ad: CQMM-1

Windom 40 Antenna By Chameleon Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Feb 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

This is NOT a permanent install. It is temporary for the filming of this video. I live in a very restrictive HAO, therefore, no permanent antenna installations. And by the way.... Yes, I do use a hard hat for work.

KK5R likes this.
  2. KD7DFV

KD7DFV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey - all of you negative guys here DO REALIZE this is a temporary, (put it up, use it & then take it down), antenna - right!?? Look at what he's done - not what you would do different <sic>(better). I don't see any of the calls here listed in this thread, as putting out anything that shows ingenuity, engineering prowess, designs to solve problems or anything else that furthers the hobby or supports your fellow ham. Ideas are infectious! I bet that several people have looked at what he's done and when they said to themselves "hey - I can do better or I would do it differently", they ACTUALLY DID!
    Craig - on a more personal note...don't try to defend yourself or what you do. At least you do! I appreciate the time, effort & commitment to the hobby that it takes to produce something like this. Others need to remember what their mommas told them long ago; if you can't just look at it and appreciate it for what it is, then sit down & shut up!

KI6TRA, K5JEF and WJ6F like this.
  3. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Around where I live CPVC is not all too common......

KK5R likes this.
  4. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used ordinary PVC for dipole coils, baluns/ununs, etc. I usually give them a coat of black paint to block the UV rays. Once I only had some dark purple paint and used it. This keeps the PVC useful — I have not noticed any deterioration. However, this implies that you use what you have at hand and not always wait for the UPS/Fedex delivery unless you have plenty of time on your hands.

With me, a good project usually has to be done at once lest it is replaced with something newer. I keep finding a bag full of parts that were intended to be the heart of some interesting project (with the schematic, etc., inside the bag) but by the time I find them, my interests have changed or have been updated to some "new" project.

Just waiting for the perfect parts can be a turn-off to a good idea or project. For example, I have used ordinary plastic rope in the past for antenna hanging and not the paracord we see now available while knowing I'd have to replace it in 1-2 years but since I'm using pulleys for hanging wire antennas, replacement only takes a few hours. This is better than wishing for better/best material if getting the thing up in the air and functioning is the main idea.