Who wants to be a moderator here?

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by AA7BQ, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

What I was trying to say is that when there is a clear case of something untrue being posted, the moderator may need to remove it - and to do that requires some knowledge of the subject.

This does NOT mean the moderator has to be an expert, nor that the moderator has to correct every little mistake. It also doesn't go into matters of opinion. I'm talking about where someone posts something that is clearly and provably untrue, intentionally or not, and it goes uncorrected.

Example: There is a persistent myth about why hams use USB on 20 and higher bands, and LSB on 40 and lower bands (except 60 meters). The myth cites the use of a 9 MHz SSB generator and 5 MHz VFO to cover 75 and 20, and claims that the scheme automatically inverts the sideband on one band but not the other. The myth resurfaces every so often and has even made the pages of QST.

But it's not true, because it cannot be true. Sideband inversion by frequency conversion doesn't work that way. (I can show the math if anyone is interested). It's a myth, a mistake, a flat-out lie, but it survives because people repeat it and nobody points out the facts.

Anyone who understands the heterodyne frequency conversion process realizes the myth is false. So when they hear hams repeating it, we look like technical idiots. So it should be corrected whenever possible.

It's not an opinion thing nor an interpretation thing - it's black-and-white true/not true. IMHO, a moderator should have the power and know how to correct at least some errors like that.

There ARE situations where the facts are objectively clear. Everything is NOT just someone's opinion. Any real engineer knows this.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  2. N2EY

I didn't just make the comment. I started a thread and demonstrated it. I showed how ANY subject could become "political" in just one post.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/a-political-challenge.530745/

Give me a subject (post it in that thread) - ANY subject - and I'll turn it into a political discussion in just one post.

Here's one: the IC-7300. I can make that political easy as pie.

I did it in one post on subjects that are much less controversial than ACA.

All true -but sometimes, the best help is to realize that there is no workable solution.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The moderators magic button.

upload_2016-8-3_7-27-27.png

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

A moderator has no business judging if a statement is true or not, especially in a political forum.
    The moderator does not work for the Ministry of Truth, the moderator's primary job is to maintain order, not decide the facts of a discussion.

KC9UDX, WC5P, K4TTJ and 1 other person like this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Still nope. He is free to post a response indicating the error. He has no business deleting the post.

KJ4VTH, KC9UDX, K4TTJ and 1 other person like this.
  6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Monkeys in a cage... I like that analogy. Fits perfectly.

Problem is, as displayed here, is that anyone who volunteers for the job is probably unfit for the position. The old "catch 22" problem.

It's a job that requires time and the ability to be totally impartial, things that a lot of us do not have.

Good luck Fred, you're going to need it. My own opinion is that the discussion of politics should not be allowed here, period. Way too many bad monkeys in this particular cage.

Throw them all back in the jungle!

7. N2EY

Well, I disagree, but let's put that aside. Let's say the policy is to correct rather than to delete.

By correcting the post, the moderator is going beyond simply "maintaining order", whatever that means in the forum, and deciding upon the truth or falsity of statements. That's a valid function of moderation IMHO, when the truth or falsity is clear and unambiguous.

Even in a political forum. There have been quotes posted here which were attributed to both candidates - yet both are 100% myths. Complete falsehoods. Neither one said anything close to the quote. And they were posted seriously, not as humor. To let such things go unchallenged and uncorrected is just wrong. Same for things like doctored pictures. Would you have lies left as the truth when they can be objectively shown to be lies?

8. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

Moderators do have business removing certain posts ( such as obscene imagery ) .... but not for something as minor as content error.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The moderator needs to no nothing about the subject to see name calling and ham slamming.

10. W9AMM

W9AMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As a moderator of a political forum, you shouldn't be able to participate in the discussion or share your own views, but to be an objective, impartial voice. Umps and referees do not play the game, they enforce the rules.

If you have a lot of things to say, then you should be part of the panel, and not the moderator. In a political forum, you have every right to have an opinion. But if you put it out there, you are essentially taking sides. In the moderator role of a political forum, your personal opinions and feelings should remain unspoken.

KC9UDX and K1FBI like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.