FT8 Burnout? Possible Remedy: Conversation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Nov 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first RTTY setup was with a Robot 800 keyboard, I'm guessing around 1982 or so! It eventually had a chip go bad in it, and it was a custom chip and could not cross-reference it to another brand of chip. I don't even remember what I did with it.

2. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just checked my log... My first Olivia QSO was 31 Mar 2006, and last one was 18 Jan 2010.. long time since. I always found it quite slow, and difficult to tune. I don't particularly like the digital programs that incorporate RSID. I'd rather use a more narrow mode such as PSK31, just simpler to use for me.

3. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Regarding digital mode power.... In a very down solar cycle....

I totally agree with Robert, VE6XMB. Would everybody please run at PSK-31, Oliva, RTTY, FT-8 etc. at 5W maximum into an EFHW antenna at 6 feet? That way it will be MUCH easier for ME to make contacts with the enormous number of DX stations clearly running >>100W with (laser) beam antennas. :)

And ... just what ARE we going to do with all those new, bright, shiny and expensive LDMOS amplifiers, and the many inexpensive, readily available tube amps now flooding the market? Hmmm. RTTY, anyone?

4. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I personally don't like key-board chatting and no FT-8 burn-out here.

N4NYK and NU4R like this.
  5. N4DJT

N4DJT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After jumping on the ft8 bandwagon, I have gone between ft8 and psk-31. I do like to do a little keyboard rag chew now and then. nothing wrong with ft8. just need something a little more personal than signal report and 73 every now and then.
    as for power level.
    "Life is too short for QRP"

6. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to enjoy Olivia until folks running high power and/or excessive audio gain began to use the mode. Those signals generated sidebands eclipsing 200 to 800 hz on both sides of their signal. A popular bandwidth used in Olivia is around 500 hz, so other close-by signals can be obliterated.

So, with that and the lack of Olivia activity these days, I'm back on cw where old-school traditions still prevail: courtesy mostly, and the occasional long QSO with someone of similar interests. Maybe someday the digital modes (Olivia, psk31, etc) will spread out from their tiny allotment and move up-frequency into the rtty and automatic digital domains and probably sooner than we think with myriads of new digital modes popping up so frequently. Operators could also move down-frequency into the cw domains as we dinosaurs die off. It's just change, and to me it's all just a pastime.

VK2WP likes this.
  7. WA5M

WA5M Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Thomas, for the re-introduction into this mode. Haven't used it in quite a while, but time to re-give it a try. Running HRD 5.24 here and hope all this works in the older versions. Look forward to chatting with you on Olivia..
    Brian, WA5M

8. K6BRN

Regarding CW traditions... that includes full break-in amps at 1500 watts (input or output, depending on era) as I remember. And some pretty significant battles during DX pileups.

N6VL likes this.
  9. AA9G

AA9G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think every FT-8 version should come with a folder full of awards, say the 50 most common. You're gonna get them all in a week or two anyway, may as well save the time and effort.

KI7MJU and K3FHP like this.
  10. K6BRN

It's pretty funny that a few operators actually believe the SDRPlay RSP-1A can match even a compact comms receiver or tranceiver for performance. It can't and never will - not in its current incarnation. There is a REASON that Icom R75, R8600 and IC-7300 boxes are BIGGER. But then, a lot of them are held to "The Sherwood Test" and do not make major compromises in performance to lower cost the way the SDRPlay does.

But the popularity and usable performance of the SDRPlay RSP-1, which appears to be a clever re-purposed adaptation of a general-purpose tuner chip-set, shows that Sherwood-level performance is not necessary to be useful, whether it be for a 2nd receiver, waterfall display or poor man's spectrum analyzer.

Its not clear how much improvement moving from a 12 bit to 14 bit ADC in the RSP-1A will yield. Its the Effective Number of Bits (EOB) that counts, the quality of front end filtering before the S/H and what the DSP system does with the usable bits it actually gets. They could even be thrown away. So let's try out the new 1A and see how it compares to the 1 model. At $119, its just not that expensive. And the 1 was very useful, I doubt the 1A will be worse.

KC3KCQ likes this.