ad: LZQSLprint-1

Calif. hams face thousands of dollars in state fees for repeater sites in the midst of wildfire emer

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Oct 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KI6USW

KI6USW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmmm . . . yeah . . .
    Ya think they are up to something?

Here is a video by Gun Guy TV from YouTube. It is a little windy and takes about ~17 min to watch. But if you are a Amateur radio operator ANYWHERE in the US; then I suggest you might take the time and understand what is happening.
    Can't wait to hear comments!
    PS - this is also true for any CB radio ops working with emcoms - few as they may be.

3. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

4. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KB9OAK

KB9OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like current news unless the whole thing is done and over with and CA has a system in place equipped to deal with any level of emergency.

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

The "article", if you can call it that, appears to be a completely biased rant. The title, "Cal Fire Moves to Dismantle Ham Radio System, Endangering Lives Amid Blackouts and Wildfires" reveals that.

Hosting equipment costs money, period. Ethically, you can't give something away if it costs the taxpayers money.

"What is infuriating here is people are going to die because of this decision. It costs the State of California nothing to allow these repeaters on public land; in fact, Ham Radio Operators pay for the equipment and maintain the equipment at their own cost."

People are going to die? How does the author know this?

"Instead of continuing to use a system that has worked for decades, the California government has instituted a cell communication plan that has already failed.

In 2012 the federal government launched FirstNet, a public safety nationwide broadband network that many in the government think will make Ham radio operators obsolete. In reality, its nothing more than a $47 Billion Federal Cell Phone Network that itself is already obsolete. In fact, it needs LOTS of infrastructure to function, and it creates multiple, single points of failure."

Ham radio is not a substitute for a public safety 4G network.

Sorry. Fake news. If hams want to help, show an organization that has a plan, and qualified people to execute on it, with agencies signed up. Ham repeaters don't intrinsically "save lives".

AJ6KZ, KG7FIU, K0IDT and 4 others like this.
  8. KB9OAK

My local repeater association has it's own locations for repeaters independent of any city, county, state, or federal direct control. Perhaps this needs to be the norm?

KM6LYW, KK4NSF, KX4O and 1 other person like this.
  9. KB9OAK

Actually, it's common for State and local municipalities to blow millions on communications gear that never works, or doesn't match the performance of the system it is intended to replace. Several cities and towns nearby had just that occurrence. If Hams are run out of town and the existing comms are garbage, what do you think is going to happen? Flowers, bunnies, sunshine and rainbows?

10. WD4CNO

WD4CNO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

11. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, hate to tell you this, but there are already two other threads on this subject on this forum.

Suffice to say that there’s more to the story.

AI7PM and AG5DB like this.
  12. WD4CNO

WD4CNO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Please point me in that direction so that I can read more about it.

13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Threads merged. It's all in this thread

N2EY likes this.
  14. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Holy crap! I just realized...I haven’t heard any California hams on the air in two, maybe three years!

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE WITH THEM!!!!11!!

#freethecaliforniahams #neverforget

KX4O and AE8W like this.
  15. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

This is someone‘s idea of a sick joke.
    It isn’t real.