ad: Halibut-1

ETH035 - Elmers, Are You Doing Your Part?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5CLM, Sep 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K5CLM

K5CLM Ham Member QRZ Page

In this episode of the Everything Ham Radio Podcast(released Yesterday 9/15), we talk about Elmers. What they are, what they do and how important they are to newly licensed operators. Are you doing your part?

Amateur radio club spotlight: Capa May Amateur Radio Club in NJ.

GigaParts has given me a 10% off discount code for any Nanuk cases they have, check out the show notes or the episode for the code. They have also given me a Nanuk 904 case to give away. Tune in next Thursday, 9/22, for details on how to win it.

We talk about upcoming events and Hamfest for the next two weekend, and a couple news stories that I thought y'all find of interest.

http://www.everythinghamradio.com/podcast/35/

2. KB5RF

KB5RF Ham Member QRZ Page

I just subscribed. Thank you!

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am.

I do not need to subscribe to help a brother out.

4. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

If your intentions to help newcomers were sincere you would be providing a link to a NON MONETIZED site. Its getting pretty old being mislead, another thought since your site is for your financial gain WHY don't YOU contribute the proceeds to a good cause.

KA9JLM likes this.
  5. WV8RS

WV8RS Ham Member QRZ Page

I concur... Now days all you hear is donate to "This", GIVE to support That, which is just "double speak" for open your wallet... I have 3 guys I have gotten interested in Amateur Radio and at some point given a radio to... More importantly, I have shared what little bit of knowledge and experience I have amassed over the past 20 years with them... I've helped set towers and build antennas that have worked fairly well... Showed them how to "Safely" hang a wire and set it up so it'll stay till they want to take it down... So I guess in a round about way I did open my wallet BUT, it wasn't after being pressed to give or support some cause... I feel I gave something more valuable, knowledge, my time and my assistance... WV8RS.....

6. W4HLN

W4HLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Wanna ask me again? 128 hams elmered...Taught code...theory... 128 passed to NOVICE...when code quit....I quit. Buy a book if you want to pass a ham exam....If you cant pass a ham exam alone now your a friggin idiot!

7. KB1PA

KB1PA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

New Hams who teach themselves by reading a book need Elmering more than at any time in our history. They have no idea how to use
    (let alone build or repair) a radio, or even program one. More than ever Hams need to do more elmering. walking away is not the answer. Clubs and individuals need to develop post exam classes or the new hams will just fall thru the cracks and never participate in our great hobby.

KG5ILR likes this.
  8. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Please post your work when it is completed so all of us can learn from it.

9. KB1PA

KB1PA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am working on a few ideas. I will post when its almost done, so it can be ripped to shreds on the 'Zed :) All feedback will be welcome. good or bad :):):)

WF9Q likes this.