Yaesu has it wrong! FT-891 RX/TX Current Test

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Mar 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3RSJ

N3RSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Aside from the video the radio still works well enough great video.TY
    Other best noticible on this radio it is without vhf & uhf no Rf failure on 70cm like ft 100D and 857 with swr warning and smd rf switching problems as newer radios are becoming too small inside to work on go figure with hf & 6m less issues. Still having a 891 will beat a 818 it is just better economically.

OH8STN likes this.
  2. WE7H

WE7H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Julian,

Thanks for the vid. I've been eyeballing this rig for a while now. The rubber don't meet the road in a brochure! If you have one of these rigs and it works for you, then that's that in my book. I wanted to grab that one the was for sale here a week or so ago for 400 something. Somebody beat me to it. Imagine that!

You may be right about the "worst case" scenario. In the vid you did show a bit of straight rx consumption but there wasn't a signal being received. That was running around an amp. I also noticed in the vid that the "spec" was 2A (signal present) which assumes the radio is doing some additional work and most likely generating some audio as well and the spec on the audio is 2.5 watts max which would add to the rig's receive mode work load. I can see a busy receiver chewing up a little more power than an idling receiver. Not sure it would be 2 amps worth, but must be considered. Maybe that's the "Max Audio" consumption rate.

Have you looked at it as an idle receiver versus signal present, generating audio (other than the noise floor)? Maybe even take that out to headset vs. speaker. That would be interesting to see as well.

Glad you're out there doing reality checks!

Thanks again Sir.

73, Stay Warm, Stove Lit, Have Fun!

Ed, WE7H

OH8STN and W3KKO like this.
  3. AE5GT

AE5GT Ham Member QRZ Page

For worst case receive it needs to be tested at 13.8V +15% AND 13.8 V -15% , full audio out with a signal present (full modulated SSB with the preamp on ) . Looking at the specs and assuming that you tested with zero audio ... my best guess is 1.7 - 1.8 A and then pad that with 10% due to component tolerances (yours may draw a little more or less) . I think you'll come out pretty close to 2 amps .

KB4QAA and WD4IGX like this.
  4. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

For those of us who remember lugging around a 35 lb. FT-101 + car battery and thinking that we were operating "portable", this is such a treat!! :).

WB4M, VA3OSO, NU4R and 5 others like this.
  5. KD9CJX

KD9CJX Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed the actual draw on HF was lower than advertised. Both on idle and full 100 watts key down. Glad it isn't just me

KD9CJX

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It meets my needs for a 100W portable...don't need UHF/VHF....now if they would only get that on the 817 platform.

A portable HF/VHF/UHF rig is like a Swiss Army knife....yeah it can do everything. I don't need need to drag everything on a back back trip!

KK5R and OH8STN like this.
  7. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Ed
    Excellent observation.
    I repeated the RX part of the test with strong signals present during measurement.
    In fact, it did make a difference, only not as much as I thought it would. Still, it was a valid point.
    There was 0-02A less amperage from headphone output jack on the head, than the enclosed speaker throughout volume range. I couldn't figure out how to visualize that in a video, so I've just included it here.
    I hope you don't mind being mentioned in the video Ed.
    For everyone else, apologies for double posting another vid. It was an excellent point.

Julian oh8stn

8. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for commenting.
    I also thought about the stable 13.8 volts source, but realized we never have it out in the field. It's always something between 14.4 and 11.8v. That's why I tested with the same LiFePO4 battery I use out in the field. I'm hoping one of the other Ham Radio YouTubers will make a followup video, using all these comments as a guide.
    FB on the audio out observation. I just posted a short followup test.

Julian oh8stn

9. PH5E

PH5E Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent test, I've updated the specs on RigReference.com

10. DG7ACF

DG7ACF Ham Member QRZ Page

Please note that the 891 is not a portable rig.
    Twice the power consumption of an 857D, no need to say more. :confused: