ad: MLSons-1

Yaesu FT-818 -- The FT-817ND Replacement Available Soon

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Feb 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KI7KVI

KI7KVI Ham Member QRZ Page

This radio in the above link would be something toget excited about butit i s hard to see why the two major retailers would show somethingelse

2. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

What a joke

3. VE2ZQ

VE2ZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats an easy photoshop montage.

EB1BSV likes this.
  4. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How about an FT-858 ?

AB0RE likes this.
  5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like Yaesu is keeping a very popular QRP rig available, not sure why folks are upset. If they discontinued it, folks would be upset... The name change seems silly if it's basically the same rig with (probably) newer parts that are more available.

There is no obvious reason to upgrade if you already own one, but people will. :p

EB1BSV likes this.
  6. N6ALT

N6ALT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, yet there are three 817's for sale on the first two pages of QRZ Swap this morning, somebody is drinking the cool-aid. I think this might be the time to pick up a cheap 817, no wait, they will all want full price for their used 5+ year old radios:-(

Joel
    N6ALT

EB1BSV and K8KET like this.
  7. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just seems sort of strange that the FT-818 is not on the Yaesu website yet.

I started reading rumors about a new version a while back, all of which were exactly that, rumors. I’ve often thought if a new version came out would I sell my FT-817ND and buy the new version. Being that I’ve already installed the Collins SSB filter and the oscillator upgrade and use a Bioenno battery, I’m good.

N6MEJ likes this.
  8. W0TRS

W0TRS Ham Member QRZ Page

I love my 817nd and would love an upgrade to it..Just to bad Yaesu didnt upgrade it..I see no reason to buy a new one if this is all we get for upgrading.I have had the TCXO in mine forever a 1 watt boost is not a big deal and I never used the battery anyway..Yet another big fail by Yaesu

9. KF5PAL

KF5PAL Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a typo, it should read

"Introducing the not really new, marginally improved Yaesu FT-817NDv1.1"

10. AA6RE

AA6RE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I think you are 100% correct. It addresses their sourcing issues but doesn't add anything to the overall product line.

11. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow FAIL!!!!!

VK3BL likes this.
  12. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

13. NR1D

NR1D Ham Member QRZ Page

Having owned one and enjoyed using it, this would be a concerted effort to sell the remaining FT817ND inventory in a frenzy buy. Followed by an April fools joke of new radio introduction. Just my two cents.

14. WB9QVR

WB9QVR Ham Member QRZ Page

For those who think that the FT-818 is somehow an April Fool's joke - it is listed as an available item on three different dealer websites (Gigaparts, Ham Radio Outlet and R and L). Other dealers may also have it listed for sale. I'm fairly sure that no dealer would create a listing for a new product unless they've received a definite announcement of its availability from the manufacturer.

Also, for those who have seen the recent alleged 'photo' of the FT-818 showing a redesigned panel - that photo is a very poor Photoshopped image with portions taken from several current (and easily identifiable) rigs. There is also a photo of a theoretical FT-818 from several years ago which was nothing more than an image of an FT-817 with the display from an Icom IC-7000 grafted onto it. These photos are clearly not real and I am mystified as to why people keep posting (or linking to) them. Based on the information provided by dealers, it's clear that the '818 offers nothing new that would change its appearance from the '817. I think it's a good bet that the only external indication of the difference between these two rigs will be the model number on the top panel.

To me the most disappointing thing about this announcement is that it would seem to indicate that a real replacement for the FT-817ND won't be forthcoming anytime soon. If there were something of that nature on the horizon, I'm sure Yaesu wouldn't have bothered to release an interim upgrade to the '817. Although many of us would like to see a truly new rig with more modern features and technology, the 817/818 seems to be the victim of its continued success. As long as it continues to sell well (which seems to be the case) there is little impetus for Yaesu to replace it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    K8KET, WD4IGX, VK3BL and 1 other person like this.
  15. VE3TCV

VE3TCV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If it was 7W I would jump all over it! :cool:

This must be a joke... I installed a TCXO in my FT-817 for $20(Ebay) and installed the Windcamp Li-Ion battery pack that packs 3000mAH for $80.

If this is indeed not a joke I think Yaesu is beginning to lose it completely on the HF side of things.

VK3BL likes this.