ad: Mountaingoat-1

W9ZN William F. Crane SK October 26, 2023

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W4QLF, Oct 27, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W4QLF

W4QLF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hate to report that a radio legend has passed. Here is a great tribute WGN-TV did for Bill.

73, Bob
    W4QLF

K8PG, N4FZ, KA2MWS and 4 others like this.
  2. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh my... this is sad. "Butterball" Bill was a fixture on the CW bands and always a pleasure to work. One of the best CW ops I ever heard.

I did note that I had not heard him in a fair amount of time and hoped he wasn't ill or worse.

I used to love listening to his 'warm up' exercises, playing his 'marching music' to draw attention.

A legend. Gone but not forgotten. RIP Bill!

:(:(:(

K8PG, N4FZ and W5ESE like this.
  3. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

What sad news.

I worked Bill many times through the years, and was always impressed with his excellent Morse and, throughout the past 18 years that I've lived in southern IL, his (most often -- regardless of band conditions) tremendous signals on both 40m and 30m.

You will be greatly missed, OM. RIP

On edit: Thank you, Bob, for including the moving tribute to Bill from the staff at WGN-TV.

N4FZ, W5ESE and WR2E like this.
  4. K4EJQ

K4EJQ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I also worked Bill many times throughout the years. I frequently heard him on 30 meters. As a matter of fact, I heard him just several weeks ago and was thinking what a great and dedicated CW operator he was. When there weren't many signals on the band he was one of the few that I would hear. RIP, Bill.

W5ESE, WR2E and W9FT like this.
  6. KI5CAW

KI5CAW Ham Member QRZ Page

One of my first CW rag chews after getting re-licensed in 2017. RIP!

WR2E likes this.
  7. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

N4FZ likes this.
  8. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the pleasure of working him a number of times on cw....a great cw op and nice guy...Im sad to hear of his passing.
    RIP Bill....thanks for the nice chats that we had.

WR2E likes this.
  9. W4WEL

W4WEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Heartbroken to hear Bill passed, what a wonderful man and operator. He was always encouraging and so modest. I am very sad to hear he is gone. Rest in Peace Bill. W4WEL

W5ESE and WR2E like this.
  10. KB6NU

KB6NU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am also very sad to hear this news. He always had a great signal here, and I enjoyed many ragchews with him.

W5ESE and KB9GHN like this.
  11. W1EOF

W1EOF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh my... What a loss to ham radio.
    I worked Bill many times over the years. I recently started getting my station together after a multi-year respite due to a move. Thinking about getting back on the air I was immediately reminded of Bill, looking forward to another pleasurable QSO.
    Well, no longer.
    Bill had a wonderful signal on 40m, often one of the clearest at night here in R. I. He also had a great fist, consistently sending perfect CW.
    Finally, most importantly, Bill was always a gentleman.

RIP kind OM 73.

Mark W1EOF

W5ESE and K8PG like this.
  12. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well Damn ! - I've heard & worked Bill many times over the last 62 years & the airways, somehow, just won't be the same. :(

I loved hearing him go into his "Ben's Best Bent Wire..." warm-up spiel on CW.

I gotta hear it just one more time:

"Fair Winds & Following Seas" Shipmate & Fellow Broadcaster - You've finally embarked on your 'Twilight Cruise' & signed W9ZN SK CL dit dit
    We'll miss you...

Steve / W5BIB

K8PG, N4FZ and WR2E like this.
  13. W3BKR

W3BKR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just thinking the other day I had not heard Bill on 30 meters.
    We worked each other dozens of times, I would always ask
    how the "windy city" was doing and was he still holding
    WGN together.
    "Only one life , will soon be past
    Only what's done for Christ shall last."
    Rev. Fred Thomson, W3BKR

N4FZ and WR2E like this.
  14. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So sad to read this.

Bill was a great guy and a skilled CW op. Worked him on 40 and heard him many times.

73 es RIP Bill de Jim, N2EY

N4FZ likes this.
  15. K9CM

K9CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Tragic. I worked Bill many times, both QRQ and QRS using straight keys.

A fine gentleman, great ham and the best CW fist I have ever heard. He will be missed. I will be thinking of him on SKN this year…

K8PG, N4FZ, KA2MWS and 1 other person like this.