ad: ProAudio-1

Yaesu has it wrong! FT-891 RX/TX Current Test

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Mar 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W6LDX

W6LDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First, your voltage reading is less than 13.80 volts which is what the test voltage should be at.
    Secondly, an accurate watt meter going into a good non-radiating load would be a good indicator of the power output as I don't know the accuracy of the steps in the menu. Most Yaesu radios that I have worked on have ball-park figures in all menu items and none that I have worked on are bang on.
    Third, It would be very helpful to see the receive current draw at 13.8 VDC when squelched, open squelch, back lights on and off and at different volume levels of received signals.
    That covers what I would like to see for a test.
    For operating IOTA or SOTA, it is always possible to take a unit and lower the power to conserve battery power. It is also a good practice to turn off the back lights; if operating during daylight you don't need them and at night a simple flashlight works well.
    The Yaesu FT-857Ds that I have used in the field draw .6 amps or less in receive. The 891 was showing over 1 amp, that is a deal breaker for me.
    Thank You for showing your tests and good luck with your future endeavors.
    W6LDX

2. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

There are simple LED desk lamps that provide ample light and will operate on penlight cells for hours if not days. Light is also needed for any logging, etc., so they can be seen as a necessity for camping and/or backpacking. They weigh very little, not much more than the batteries inside. Some are relatively small, others larger but with the flexibility of goose neck lamps, they can still find a niche in the pack.

3. N3RTD

N3RTD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for video, I bought one of these ft891's for my truck other than a few things as said already about shift and band width not being saved when switching bands and the band change being cumbersome while in a mobile setting, I really like the radio. Great receiver, great transmit audio, and now I can say great for portable use. I wasn't going to use mine that way so wasn't concerned about the amperage draw that Yaesu specified for it. Am glad to know though that it will work well in that setting also. Looking forward to your next video, thanks again and 73

4. K1YYI

K1YYI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Very portable actually I used mine a few times out hiking. I don't know where you get your power consumption numbers from, but my experience is that I can run this at 100W SSB at 18Amps draw.

5. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The figures determined by an engineer, long ago:

http://radioaficion.com/news/yaesu-ft-891-review/

rps20180321_063328_600.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  6. KE0EYJ

This kind of post is what needs to get users banned. It's complete fabrication.

Why do we put up with this, here?

N4FZ, K5WW and K1YYI like this.
  7. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first saw the post you referenced, I thought at first it was an attempt toward being somehow humorously sarcastic. ;)

8. KE0EYJ

Well, it's no longer in practice to draw and quarter someone.

9. K1YYI

K1YYI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It really is a lost art

KK5R likes this.
  10. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

K1YYI likes this.