ad: ProAudio-1

Why the ARRL Matters: Bob Inderbitzen NQ1R

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Dec 19, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N5KX

N5KX Ham Member QRZ Page

Insomnia, neck and back pain, difficulty concentrating, trouble reading, blurry vision, head aches, eye fatigue, dry eyes, light sensitivity (listed in no particular order) all arising from society’s increased screen time. Shouldn’t this be part of the discussion, here ?

2. K2ENF

K2ENF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Couple of thoughts on this threat.

First, as regards print copies of qst, I point out to you that there's been a good deal of discussion in these threads as regards CQ magazine being on hold because of financial constraints.

Does anybody watching the CQ magazine saga seriously believe that Newington isn't suffering that with the same problems CQ is?

I see popular science for example has essentially folded because it can't keep up with the expenses any longer.

A print magazine is an expensive proposition from the word go. Those expenses cut into other programs, programs that can better serve the amateur radio community.

Most magazines are in the business solely of selling magazines. For good or ill that's not the case for the ARRL. The other publications that are going bye-bye don't have the choice of what hill to die on it's the only Hill they have.

So, is qst to be the hill that the league dies on? In that context of their decision becomes much more understandable and frankly, supportable.

All that said, here is where I become more critical of the league.

More than one respondent to this thread as remarked on the idea of the league representing its members. That's all well and good, but who represents the majority of amateurs here in the states who are not League members?

I have said it before, I will say it again. If you want to bring new membership in make sure the people that you want to bring in are also on the list of people that you actually represent. Convince those people that they're interests are being heard and represented. In other words, show them some value for the money that you're asking them to invest. That means the league spending time on larger issues than whether or not the life membership is still getting its qst every month in the mail.

KF5KWO likes this.
  3. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

No.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You know something I don't? No booze here-)
    Kefir--that's the ticket.

HNY and support the ARRL in 2024:) Hope that's sobering:)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    W7DGJ and W2AI like this.
  5. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree 100%.

The right thing to do would have been to inaugurate the membership increase and surcharge on the printed magazine for new and renewing subscriptions after an announced date; not removing a benefit already paid for (after first checking with counsel that we can get away with stiffing members out of an expected benefit and assuring ourselves they have no legal recourse).

I'm a longtime life member; not my ox being gored (yet), but I can understand others' fury.

This is going to cost them far, far more than they will save.

NL7W, WA3VJB, W2AI and 1 other person like this.
  6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

American business practices put short term issues like paying payroll ahead of long term gains. Lots of businesses go out of business because they simply run out of cash.

When doing a major transition it is better to do it while you still have cash flow than waiting until it is too late.

The needs of older long term members and the new members they wish to attract are clearly different. One can also predict that the expected revenue from each in the future is also clearly different.
    There are lots of reasons older members drop out of the hobby that the ARRL simply can't fix.

NL7W likes this.
  7. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hey Chip, I am a tee-toller myself. Alcohol and drugs don't solve problems but creates many more. Yes, I am an ARRL member and can easily afford the dues increase. I like perusing QST and the many ARRL publications I have purchased. More so; I will renew membership in the League when it expires in 2025. You are very passionate about the ARRL and their overall functions but as with any other organization--the league is froth with difficulties, shortcomings and involvements. I view amateur radio as a form of entertainment: if it exists, that's fine--if not-- that's fine too.IMHO, one day in the distant future: this niche hobby of ours will cease to exist. Life is all about doing things while you can AND when you can.

W5ESE, N8TGQ and W1YW like this.
  8. W2AI

I understand their fury as well. Particularly when it comes down to seniors with a limited income. You know over 60% of the adult population literally lives "paycheck to Paycheck".

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, not exactly.

Everyone forecasts. Of course that's like pulling teeth out of a piranha sometimes, when the customers (some of them) are clueless.

ARRL is somewhat different from many enterprises because it gets its money upfront (from memberships) rather than on terms.

What's happening big time these days is customers are stiffing on payments, or delaying beyond reason. That creates the biggest cash flow issues in 2023/24 for many companies. Not short term income per se;-)

HNY Zac!

Chip W1YW

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope.

I am not passionate about anything --that is better served by fact and reason:)

I am concerned that **some** folks are taking a strange pleasure in trying to take the ARRL out of existence, and trying to use targetting of individuals as a tool for same. That's what some of the comments on the Zed, in the last year or so, look like to me. Your opinion may differ.

Not referring to disgreements nor critiques. I mean down in the wool destructive intent. It's there by some, IMO.

Chip W1YW

KQ1V likes this.
  11. W2AI

"fact and reason" is determined by the beholder as he/she subjectively interprets it. That is human nature.
    WHY is that?? Why do you care what others post on this forum?? Do they pay your bills?? Nope, I didn't think so. Remember amateur radio is a hobby and NOT a way of life as some might portray it to be. Just look at this forum as a source of comical entertainment and an insight into the human psyche.

NL7W likes this.
  12. W2AI

I agree with your assessment. The dues hike was poorly planned and ill-conceived. My recommendation in the ARRL membership on-line survey was to keep the current dues rate intact for those who opt for a digital subscription but raise the dues for those wanting a hardcopy of QST magazine mailed to them. Out of some odd 160000 ARRL members; only 12000 bothered to complete the survey. Generally speaking, apathy equates to disinterest.

NL7W and WA3VJB like this.
  13. W2AI

In today's society; you'll pay more and get less.

KB2SMS, NL7W and K2ENF like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do I care?

Well, read my bio.

Chip W1YW

15. AI6XK

AI6XK Ham Member QRZ Page

call it what you want, but I will NOT become a member again, until they bring back the Senior Discount!