ad: TinyPaddle-1

Using The International Phonetic Alphabet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX4W, Mar 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K8RDG

K8RDG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Alpha-Mike-Echo-November!

2. KE0QQQ

KE0QQQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Kilo Echo Zero Quack Quack Quack :rolleyes:

W1FVB likes this.
  3. WS6KW

WS6KW Ham Member QRZ Page

Myself, 25 years in law enforcement, we used a different phonetic. That's what I was trained in and that's what come out of my mouth when I use a phonetic.

And guess what.....the other operator has understood my call sign every time and I also understand every call sign even when they use a completely different version of a phonetic alphabet.

I really like it when an operator uses a funny sentence when speaking their call....i.e. MWL=Martha Washington Lives CCW= cows cant whistle.

Our ears are trained to hear the word and instantly know which letter the word is for.

I've got many more things to worry about than the alpha code.

RZ1O and K3XR like this.
  4. WW1I

WW1I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no reason to EVER use non-standard phonetics. The entire reason to have a standard is to help understand the letter in poor conditions. Just like good morse operators don't hear dits and dahs, they hear letters in Morse....standard phonetics do the same thing in phone. Alpha doesn't mean "A"....it is "A". There is only one standard, and that one standard is used around the world. If you are going to use non-standard, why not just say the letter?

I've been a pilot for 40 years. I've flown all over this world. Everywhere in the world, all controllers AND pilots use ONLY standard phonetics because we need to be accurate. I was a military pilot. Everyone in the DOD only uses standard phonetics because we need to be accurate. .....and then there is HAM radio where guys make up their own non-standard phonetics. Silly!

W7GG, K5PO, W9AT and 28 others like this.
  5. N5GX

N5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it very confusing rather than helpful when an OP gives me three differing phonetic representations of his call.
    Now I have to process three transliterations. Too much for my few remaining brain cells.

N4AHO, RZ1O, KR3DX and 6 others like this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Spent over 30 years in a job where on a daily basis we used a "standard" phonetic alphabet for radio communications which was an integral part of our daily routine. Also during that period spent 7 years (including active duty) in an Army reserve unit as a radio operator (O5B20) with another set of phonetics. Have been on the air now for close to 60 years. The phonetics I use for the hobby may or may not reflect the ones used in other services. If you want to offer an opinion that the FCC should adopt, as a matter of regulation, a standard set of phonetics, go ahead and make your case. In the meantime, as it relates to ham radio, there is no such thing as a standard set of phonetics and no requirement to use such. Kilowatt Three X-ray Radio.

KE4KY, WA7PRC and (deleted member) like this.
  7. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

During the DX contest, I heard some north american station trying to make a QSO with a european station, and he kept saying "Novermber December" for "ND". The euro op on the other end simply could not comprehend what he was saying. He must have ID'd at least 20 times, finally saying "November Delta", and she finally repeated "Ok, I got it! November DELTA".

Sheesh. If there is a standard, why use anything else?

KK5R, K0PV/SK2023, N4AHO and 7 others like this.
  8. WX4W

WX4W Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Bryan, I'm not a professional pilot but as a private pilot I quess this is where I learned to use standardized phonetics. When I first soloed in 1978 (back when the CB craze was in full swing) I guess I was so excited that when I was cleared for a touch and go I replied "10-4". One of the most embarrassing days of my life!

KK5R, WU8Y, JA6XZS and 3 others like this.
  9. ZS1ZC

ZS1ZC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not just for poor conditions.... think about trying to understand someone with a different home language i.e. most of the DX we'll ever work. Throwing non-standard, but English, words at them surely won't help. Sure, I've heard some like "Honolulu" being used by non-english speakers, but they've become familiar over time.

W7GG, N4AHO, KR3DX and 2 others like this.
  10. WX4W

WX4W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not saying there is a requirement to use the NATO alphabet. I am trying to make my case by saying we should use it for the reasons stated. Many of the opposing views here are not arguments as to why it shouldn't be used. If it makes anyone feel better to attack rather than debate a point of view so be it.

WR2E, K2WPM, AC5WT and 4 others like this.
  11. WW1I

For the law enforcement officer and others that learned another standard, there is a reason why we switched. Well prior to my arrival in the USAF, there was another standard that was much the same as I hear law enforcement use today. We switched to a new standard that was designed to work better. No two letters or numbers sound the same. This wasn't an accident, but rather carefully done with testing to back it up. Every military I've ever worked with uses the NATO standard, to include non-NATO members. Every ship at sea, every airplane, every air traffic controller, every grunt in the field, uses the new standard. While I understand that Law Enforcement didn't update to the new standard, Ham operators are encouraged to use the new standard. The purpose of the standard it to be STANDARD. No translation or thought required. Only one phonetic for one letter or number. Not two, not dozens, only one can be standard! If you are not going to use the standard, you'd do much better and just say the letter or number, which is just fine.

W9AT, N4AHO, KR3DX and 9 others like this.
  12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Similar to the @KQ6XA quibble, my dilemma is ... is it correctly pronounced PA'-pa, or pa-PA'? :p

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    WZ7U and MI0GTA like this.
  13. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

If conditions are so bad that this kind of thing matters you're just talking at someone and causing QRM. :eek:

WZ7U and K3XR like this.
  14. MI0GTA

MI0GTA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank what ever omnipotent entity it is these day cause I was sick to the back teeth calling 2I0 and getting 3I0 in return or some who thought it funny to call back 210 ( two one zero ) and make an arse of themselves and I refer to some G3 station's on this one because it probably still happens to some 2I0 calls here..
    Now im an MI0 it's mostly all ok now except when someone get's GOLF, TANGO an ALPHA all wrong... I don't speak with my mouth full of marbles and some should clean their ears out or listen a little better..... it's a bloody relief when an op returns your callsign back to you correctly first time round.

15. WW1I

How about that rare DX station and the operator on the other end doesn't speak English as their first language (or perhaps not at all) and the conditions are less than perfect? I would suggest that the use of standard phonetics will help get the correct information in the log. If I'm having a rag chew and just need to ID, I say the letters.

W7GG, K1BRM, NC4VA and 5 others like this.