ad: Sussex-1

USB Morse Code Keyboard Update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Mar 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not sure how best to say 'best wishes in healing the pain issues', from a totally different condition I know how chronic stuff can be totally crazy making.

I am posting to applaud your working on techniques to keep _living_ while healing. Morse code as a UI for 'modern' communications devices for the win!

Jon
    AF7TS

NG3P and AC0GT like this.
  2. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

a computer to copy & send code is cheating, so sad this is the new fad

3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

As I recall Morse code was not originally intended to be sent by hand or decoded by ear. The intent was to use punched cards or tape to send a message, and have punched cards or tape come out the other side. Each end would have had a typewriter like device as the interface for the operators to get text in and out. The use of a key and listening for tones or a clapper came later.

It wasn't "cheating" then, how is it "cheating" now?

4. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

so can you copy code with out the use of a computer is my point

5. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are talking about developing the _human_ skill of copying morse code, then using a computer to send and copy it is very much cheating.

If you are talking about using morse code as a tool for communication, then a computer is simply a different tool that uses this channel coding, not cheating.

And for the purpose of this thread, morse code is being used as the interface to the computer, certainly developing the human skill.

As AC0GT alluded to, as originally used morse code was machine to machine. Essentially 'moveable type' was used to compose messages which were fed through a machine. On the other end the signal caused marks on moving paper. After the fact it was discovered that humans could understand the code 'real time'.

Using a calculator isn't cheating, it is a tool. Still fun and valuable to learn how to do math in your head or on paper.

-Jon

AC0GT likes this.
  6. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Those are some neat examples... although its using a full QWERTY keyboard to send morse code and the device in the video is using a morse paddle it input letters/numbers into a computer (typing).

I love looking at old tech, especially if it still works!

8. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

1 Maple tree, up and down weather - 3 gallons of syrup. Not a bad haul!

Attached Files:

KB7UXE likes this.