ad: Alphaant-1

How does one get a refund of their membership dues, here?

Discussion in 'Policies, Guidelines and Terms of Use' started by W3RXO, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

While it is certainly American to disagree on political issues, those who advocate violence against those with whom they disagree politically are not wanted here and will not be tolerated. A simple Google search on websites promoting violence will lead to many hits where authorities have specifically targeted those sites for removal. While I seriously doubt that a web site primarily dedicated to ham radio would ever get mixed up with those sites, we at QRZ have no intention of finding out.

Indeed, simple common sense suggests one should not advocate on a public forum turning Washington DC into a nuclear waste ground or that Supreme Court justices should be shot. If one cannot post a logical response to such issues without advocating violence, then it's time to rethink hitting the "post" button.

..............Bob

2. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

The right to freedom of speech is a right that only limits the government's power over citizens, not private citizens over other citizens, which are free to exercise censorship (or moderation for the more squeamish) over any media they own or control.

Reminds me of the old adage that one should never argue with someone that buys ink by the barrel (or something like that).

3. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

For the same reasons they call a Death Penalty execution an execution and not a homicide.

I don't see moderating a board to conform to rules that one agrees to when joining as censorship.

Nor do I see the burning of books as moderation.

4. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Can we still talk about goats and fractal antennas and TS-520 transceivers and black widow spiders and channelization of HF>?:D

Censored Goat.jpg

Fractal Antenna.jpg

JUNK TS-520.jpg

Black Widow.jpg

Channelization.jpg

?

5. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All I remember about that thread is someone said that one nuke could return DC back to it's natural state in about 10,000 years. What's wrong with that?

6. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

It's best to speak up about misbehavior that you would not like to see repeated.

If you don't like having it pointed out - then do not misbehave.

7. W5WPL

W5WPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Proud to be a subscribed ZEDHEAD
    I don't care about the ads. It's about supporting something I enjoy and USE.

8. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But everything is good in moderation..... BTW: "It's not a tax!" - BHO

9. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Haven't seen many WIDDERS lately!

But then, I KNOW BETTER than to go out after DARK!!!

10. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Great, we agree.
    - It is censorship. OK, so what? The Zed owners have the right to censor. Or moderate. Doesn't matter what it is called, and we can each call it different things. That doesn't change their rights or ours.
    - Ham radio is about communication. Yes. But this isn't ham radio here, and the comments in question were about neither ham radio nor communication. They were simply...against the rules and thus removed.

But you know... I changed my mind. Moderation is a better word here.

My definitions:
    a moderator is one who manages a structured discourse in part by enforcing the rules that apply to that structured discourse.
    a censor is one charged with removing certain aspects of messages (or messages of certain types) from ALL discourse, including those we we generally consider to be unstructured or otherwise in the realm of "free speech".

Webster's online dictionary is generally the same:
    moderator means "one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion" or "an arbitrator"
    censor means "a person who supervises conduct and morals: as an official who examines materials (as publications or films) for objectionable matter or an official (as in time of war) who reads communications (as letters) and deletes material considered sensitive or harmful"

Pick mine or Websters and I believe the word moderator is the better choice. The effect is the same - certain things are disallowed, the difference is there's a structured format here, with rules that are clear and a condition of participation. When a particular post is removed, it isn't because it an official is enacting a moral edict, rather it is because the post is against the preestablished and agreed rules for this assembly.

11. AB1QP

AB1QP Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have to ask, you don't need to know.
    Good advice to Flakey Foont in the 60's, good advice now.

Mr. Natural

12. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't think you were a real member till you had been deleted at least once, I have been. It never made me ask for my money back in fact I still join again each year. OH yeah I had my hand slapped also it was my fault I just try not to let it happen too often.

Common sense goes a long way in a lot of places.

13. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Deleted by author -- posted to wrong place.

14. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well if a moderator buys a book he is free to burn if he pleases. He can't however come to your house and burn your books. I can burn a U.S. flag, if it's my property, the SC said so. I can't burn your U.S. flag without consequences.

A moderator is a person fulfilling a role, censorship is an action he may or may not take on a given posting or thread. A moderator may be even handed or very erratic and arbitrary. If the rules say no politics and religious topics why are they so many of them in this forum? Some get closed but many just run their course to exhaustion. I think posting on politics and religion on this site is a lot like speeding on the highway, we all know it's against the rules but we do it anyway sometimes. Speed too frequently and you most likely will suffer some consequences. Sometimes you just got to be an outlaw. :)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.