ad: ProAudio-1

Govt to take back VK ham admin functions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK3YE, May 25, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, this made me LOL... why? AIR RACING! Somewhere around Indonesia these guys get on and blast thousands of watts trying to be the loudest one on air to compete for prizes. It's illegal, but people around those islands (somewhere?) do it. If you've ever heard what sounds like moaning and chanting to high heaven over and over again, that's it.

YB9BWN and N3RYB like this.
  2. KT2I

KT2I Ham Member QRZ Page

Not on topic, but following the power thread: My favorite part of this hobby are the beautiful colors I get to look at on my waterfall from the overdriven amplifiers on 40m.

W0DN likes this.
  3. VK5KKS

VK5KKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Beats dropping acid...

KT2I likes this.
  4. KF4DDJ

KF4DDJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KF4DDJ

KF4DDJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No kidding oh branch of clear wisdom...Finally someone brings this up...Wonder how the ole noodle works with constant exposure to "ear buds"...

6. CA7OKD

CA7OKD Ham Member QRZ Page

In Chile, 1200W is allowed, and authorization can be requested for periods of up to three months to increase power.
    But with low power you can also..., at https://www.qrz.com/db/ca7okd you can see maps of my QSO's, most with 5W, a few with 8 and 10W; 1000 QSO's are not achieved in a day but 5-10 QSO's is very satisfactory.
    What is important: antenna and good coaxial...

UT7UX likes this.
  7. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That kind of temporary permit could be useful for contest weekends I believe.

This is great, thumb up!

But we talk about somewhat different things. You say you've got excellent results with QRP and I agree: you do, and this is obviously possible for any enthusiast with decent antennas. Still I say I'd wish to have an amp. I didn't say I cannot live without, or I would only work with the amp.

Towards everyday contacts it's pretty hard to achieve 1000 QSO per day unless you are a DX everyone wants to call. According to let's say CQ stats, in contests best SSB operators do some half of thousand QSOs while best CW OPs do up to thousand QSO. Except PZ5CO in 2022 with astonishing 4478 CW QSO per weekend. That would be weird since PZ is not on the top of the list still it is wanted multiplier for any participant.

That's essentially true for whatever power one's rig is able to emit.

8. EA5JBX

EA5JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

UT7UX likes this.
  9. CA7OKD

CA7OKD Ham Member QRZ Page

The 1000 contacts thing was for putting a number..., and you're right, power is necessary according to conditions and in contests; and also imagine 5kw or more during a contest or in periods of low propagation.
    Regards, Cesar CA7OKD

UT7UX likes this.
  10. VK4DX

VK4DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Cesar, which logging program do you use, what is that on your PC on your QRZ.com profile picyure?

11. UT7UX

@EA5JBX Sí, estoy de acuerdo.

12. YB9BWN

YB9BWN Ham Member QRZ Page

"It's illegal, but people around those islands (somewhere?) do it."

LOL. With virtually no enforcement whatsoever, our wide range of freedom in these islands can make even the most sovereign American citizen blush.

13. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

I hear this nonsense mostly from hit-and-run "contact" collectors.

When instead the goal is sustained ragchews, or hour long roundtable nets where you must use an omni-directional antenna so that a dozen others from all points of the compass can hear you equally, and especially on the low bands, then it's rude to strain the other ops' ears with a weak signal.

UT7UX likes this.
  14. VK3ACZ

VK3ACZ Ham Member QRZ Page

15. UT7UX

It's always rude to strain the other ops' ears with a weak signal. A QRP'er doesn't work DX but DX works a QRP'er. A QRP'er is a cheater that uses other party's gear and operator skills to make a contact.