ad: Alphaant-1

USB Morse Code Keyboard Update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Mar 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AE5GT

AE5GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Winkeyer will echo the characters back through the USB , you have use some software to clean it up . I think there are open source projects out there that allow you to enter keyboard data with paddles . There are CW libraries that you can call . You can also use Fldigi through remote proceedure calls . Fldigi works the best , it can handle multi threading . So you would run your favorite keyer into the audio stream of fldigi and let it decode. The regular cw libraries dont handle multiple streams very well (libcw6) .

It sounds to me like the wheel is being reinvented.

2. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, let me start things off.

Hams send CW with a key and copy CW with a human brain. Computers send and copy Keyboard CW with a with a software driven microprocessor.

CW with a keyboard is like NASCAR with a self driving automobile.

CW with a key takes SKILL. CW with a computer takes hunt and peck mindlessness. You may as well just record a few scripts let the computer do it's thing and go have lunch.

Oh, yeah, You're right. That's already been done with FT8.

Comparing CW keyboarding is like comparing tennis to paddle ball.

3. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have an Elecraft (and probably other radios as well) you can send RTTY or PSK using a paddle. :)

4. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Off topic, but I've been wondering about the concept of hand sent and ear received BPSK Morse code....

AJ6KZ likes this.
  5. N5TZH

N5TZH Ham Member QRZ Page

this was ham radio we all knew cw that was one thing we all had in common if you need a computer to do the cw for you something wrong about that

6. AF7TS

IMHO the arguments about the Morse code requirements are a waste of time.

What interests me about tools such as the one described in the original post is that they are another path to make Morse fun and relevant to another batch of amateurs. We can argue till we are blue in the face about the stick, but it is more fun to grow carrots.

I got my ticket without code. I am slowly working on it. My 10 year old has asked me to set up a pair of keys so he can learn code, even though he has no interest in getting his ticket.

Jon

7. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That seems a little pointless to me. Why not just ditch the CW entirely and go with phone? The fun is in mastering the code.

8. KK6YAE

KK6YAE Ham Member QRZ Page

They do it because sending at 50+ wpm is not only extremely difficult, but if you can do it, you can't do it for hours upon hours. So by using computers to key the rig, and decode the incoming CW, you can converse easily, for long periods of time, with a keyboard, quickly, and you can do it in the CW portion of the band. You can also communicate with guys who do not have a computer, and may actually be portable, using a paddle, and the computer does the tiring part for you, at whatever speed you want to send/rcv.

Same reason we use calculators even though some of us can actually do long division with just a pencil.

9. W2KS

W2KS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use an iambic paddle.....what happened to the maple syrup?

10. NG3P

NG3P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

QEX had a project in the last quarter of last year for devices to do this. I was one of the submitters, and along with the others, won a year's QEX subscription for my entry. I think there were seven of us all together. They called it the "Morse Input Design Challenge", and the next few issues will show the entries.

I put mine together because I have chronic pain, and sometimes all I can move IS a couple of fingers, enough for a paddle, but I still want to send the occasional text or short email. This lets me do that using only a couple of fingers and a minimal amount of other movement. When my pain clamps down, even my HAIR hurts, and typing is a particularly imaginative form of torture.

AF7TS likes this.
  11. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me see...this is a keyboard that sends Morse code on Upper Sideband...
    ...have I got it so far?:rolleyes:

12. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

We have 4 gallons of sap so far... made some "candy" last night and am still boiling the rest down.

13. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

YES! That was the USB I meant!!! ;)

14. AF7TS

Actually the Universal Serial Bus uses a modulated carrier and when you go through the spec it turns out that the Lower SideBand actually gets used.

(Ok, totally false made up factoid, but if you say it with a straight face to the right crowd it sounds plausible)

Jon

15. W2KS

W2KS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome!!!