ad: chuckmartin

Govt to take back VK ham admin functions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK3YE, May 25, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Big news for VK hams announced today

The Australian Maritime College will withdraw from providing amateur radio services, with it choosing not to renew the outsourcing deed with the Australian government to perform certain services such as amateur exam administration and call sign issue.

These functions will revert to the ACMA (the government communications regulator) as part of other reforms including moving amateurs over to a 'class licence'.

The new arrangements start Feb 2024 after consulting on arrangements for examiner accreditation later this year.

AMC's record has been mixed with periods of slow service and some fee increases. The outsourced arrangements also added a layer of complexity to getting or upgrading an amateur licence or call sign.

More here: https://acma.cmail19.com/t/d-e-vljltjl-tlidaldtu-r/

VK5FUSE, VK3AIF, AA7M and 9 others like this.
  2. VK7NRT

VK7NRT Ham Member QRZ Page

This is great news the current arrangement has certainly not worked well.

VK3AIF, VK2OZ, KG4BFR and 4 others like this.
  3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

It can only get better, eh? Or, much worse.

VK3AIF, VE3MYC, KF5RRF and 5 others like this.
  4. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What about pushing legal limit towards few kilowatts? BTW in my country legal limit is just 200W, pretty nothing. :(

M0TRU, KS4CA, KB7VOM and 8 others like this.
  5. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I always wondered why you blokes down under were limited to 400w...is it because of your proximity to Indonesia (and the possibility of interfering with services up there) or just because some bureaucrat in Canberra said so?

VK5FUSE, VK2TEV, ZL1TKL and 1 other person like this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It closely aligns with UK amateur limits.

VK3AIF, M5PM, VA3MIU and 5 others like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just checked India, there the limit seems to be 400 W also. Perhaps that was the default for Commonwealth countries as inherited from the UK?

VK2TEV, VA3MIU and KG4BFR like this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm for keeping government intrusion out of our lives as much as possible, but some things just make sense to have the government regulate particularly when it is country wide in scope. I don't know if most operators in the "land down under" see it as a positive move but let's hope it works out for the better.

VK5FUSE, MW6PNW, KF7PCL and 4 others like this.
  9. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Approximately fifteen years ago, I had the privilege of serving in an Australian firm, NewSat. During this period, I had the pleasure of meeting remarkable individuals, notably VK3MO, known as Ian, along with others. An intriguing event occurred when one of my colleagues in Australia made the decision to acquire his Ham radio license.

The procedure to secure this Ham radio license was deeply impressive. Local clubs enforced an in-depth understanding of the Ham transceiver, making it a vital part of the testing process. Applicants were required to demonstrate proficiency in setting up the rig in various modes, mastering the art of measuring Voltage Standing Wave Ratio (VSWR), recording power readings, and comprehending Automatic Level Control (ALC).

While I remain uncertain if this extensive examination was a standard requirement for all Ham applicants or exclusive to the Melbourne region, I found the approach highly practical and effective. I wholeheartedly applaud the Australian Ham radio community for maintaining such an exceptional standard of expertise.

Best Regards,

Tom, NN2X

VK5FUSE, VK3AIF, VK3BWM and 10 others like this.
  10. W1GCF

W1GCF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It would be lovely if someone offering an opinion can articulate why it would be. I can't imagine what else you can write though. I like a thread that has useful opinions based on considered thoughts.

VK5FUSE, KY8D, W5KDL and 3 others like this.
  11. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, our Foundation licence has a basic theory requirement (a bit less than the US Technician class) but does require a practical assessment.

NN2X, VK2TEV, KI5UXW and 2 others like this.
  12. ZL1API

ZL1API Ham Member QRZ Page

We are allowed 1kw in New zealand so it is a bit strange to have a 400w limit inVK.

VK5FUSE, KI8CO, ZL1KFM and 6 others like this.
  13. VE7VXO

VE7VXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Commonwealth again eh? Is that 1000w DC input over there in Kiwi-land or is that carrier power? We're 700w carrier or 1000 DC whichever comes first here in fascist canuckistan. Hey what does it mean, "commonwealth"? Is that the wealth that is taken from the commoners or?

N3HOE, KI8CO, YB9BWN and 7 others like this.
  14. KB7DV

KB7DV QRZ Lifetime Member #147 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I always found it pretty amazing at such low power ratings. It would be nice to hear more of you blokes even up here in DU land.

VK5FUSE, VK2TEV and UT7UX like this.
  15. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

I"m not a fan of high power. It's a fascinating technical challenge for some but we only need it and have it because others have big PAs as well... There is absolutely no other reason, they only create problems.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    SM6WWK, KD0XL, KI5YZQ and 11 others like this.