ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. March 18, 2020.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Mar 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC9YGN

KC9YGN QRZ Lifetime Member #750 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hoarding is an almost instinctive reaction to being in a near panic situation that people have no real control over. They can't control anything else, but they can stock up on supplies, which gives them at least some sense of being in control of something.

F8WBD likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You should be better informed.

The vaccine 'works' for at least one 'strain' (that is mutation) of COVID-19. To prove 'effective' it needs to demonstrate that it 'works' on a variety of additional mutations. That is often, but not always, why you hear that a vaccine is '90% effective', or '20% effective', for example.

In addition, most vaccines need basline studies to show no production of vaccine related conditions. It is likely that waivers will be offered on that to speed up introduction to older populations.

3. KC9YGN

KC9YGN QRZ Lifetime Member #750 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No, it doesn't "work" no matter what you may have been hearing. It is only now starting to go through safety trials. It is a possible vaccine that appears to work in the laboratory What's going on now is more safety testing than anything else to determine if there are adverse side effects. This first stage of testing is only testing for side effects and preliminary indications that it might provide some immunity. It is not a full scale test of the vaccine and it is by no means an indication that it actually works. If there are no adverse side effects and if it seems to provide some immunity in the first test subjects it will then go into wider testing or, if the emergency is serious enough by that time, might even go into general distribution for people in high risk categories.

From the National Institute of Health:

"The study is evaluating different doses of the experimental vaccine for safety and its ability to induce an immune response in participants. This is the first of multiple steps in the clinical trial process for evaluating the potential benefit of the vaccine."

So as of right now, this is most definitely not a "working" vaccine.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    KA2FIR, AA1PR and KM6HBH like this.
  4. EA3IGB

EA3IGB Ham Member QRZ Page

A greeting from Spain. A country where one of the best health systems in the world is on the verge of collapse. NO MORE DEMAGOGY. If we do not eradicate this soon, it will not be possible to attend to those sick with accidents and other diseases as they deserve and the victims will be millions, and not only because of COVID-19.

5. K9WW

K9WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm on my way to Home Depot to stock up on plywood, bottled water and flashlight batteries. Oh, Wait, that's for hurricanes.

Sorry.

K9WW

6. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you haven't watched the movie Idiocracy , you need to. We have reached this point.

KM6HBH and KR3DX like this.
  7. W3KKO

W3KKO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think W1YW means the trial vaccine "already works" on 1 variant.
    I think he means the vaccine is "deemed to work" if it "works" for 1 variant, and is "deemed to be effective" if it works on more than 1 variant.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not 'side effects'. Those are easy to find;long term adverse effects will likely be waivered, AS I SAID.

R_E_A_D.

It's mutations.

EFFECTIVENESS MAPS TO MUTATIONS.

Go understand biiology. I told you the mutation issue. My info comes from a VP at a major pharma company. An MD. He spoke my language. I spoke his. They are gearing up for vaccine production.

It's not 'in a lab'. People have been vaccinated.

Watch the news, read your biology. Learn.

Don't play 'know it all'.

OK?

You should be grateful that I am providing this info.

If you are better informed than some pablum blurb from NIH, then share it.

Your response certainly says to me: 'Why am I wasting time on you guys?'

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Y-E-S.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Who neeeds to watch? We are living it...

KM6HBH and KR3DX like this.
  11. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Avocado leaves work ! but if you can not find a tree then news paper works if you do not mind a little ink on your back side ! anyway the news papers are so full of "C" anyway !!! Oh I just saw a lot of old QST's & CQs I could use ! well 73 ' & do not forget " A day with out laughter is a day wasted " - Charlie Chaplin ..

WA8LGM and W1YW like this.
  12. IK0TIX

IK0TIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting!
    Hence, the vaccine already exists. Strange, I read a few days ago that a wealthy and famous American was willing to pay the Germans a lot of dollars to get the vaccine for Americans only. This man is really strange. The vaccine is already in his home, apparently he is rich and famous but not powerful to know all about his house.

W0AEW likes this.
  13. IK0TIX

IK0TIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

obviously I apologize in advance, hoping I have not offended anyone but in my country we have reached 28710 infected and 2978 dead (in this moment that I write).
    It's probably just our problem.
    But, if the vaccine exists, what is the point of talking about the UN or WHO?
    Probably that rich and famous gentleman is right: we think each for himself. W Ham Spirit

KG7A/SK2022 likes this.
  14. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. Idiocracy was released in 2005, and it was certainly true then. Actually, I believe we reached that point a few decades ago. It all began in the late 1960s when doing drugs was made fashionable by the media. It's a somewhat vulgar movie, but it's necessary in order to reflect how vulgar society has become. I'm "Not Sure" if we can recover. :p:p:p

This message brought to you by Carl's Jr.

WA8LGM and KM6HBH like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

We don't know anything about this. The vaccine was created in Waltham and Cambridge MA about 6 weeks ago and is in its first clinical trials in Seattle. My understanding is that the vaccine quantities will be limited by PCR abilities in the various countries. Sorry I don't have more info on that:-(.

The Israelis also have a vaccine. Latest --info a couple of days old.

It is possible that the virus will mutate to more benign forms in the coming months, despite the onset of availability of a vaccine. IF and WHEN the dominant strains-- rarely-- lead to pneumonia then the epidemic effectively is over. OR we vaccinate by that time or before. Months, not days.

What's killing people --now-- is the lack of availability of respirators, and Ritonavir/Lopinavir in quantity. Pneumonia is the main method by which the virus kills.

We have been profoundly stupid in the US by letting the 'infected count' be determined by testing, which only recently became available and even easy to do. No one bothered to choose a random sample of people and test them, to calibrate against 'selection bias'. Essentially the counts we see on the media in the US are absurd underestimates. The only way to guess infection numbers is to do a spread sheet of number of dead and assume a percentage: 0.2, 0.5,1,2,etc %. That maps to the number of infected, roughly 2 weeks earlier.

:-( !
    Chip W1YW