ad: ProAudio-1

HR2.0 - RF-Kit RF2K-S Amp - Ham Radio Amplifier, Legal Limit, Hamvention 2022

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Jun 2, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WN4WDE

WN4WDE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had one for a year and half. I got one of the first ones from DXE that was assembled. Love the amp. Super quite. Very clean signal. It yawns at 1500 watts. There is also very good support from the amp builders thru an IO group. The builder will skype with you if you have a problem.
    It also requires very low drive power. Depending on the band 12-20 watts gets you to 1500.

K0UO and N3AWS like this.
  2. WN4WDE

WN4WDE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The power supply on the amp tops out at 60 amps at 53 volts. So depending on the band efficiency your max is probably 2200-2500.

K0UO likes this.
  3. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that for milli or micro seconds duration.

Looks like they are mincing the words to sell product, yes, pretty sure those LDMOS are rated at 1700 Watts PEAK PULSE. If memory is correct the pulse duration is less than that of a morse code "dit". So why in the world would I trust a company and buy from them when they are trying to deceive me.

4. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Shotgun mic was on the camera, this was just a loud event.

N5SKT likes this.
  5. KJ7E

KJ7E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The BLF189XRB can also be used in continuous carrier broadcast applications, not just pulse.

K0UO likes this.
  6. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

No one has mentioned--oh yes, its also about $5000 for this 'wonder amp'. Which is fine, but that's pertinent to mention.

PY2NEA, K9FV, KJ7OES and 1 other person like this.
  7. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Datasheet only specs it out with a 100us pulse, it does not mention if that is continuous or the dwell time between pulses.
    blf3.png blf2.png blf1.png

8. KJ7E

KJ7E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The pulse duty cycle and duration is only a concern as to transient thermal impedance. It has nothing to do with the devices ability to amplify RF in class AB mode, in any modulation scheme. If you continue to read the datasheet, you will see they list performance thermal performance data for 100% duty cycle pulse. Your example is just a test case, not a defining parameter. Your concern over the word pulse here is invalid.

9. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't think they're mincing anything, or trying to deceive you. Mine are 1400W each and I have seen 2100-2200 into a dummy load, with no issues at all.

The company markets it as: "RF-Output: 1500 Watts (... with headroom)"

And that's exactly what it does. If you feel deceived, then don't buy one. ;)

K0UO likes this.
  10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, typo in my post - FIVE large, not "give." Duh.

11. 9A0S

9A0S XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the 2ks. It is the first amp I bought. Check if you have explicit warranty because if it comes as a kit it wouldn't have I guess. Depends who sells it overthere. Otherwise it's good to have a soldering iron. Power meter, dummy load and a multimeter are a must if you get it as a kit. The kit meaning you get whole amp and you need to add Raspberry Pi and solder a coax to the pcb and do some trimmer settings.
    Now even if you don't have a warranty, the maker will help you over skype with any issues. I had a cold solder problem and we fixed it.
    The software is not exactly finished and gets regular updates. High SWR protection worked perfectly for me. Power meter is not linearly accurate, meaning when you get it on one band at 100W perfect it will not be accurate on other bands and other power levels (comparing to LP-100A). Still usable, and can be tweaked in user interface. The tuner sometimes doesn't tune well automatically and I get beter results manually tweaking the tune. And it doesn't autotune, you have to go through the band and manually store the tuning values on specific frequency intervals. Once in memory, it's super quick to tune.
    Older versions also got some hardware upgrades if you're ready to pay for them.
    I've been using it on End Fed and Moxon antennas. Worked regularly FT8 into End fed at 500W. Any higher would overheat my transformer. 1500W on SSB, no problem.
    I like it because I think the specs are conservative. I think those transistors could do more and if you keep them at these power levels, they are safe to work a long time.

K3RW likes this.
  12. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not, top contender for my purchase at this point is the Elecraft KPA1500. Those folks are being totally honest about the duty cycle. Alpha is also totally honest about the duty cycle but they are not being considered for purchase.
    Do need more information regarding the "developer" friendliness of the KPA1500, their remote control software is not going to integrate with what I am designing. So, after I contact Elecraft and assuming I get the right answers, if they do exist this purchase will be the KPA amp.

13. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually that is mentioned in the video by the interviewee

N2QM and K0UO like this.
  14. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I post it once again for your viewing pleasure: "RF-Output: 1500 Watts (... with headroom)"

Where exactly are they being dishonest about the duty cycle?

N2QM, K0UO and KC5HWB like this.
  15. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Omitting relevant facts is no different than telling lies.

They know exactly what the duty cycle is, its a sick number compared to tetrode/triode old school amps. Only one(only one I have found, might be others) of the SS amp companies that is being honest with that metric so far has been elecraft.

Actual duty cycle and power out are not the same thing.