ad: Mountaingoat-1

Why the ARRL Matters: Bob Inderbitzen NQ1R

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Dec 19, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_068_NQ1R_Thumbnail02.jpg
    Bob Inderbitzen, NQ1R, serves as the Director of Marketing and Innovation at the ARRL - The National Association for Amateur Radio. Bob has been a valuable member of the ARRL team since 1991, accumulating three decades of experience at the Newington headquarters. His extensive background uniquely qualifies him to provide insights into the organization's past and future trajectory. Bob is credited with developing the Five Pillars of the ARRL, which encompass Public Service, Advocacy, Education, Technology, and Membership. His unwavering commitment to the membership's best interests is evident. When addressing current questions and controversies regarding necessary changes at the ARRL, Bob consistently emphasizes the organization's effective promotion and protection of the amateur radio hobby.

YD1DLM, VU2USA, N0TZU and 4 others like this.
  2. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess he wasn't consulted on the QST decision.

N7KO, WJ1MK, KO4NF and 12 others like this.
  3. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very informative piece, thank you for posting! I don’t mind reading QST and the other pubs online, I think it’s fine, and I agree with what he says that we didn’t sign a contract but joined an organization whose benefits change. Some hold the opposite view; I’m a not a lawyer, so whatever. I’d love to see the numbers for subscriptions to their various newsletters, views of QST, OTA, et al. Publish them monthly!

The one thing I take issue with — and it’s nothing to do with his information or your interview — is the fact that he’s been at Newington for 30 years. I can’t help but think that this could be a problem — not for him, but for the ARRL in general. The howls will come about “30 years in an ivory tower, they’re out of touch with us regular hams,” etc. I’m not a howler, but still. Given everything we read here on the Zed from many sources (some dubious, some not) about the goings-on or “shenanigans” at ARRL HQ, it’s very easy to see how being entrenched in one place for 30 years can negatively affect one’s perception of that place. The proverbial “self-licking ice cream cone” perhaps?

But overall this a very informative interview, thanks again. And yeah — very expensive to send people to and put them up in Dubai!

WI5TX, HB9EPC, W7USD and 1 other person like this.
  4. N9WFT

N9WFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Over all I found this interview very nice. In my humble opinion, this is a four star video.

I found NQ1R, a super nice individual, very knowledgeable, entertaining, informative, and just plain easy to listen to.

I will tell you that he is an outstanding Public Relations individual.

Even though over all I really enjoyed this video, I honestly felt that he was indoctrinating those that watch the video. I understand as a Marketing/ PR individual, it is his job to promote/ sell a product. In this case The American Radio Relay League. In my opinion, as a matter of politically correctness, they do not even call it that any more.. To be “ more inclusive “ it is The National Association for Amateur Radio.

Just my opinion on this well done interview/ video. Some will agree with my comments, and some will not. And that is ok.

Here is to keeping Social Media social :)

Thank You W1DED for this well done video

N3AWS, W2BK, N2RJ and 3 others like this.
  5. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

NEWS?

Bob Inderbitzen, NQ1R, serves as the Director of Marketing and Innovation at the ARRL - One of Several National Associations for Amateur Radio.

K1OIK, N0TTI, KJ7OES and 5 others like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL matters because --WE-- matter.

The ARRL is the US's National Association of Amateur Radio.

Lately, that message has been obscured by a small number of individuals bent on equating mission with perceived , and presumably alleged, failures in leadership, IMO.

The ARRL is its members. It is an association that advocates for the advancement and enhamcement of privileges of Part 97 licencees. Yep, we have fun with those privileges and expect the ARRL to act on Part 97 licensees' behalf. Which it does.

THAT is what Bob's interview is about.

The unfortunate thing is that Bob has to go on camera to remind us all of the obvious mission and execution of mission by the ARRL. I am glad he did-- but wonder about OUR failings in apparently needing him , or anyone else at the ARRL, to do so.

Think about it. MO.

Chip W1YW

N3AWS, VE6SH, N0TZU and 4 others like this.
  7. KI7YDM

KI7YDM Ham Member QRZ Page

I love how a paid representative of the ARRL had to make a video of why the ARRL matters. This is akin to a child in a sand box stomping his feet and saying: "This is why I'm important!" I'd value this more if it had come from an unbiased source who wasn't paid for their time and opinion. And until the League can start showing that the money they receive is going to positive advocacy once again, their opinion doesn't matter to me.

W2GPR, WR4Y, KN6TTG and 30 others like this.
  8. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a howler

AD4ZU, YD1DLM, N2DDX and 4 others like this.
  9. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL isnt fully to compare with the german DARC, but partly. And here they think that they are much important, because they were, before the german reunification happend. After that the laws became more liberal and free, what isnt in their taste.

Thats why I am here at QRZ and happy about the modern digital HAM-Radio solutions to get easily away. And for me is a membership with them, to be become a Borg like in Star Trek. Maybe a bit overdriven, but the german voice of HAM-Radio is them in their mind. And its one voice who is talking and is a opinion-maker for members. To that members become after a longer period the same vocabulary.

I never chose them and I did my things always alone in HAM-Radio. It starts for preparing for the exam up to the rest. And all this is the reason where I have to say, that when the modern ways arent possible anymore, its time to quit the hobby asap. And this statement comes deeply from my heart.

WR4Y, W9JAB, AD4ZU and 3 others like this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks as if "a small number of individuals" is large enough to cause Mr. Inderbitzen to make an appearance here on the Zed.

Yes, "The ARRL is its members." and that includes the "a small number of individuals" whose opinion counts the same as any other dues paying member.

WR4Y, W9JAB, WA2PAY and 5 others like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just an excitable boy....

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I see that post #6 has to be more explicit, so here it is:

Bob is stating that ARRL matters because he is tasked, along with others, in representing US before the public, and the FCC. 'The ARRL brings value to its members. Just reminding you...'

The ARRL is reminding us of this NOW, because there is a wealth of disinformation, highly propagated, emphasizing unsavory cynosure on INDIVIDUALS rather than the ARRL MISSION.

Bob is an important player on our behalf.

People at ARRL come and go. But the mission stays true. Bob is reminding you (as I say for the third time:) that ARRL is executing mission.

Thanks Bob:)

Chip W1YW

AA1UE, N0TZU, KQ1V and 1 other person like this.
  13. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing that lawyers, guns and money can't fix ;)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    W0ML, W9JAB, AD4ZU and 7 others like this.
  14. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

Let's not go there, please.

73 Tom W9YW

W3AMT and YD1DLM like this.
  15. KI4KEA

KI4KEA Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL is a great organization and does a lot of work for us behind the scenes. Without them I’m not sure we would have the spectrum we have to play with.

Over all, I thought this was a good interview. As a PR guy his mission is to sell the organization and he does very well with it. He did a great job explaining some of the issues facing all publishers and organization.

But I do think the ARRL is in need of an organizational cup of coffee. As he said an organization that is 109 years old is hard to move.

Just take a look at the online store for the ARRL. There have been almost no new products for us to enjoy for many years. Lately there’s been some change in that area.

Just like they have been slow to adopt to the idea of online education. That is starting to change as well. They have a lot more online than they once did but even then there could be more.

Personally, I really didn’t like the idea of losing QST delivery. But the trade off is fine with me. I can read it online. The trade being they also let us read the other material online. I think it's something the periodical industry is changing to.

ARRL is not perfect. No organization I am aware of is perfect. I just hope they continue to try to make themselves relevant and focused on the members needs and wants.

Life Member ARRL and SPJ.

YD1DLM and N0TZU like this.