Yaesu Announces FT-70DR 5W Dual-Band C4FM HT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Mar 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What dual band fusion mobile is $150? Cheapest I've seen is around $300.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

KG5EXW likes this.
  2. AK4PY

AK4PY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm... not seeing a WiRES-X button and haven't been able to find any mention of WiRES-X control support. I'm thinking (and hope that I am wrong) that this is another release by Yaesu stripping out WiRES-X controls. That is unfortunate, because it rules out an affordable radio as being one that I would recommend to other hams in my area. Can anyone confirm or debunk that this radio is not capable of controlling a digital WiRES-X node?

3. KG5CJA

KG5CJA Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a very fair statement. If one is wanting a cheaper digital dual band HT, from a reputable company, this seems like a good one to go with.

KF5VGK likes this.
  4. KE0IMD

KE0IMD Ham Member QRZ Page

He's likely referring to the FTM-3200DR 2-meter rig that's been selling like hotcakes since December of last year. It's a fun little radio, but I think this HT could be just as fun. Yaesu has done a stellar job cutting corners to bring the costs down while still preserving a reliable and quality radio.

I paid $160 for my FTM-3200DR. For $40 more, I could have less power, but with C4FM UHF capability... in my pocket. Sold.

KF5VGK likes this.
  5. N8FM

N8FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu needs to fix the desense problem in the FTM-400DR/XDR before I'll entertain the notion of buying any more of their products.

6. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess part of my confusion is the fact that UHF is useless where I am located. 2m rules the roost and I can remember the last time I even went into the UHF side of my HT. Most UHF repeaters in the area are co-located with a vhf counterpart which gets most traffic. In general VHF/UHF here is dead.

I get people in other places are using DV but around here no-one has invested in that tech either. An analog 2m mobile what we all run and it gets the job done for us. I'm sure if I lived somewhere else I'd have a different perspective.

It's just puzzling to me why Yaesu has invested so much time in DV when their HF line is aging horribly and failing to keep up with trends. Their high end rigs are nice, their entry rig (450) is on par for that level, but between?

No response to the SDR trend, no response to the new wave of portable rigs (how old is the 817 design???). Nothing stellar in the midrange. Again, my perspective is warped but ICOM seems to do digital just as well, and their HF stuff is selling like hotcakes.

I want to see Yaesu and Kenwood succeed, as competition keeps tech improving and keeps prices down...

7. W8FLH

W8FLH Ham Member QRZ Page

My first right was an FT-11R. It was over $300 new and only 2m. Haha

8. AE7RZ

AE7RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What does this have to do with the FT-70DR?

9. KK6WPX

KK6WPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this have the Yaesu ARTS?

10. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

$200 for the early adopters. I'm guessing it won't be priced much differently than the FT-60 is now, maybe $159 or $169? Great release.