ad: QuirkyQRP-1

ARLB011 Amateur Radio Parity Act Language Inserted in National Defense Authorization Act

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N9PBD, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

OTARD happened in order to level the playing field between cable and OTA broadcast, serving TENS OF MILLIONS of subscribers. They could "cut the cord" to subscribe to other service (or use FREE service).
    ...because a relative few hams w/ antennas would/will benefit only them, and zero of their tens of millions neighbors.

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

But of all HOA's in that statistic, the majority of them don't permit any cars to be jacked up on the front lawn on concrete blocks.

That accounts for a large majority of HOA's that have written rules against this activity.

A large majority of HOA's have written rules pertaining to installing outdoor antennas. That is a fact, otherwise hams would be installing them in HOA's, but they are not and it's because they have rules that are stopping them from doing so. Even reasonable outdoor ham radio antennas are not permitted.

Those are facts encountered by many hams and this bill wouldn't even exist in the first place if it wasn't a problem. Guess what? It IS a problem.

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If hams would be willing to limit themselves to STLs installed at typical STL heights, it would be easy to get an AR exemption under OTARD. ;)

4. KK5JY

I known a number of hams who have installed large antennas at their HOA and/or CC&R homes... it works because their HOA/CC&R doesn't restrict antennas.

So again, you're over-generalizing your assertions. "HOA" does not automatically mean "no outdoor antennas."

5. WA7PRC

Wow. Just.... WOW. o_O

KK5JY likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

Off topic?

OTARD and ARPA have a LOT in common with respect to antenna restrictions at HOA's.

You're either in denial of the obvious, or you're avoiding this example because it proves my point that a large majority of HOA's have antenna restrictions today and/or in the historical past with respect to ALL types of outdoor antennas whether they are ham radio, satellite dish, TV antennas and others.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  7. KK5JY

I keep trying to be surprised by statements like the ones you quoted, but unfortunately, such reasoning comes directly from League press releases. :(

K0IDT and WA7PRC like this.
  8. KC8VWM

I would save that reaction until the president signs this bill into law.

9. KK5JY

But not with respect to the post that you quoted. If you want to justify ARPA numerically, the numbers required will be very different than those needed to justify OTARD, because of the differences I explained.

If it's so obvious, then provide the numbers to prove it. Otherwise, everything you say is just conjecture.

10. KK5JY

As I have said before, I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to start an STL business, and we're going to specialize in attic installation hardware. :D

11. WA7PRC

The HOA's possession of what?
    Unfortunately, I'm not surprised by the statements of his (and others) that I've quoted. :(
    That's what you and others counted on with the previous iterations of this legislation. And, even if it becomes law, it can still be challenged. IOW, "don't count your chickens before they're hatched".

12. KK5JY

Yes, just like PRB-1. The outcome wasn't pretty.

13. KC8VWM

Until you have numbers to disprove it, everything you say is conjecture.

14. KK5JY

So if we're both engaging in conjecture, that would mean that passing a bill, to "fix" a "problem" that is nothing more than guesswork, makes less sense than driving into fog at night. :eek:

upload_2018-5-20_23-21-15.png

15. KC8VWM

You are free to deny any problem exists down the fog covered road if you like. That's your choice to do.

My car is equipped with fog lights to see beyond what is immediately in front of me and into the future of amateur radio. I can see what these HOA antenna bans will do for a person's ability to install ham radio antennas at HOA's today, and down the road into the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.