ad: k1jek

Yaesu FT 891 Install And First Contact

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Feb 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N8DAH

N8DAH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just picked one up and have a chirp in the speaker (very faint) when doing digital with a SCU-17. Any tips on software? settings? Using DXlabs Commander at this time. Had a look at the wiring schem and seems the cable is not "true" its different on both ends....if that is true need to have a word with HRO......

Love this front end out right blows my mind what they can do with DSP now still love my nescaf filter as well. Once I can get digital going smoothly I will pretty much take this rig with me anywhere.

David

2. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thinking about picking up an 891, but cannot find much information about an external tuner. So far, the main downside to this radio (if you ignore lack of VHF/UHF, just buy a Baofeng) is the massive tuner, which is the same size as the radio. There goes portability.

The Yaesu FC-50 made for it is prohibitively overpriced, and it is a noisy chunk which clicks and whirs constantly (yes, I know it is re-tuning, but still).

It seems there MIGHT be an LDG tuner for a Yaesu FT-891, but all I see on their site is this info aboht it married to one of their generic tuners. Anyone have any reports of which model they bought, and how it operates with this radio?:

http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/252/products/19/24/1

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  3. KF5VGK

KF5VGK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll be connecting a LDG Z100 Plus to my FT-891 this week and using an end fed antenna. I'll let you know how things turn out.

KE0EYJ likes this.
  4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I ordered an 891 today. I have an mfj manual tuner to use, for now.

5. W8TJM

W8TJM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bit of an old thread here, but I just ordered the FT-891 and an LDG AT200 Pro antenna tuner. Will be interesting to see how this goes as my most recent rig was an FT-101E. Hoping I get it in time to work 6M up in the mountains during the VHF Contest coming up on 15 July.

6. N0TNG

N0TNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Were you able to mitigate the band noise with the 891 as well as the SDR rigs?

7. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know how to do it at least with my Flex-6300 and SmartSDR software playing with kind of RF Gain (not even Noise Reduction)
    Recently I used FT-891 on Reunion Island where the noise level was very low on 20 and 15m. I could copy ZL1 station with 51 or 50 report because s-meter did not move and still got every word clearly on earphones - that was a real pleasure.

In my home QTH in France the noise is often S8 to S9 on 40 and 80m and S5 on 20m, but DSP of FT-891 is doing pretty good job.
    So for time being I am quite happy with the rig especially for this price category.
    It looks like on transmit side it's not brilliant with excessive phase noise according to the QST review but never had any complaints. Received audio quality reports are good to very good (with standard mic MH-31 after tweaking equalizer settings)

73, Thomas

KE0EYJ likes this.
  8. N0TNG

N0TNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your reply. It's good to hear that the DSP is doing a reasonable job in mitigating the noise, since I live in the city and usually have similar noise levels.

Phil

9. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use my FT891 with the LDG AT100 Pro II and the red ended phone jack cable. Pushing the tune button on the tuner puts the 891 into reduced power CW and executes a tune cycle, returning the rig to whatever mode it was in before the tune cycle when tuning is complete. You can further reduce the power used for the tune cycle by going into the FT891 menus and setting the parameter "HF Power". I use 5 watts and it works fine. NOTE: This is a different parameter than SSB or AM, or FM power parameters in the menu and does not affect those modes. I am very happy with the performance of this tuner. I am using and end fed wire through a Palomar Eng 4:1 Unun and it will tune on 160m - 6m and the antenna works well. Probably in large part because my feedline is about 10' long total. I also have a KW TS590SG and I mush prefer the FT891 for CW work because of the rapidity with which you can isolate and enhance a weak CW signal with the 891's DSP versus the time it takes to dial in the Kenwood. The Audio Peaking Filter on the FT891 is the icing on the cake to really bring in a CW signal. It's a great little rig, especially for the price IMHO.

10. SV1RXI

SV1RXI Ham Member QRZ Page

it seems all the videos how to connect the 891 with the z-100plus are erased ,is anyone have other source anywhere?i connect the interface cable from ldg to the pack panel of the 891 to REM/ALC JACK ,the menu of the 891 to LAMP and when i press the TNR from 891 nothing happens only hear a sound bip

11. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to push the tune button on the Tuner!

I just made the cable to the Z-100Plus myself and it works as it should.

SV1RXI and KF5VGK like this.
  12. AB3LI

AB3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

FT 891 TNR NOT ENGAGE WHEN PRESS ,SAME ISSUE HERE, I USE Z-100PLUS LGD TUNNER.ANY BODY KNOWS WHY OR HOW TO FIX IT.

13. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

What menu settings did you do for the LDG tuner?

14. AB3LI

I use lamp but the tunner should engage ones you press tnr.

15. AB3LI

just hope that trew a firmware this can be resolve tnr should work with all ant tunners.