FT8 Burnout? Possible Remedy: Conversation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Nov 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The robot units were fun. I ran a Sideband Engineers SBE36 B&W SSTV robot and Drake Twins on 10m in the late '80s. 73

2. VK6YSF

VK6YSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the post, a lot of good information.
    I'm a big fan of Olivia, however I have had few contacts other than prearrange ones due to the obvious lake of activity. I have attached a video of a prearranged contact I had with Dale KB3FEI earlier this year(2017) which really demonstrates what a great mode this is for long haul communication from a basic station in pretty bade conditions.

Very keen to promote the use of Olivier and more than happy to arrange more contacts, particular from the far side of the World.........

Regards Peter vk6ysf

KX5JT and NW7US like this.
  3. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No it's just people not really understanding something and then parroting arguments they read somewhere spread by somebody else who didn't really understand it either.
    Pure Dunning-Kruger at work here.

As for JT modes only used for low power, every EME operator running JT65 at KW+ levels may just get a big chuckle out of this statement :)

4. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love olivia....I've been on that mode for awhile, 8/250;8/500;16/500. Psk 31 isn't to bad lately. used to be on psk 31 the qso's would last 8.9 minutes and then qrt. OLIVIA is really a great conversation mode/s. I'm on 8/500 on most days from my mobile 14.072.00,14.072.50. Ft8 is a quick,fast way to get name,rank and serial #. JT65 and jt9 are slow.JT4 is a little faster. Then there's contestia,mt64,dominos,thor,throb,hell,mfsk,amtor ( been trying to get some activity on that mode for some time ) pactor,packet, psk 220,250,ale 400, axe 25 and whole lot of others. Even RTTY. 40 meters is a great dx band for 40 RTTTY 7.040-7.030. used to be that the digital dx was on 7.035 khz, there used to be a ton of psk dx operators there. Now it's 7.070. The only problem with FT8 I can see on 20 meters is that the signals tend to be broad enough that the side qrn spreads up to 14.075.50 and down to 14.072.00 khz. We can all get along on this band IF we give each other a little more breathing room.My suggestion is this: digital controlled stations 14.125-14.110 khz; packet: 14.110-14.100; RTTY 14.100-14.080; DIGITAL ( all modes except psk. FT8 remain at 14.074 ) 14.080-14.068.50khz; Keep the 14.070 for psk and allow 14.080- 14.068.50 for other modes. I have heard olivia,contestia,psk being used on or about 14.069-14.068 in the past. But when you try to establish a contact on 14.072, 14.072.50, the splatter from the FT8 stations is overwhelming. I really like FT8, a ton of dx there. But OLIVIA is really a nice conversation mode. It is especially surprising when I sign KA1BSZ/M and people say Really? mobile? Even for us mobile,qrp,qrpp and operators with limited antennas that have small signal, it's hard to compete with stations that have 120 foot towers, with 4,5,6,8 and 11 element beams. We can all get along on this narrow, crowded band if we just give every one a chance to work the rare one 73 FROM VERMONT DE KA1BSZ/M

5. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do wish that there was more activity on MFSK16. It really is a great rag chew mode for bad band conditions and lightning QRN.

It's hard to find a QSO now especially if it's a new station that I've not already worked repeatedly.

6. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I still try to make one CW QSO every day. I think that the mode activity is growing not dieing.

It's now used for the love of the mode, not because it had to learned to gain certain license privileges.

7. K4SOL

K4SOL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used olivia mode almost exclusively now since the band conditions have been so poor. It is a great mode. One thing I was glad to see in the article was the advice to turn on TXID. I have used the modes long enough to recognize what mode most of them are by sound, still many sound similar (olivia, contestia). I have had many operators new to these modes tell me they were having trouble identifying the mode. TXID solves that problem and makes it easy for new converts no matter the mode.
    As far as the FT/JT modes, personally I don't have much use for them. I'm one of those old guys that like to have a conversation. But that doesn't mean the JT/FT modes are "Bad". Choice of mode is one of the things that make ham radio great. I think one of the things that got olivia ops so upset was being on 14.074 for so long then being kicked to the curb by a new mode. I know nobody "owns" a frequency but I think FT8 could have been started someplace else considering the long standing use of olivia on 14.074. That said, it's history now and I don't expect it to change. I'll survive and so will olivia mode on 14.073+-.

8. WA6JJM

WA6JJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Conversation? Chatting? Making new friends? Do 'ya mean these things still exist? Is there more to a QSO than 5NN TU and collecting points? Perish the thought!

9. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 isn't for everyone. I got bored with it pretty fast but I have a friend who loves it. To each his own.

KX5JT and HB9VQQ like this.
  10. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's why amateur radio is the best hobby in the world. So much to do, so much to explore whatever anyone person is interested in. This US vs. THEM thing that I see with these threads doesn't really gain anything.

HB9VQQ, PY1ZA, VK6APZ and 1 other person like this.