ad: w5yi

UV-5RX3 Tri-Band Radio Review and Programming

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Aug 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking to get a tri-band radio that won't put you in the poor house? The Baofeng UV-5RX3 Radioddity might be just the radio. I found using CHIRP to be the easiest way to program this radio, even though Radioddity does have their own software for the radio that you can download from their website. To me CHIRP is a more comprehensive program.

N7BWB, M1WML, KC8LUB and 3 others like this.
  2. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a UV-5x3, similar to that. It's a Baofeng. It transmits. It receives. It's tiny. It costs less than a single band 222 MHz radio.

And that's about all I can say for it.

KG7IRJ, M1WML, WJ6F and 2 others like this.
  3. KI5KT

KI5KT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one as well. I bought a tri-band antenna so I wouldn't have to swap out the 2/440 for the 220. Like all Baofengs, it simply works, and it's dirt cheap. Buy two in case one gets rained on.

M1WML and WJ6F like this.
  4. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you won't be disappointed, how uncompliant this Chinese radio is as well:

Not on all bands, though.

Even hams do not generally look inside the box before saying that a radio is "good" or "bad", most of these equipments are just illegal anywhere. It is a pity that it is so hard to defend the traditional ham manufacturers, too, since they also had, have, and will have nasty moves.

M1WML likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of these radios have the hardware to work TX/RX Out Of Band.

The programming software that has the "Ham Band" limits is what keeps them somewhat compliant.

If you use the original factory programming software, You can make them do anything. Understanding the language is the only barrier.

Most of these radios have the firmware in ROM, Write once, So no changing the original firmware. It is locked to the hardware that that radio version has. Each run is different.

Why is a 15 - 30 minute YouTube needed to give you 1 min or less of useful information ? That kills my Dialup data limit. :eek:

Have Fun Everyone. ;)

KF5RRF, K0DUC, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  6. KC0EOC

KC0EOC Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML and HA3FLT like this.
  7. KC0EOC

KC0EOC Ham Member QRZ Page

I liked video. I have UV-5x3 Baofeng BTECH also. Receive ok transmit audio way to low. It does work but you have to almost yell into mic hole. Mostly use for testing. Price was good for what you get. Yes, none compliant so not going to purchase any more. 73 kc0eoc

M1WML likes this.
  8. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't write a single word about out-of-band operation, so you just become an example of not looking into the boxes... :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    M1WML likes this.
  9. KF2YD

KF2YD Ham Member QRZ Page

I WILL NOT BUY ONE.

SUPPORT ONLY THE TRADITIONAl MANUFACTURES

N8ZI likes this.
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

These radios are the New Tradition.

Old school was the best. Times far gone. :(