

K4IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you ever contact RF-Kit and ask them since you are so concerned about numbers?

Did you get a T-shirt and hat when you drank the Kool aid?

KC5HWB, K0UO and N3FAA like this.
  2. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

No, they can tell you anything you want to hear over the phone.

Alpha and KPA1500 have publicly posted it......

3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's just the rating of the total amp sections combined ( two 189s) you run it at 1500 watts, it is way over built. That's what you want, an amp with lots of back bone. It is type accepted at 1.5 KW and that's what the power supply was built for.
    DX engineering presented all the data on the earlier version which used 188s
    Their posting reflector has been up for several years with all of the data and ongoing discussions.
    It is good information ongoing daily for those of you that are arguing about data/ just join.
    The manufacturer doesn't hold anything back, it's an open book for anyone who wants to investigate it further.

This digest is @ main@b26-pa.groups.io, at https://b26-pa.groups.io/g/main

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    N2QM, N3FAA and WF9Q like this.
  4. K0UO

https://www.ok1rr.com/public/amp_overview.pdf

This is a list of most all solid state HF amplifiers past and present that have been commercially available. Along with type acceptance numbers, type of device used and other data.
    Enjoy

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily
    Screenshot_20220611-070853_Drive.jpg

This is just a snapshot of a small portion of that spread comparison sheet. There are many rolls/lines data and other amplifiers that are not visible. Download the PDF file if you're even thinking about a solid-state amp

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    N2QM likes this.
  5. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You're splitting hairs. Nearly everybody who has one of these seems to be quite pleased. If I were the amp maker, I would hope that you look elsewhere.....

KC5HWB, N3FAA and K0UO like this.
  6. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe one that is 1 mile in diameter.

They have protection circuits that fold back the power, for one.

So what is the point in buying $8000 amp to only run 400 watts.
    It makes no sense what so ever. If I wanted to run 400 watts I would buy a much cheaper amp. $8000 for a couple of minutes of FULL POWER is an extremely poor decision. In my case it will be going into a remote cat house so I don't want any issues. Sitting in the house on table is a much different issue, when it gets hot you can smell it and turn it off. With the KPA1500 they have clearly stated the full power keydown time. Now, with that information the system can be designed with that in mind. Is it the preferred duty cycle, no. It is a good fit other than building one from scratch using Tetrodes.

Most certainly have been doing that.

@K0UO

That chart from OK1RR.com is nothing but typical internet misinformation.

Its pretty obvious, KPA1500 is not 100% duty cycle and its clearly stated. Looks like they got confused with power out.

100% duty cycle is brick on the key at full advertised power output.

7. K0UO

By the way the amp is not $8000
    As stated in the video and on all the web pages it is $4990, with PS and built-in antenna tuner

Also DX engineering did extensive lab testing and field-testing on this amplifier.
    I'm not going to argue with K3LR or his tactical staff, they know what they're doing.
    Using one in a contest keyed down is pretty good evidence of what they will do also .... ..
    https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/rfk-rf2k-s#overview

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    N3FAA and KD5BVX like this.
  8. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been looking at many amps, sorry.
    Don't see it listed in the catalog as being for sale.

9. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They are all sold by Island Amplifier, KF6I.

K0UO likes this.
  10. NR9V

NR9V Ham Member QRZ Page

The reviews say it all. e-ham reviews for Solid State amps w/built-in ATU:
    RF Kit RF-2K+: 4.3/5 . . . Availability: 3 months backordered (estimate) $4,990
    SPE Expert 1.5K-FA: 4.7/5 . . . Availability: "contact for availability... demand exceeds supply" $5,595
    Elecraft KPA1500: 4.9/5 . . . Availability: estimated 2 weeks. Ships from US $6,700

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    K0UO likes this.
  11. K0UO

You may have not been looking at the review for the assembled U.S. model it's a 4.9

Screenshot_20220618-173900_Chrome.jpg

NR9V likes this.
  12. NR9V

NR9V Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I see now there are 2 different review pages for the RF Kit amp, thanks for pointing that out. The one with 4.3 has 12 reviews and the one with 4.9 has 8 reviews, and looks like the one with 4.9 is more up-to-date ("RF-2KS" vs "RF-2K+"). Apparently the older one was obsoleted with a very minor model# change.

Undoubtedly the RF Kit amp and or firmware is improving over time. For the price it does look like a good value, but with them being backordered for months it's not much of a real option in the near future anyway. I'd rather go with something made in the USA that's actually available. But I almost always buy used because I prefer to save tax and a few $ and would be fine with RF Kit, SPE, or Elecraft if a used one came up in good shape and a fair price. Any of them would give my TX signal an extra 6 or 10 dB when needed, though I'm not a fan of touchscreens on amps or built-in wi-fi. Too many potential issues with both. An amp with a simple LCD and plain old buttons is more likely to stand the test of time. The RF Kit amp is made by a company that makes only one product, and they don't even have that available at the moment. An amp is a long-term investment and I would bet the RF Kit is less likely to hold its value 5 or 10 years into the future. I wish them all the best though and probably by that time there will be 5 other companies making similar amps. By that time RF-Kit may be up to the "Z" model # suffix and there's no telling how well the previous models will be supported.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    K0UO likes this.
  13. WD6DOD

WD6DOD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have owned both amps. It was not a simple upgrade, the whole controller was redone with a Pi4. RFK provided a upgrade path with a new controller for previous owners. I control mine from the computer screen sizeable with all the functionality of the touch screen. I love my amp. I bought my S locally from Island Amps.

K0UO likes this.
  14. KO4BG

KO4BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I Love Mine, it runs Cool and Quiet Plus 1499 watts with about 25 watts drive!!
    Woody "KO4BG"

N2QM and K0UO like this.
  15. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well..considering legal limit is 1500W PEP, and using 2 LDMOS devices, the point that they make in their marketing and advertising is simply that there is plenty of headroom and margin in these amps. There is no deception. One doesn't need an amp that exceeds the FCC limit. Getting to the limit, reliably, is what is being advertised. No more, no less ...these are in fact 1700W devices. Two of them.. The competition has just one inside their box.

No where do they claim this amp is a 3400W amp.

They claim up to 2KW output in amateur service...but of course our legal limit is 1.5KW (as is the highest legal limit globally in ham radio).

Next question?

WD4IGX and K0UO like this.